Veteran reward system revamp

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Veteran reward system revamp

Post by +Nyx »

Not at all, it just seemed a bit out of the blue, since the wow style mobs were patched in for the original patch in 2013 and have been on display in the patch test room and used for events and quests since then. Seems odd to be bothered by them 4 years later :)
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

I have said it before to many about that patch nyx its an astounding bit of work (and by bit I mean tonne)

I mean its not like you have access to the scripts/builders to convert blender sequences/maya3d etc and export as bitmap sequences (ea proprietary tools no worries tho they are terrible)

you have done amazing, I have only altered some graphics in my personal copy due to OCD (stray pixels, weird transparency clipping)
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Important update regarding veteran ethereal mounts: due to a bug, a player of any age was able to use any of the mounts. This bug has been fixed, and we won't be giving any refunds to those who might have purchased them from other players since it clearly says on the ethereal: "Veteran reward: X months".

There was another oversight with ethereals, they were supposed to be account bound, but they have been out for 6 months now so this is a bit trickier situation. From now on, all ethereal mounts from the vetereran rewards menu will be created as account bound. Existing mounts have a little bit of grandfathering: they are now "Bind-on-Use", so if it was just borrowed from a friend, you can still return it to them. But once you mount it, it becomes bound. If you are already mounted and remain mounted, the binding will not trigger - it becomes bound when you doubleclick the statuette.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

seems a lil bit wrong to say that u wont just wave the magic wand and return ed's to players and ethy's to owner now i have to come up with the ed's to give to my customers and take back the ethy's. but hey least the other people riding around on ethy's they shouldnt have is fair ...... what a flippin joke..i think u should make it right +C i would never have sold an ethy if i had known. i also think that if yall had tested properly it wouldnt have made it through not to mention u had prior experience with probs with ethy's so if any one should be responsible its yall....but no matter what i say or anyone else says its us players that are guilty and have to pay the price. also btw when u give everyone their ed's back just put my artifact points back and take the ethy's since i have no use for 3 or 4 ethy mounts that i cant trade or sell,,,,,perhaps u can tell im lot more then upset wonderin how i can come up with the ed's.
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

dreamstalker wrote:i would never have sold an ethy if i had known.
I'm just curious how you wouldn't have known that a mount that says "Veteran reward: 60 months" and was able to be ridden by even a 6-month player, was an issue? I'm not saying you were purposefully exploiting or anything but logically one would expect that a vet mount for 60 months shouldn't be ridden by just anyone.

It takes a lot of time for +C to investigate who did what and when - it's why recoveries take him so long, and in most of those cases he already knows a date and shard time to look for. It isn't a "wave the magic wand" thing, which implies the utmost simplicity. Imagine the difficulty in trying to find dozens of transactions with no clue who did them or which of the hourly, half hourly, and 15-minute interval saves to check for the past 6+ months? It's not a reasonable expectation. Yes, it would've been nice if this bug had been fixed right away, but we didn't receive any reports about it (that I saw, anyway), until the past week or two.

IMO if one notices something that seems a little odd (like these mounts saying x months but anybody is able to ride them), and one is considering making a bunch of money off of selling them, and one would be pissed if it were to go badly if it turned out to BE a bug... then one should just shoot us a page and ask before doing it, so we can clarify and save one the trouble of situations like this.

tl;dr version- It sucks that it happened this way, and I sympathize. But it's not an easy solution and there are so many more pressing things that +C needs to do, it isn't feasible for him to undo these transactions. He made it so they can be traded back if needed, and that's a pretty good middle ground IMO.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

I'd like to re-iterate what Nyx just said.

If you have a question about something. ASK beforehand.
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

My question is: Can I have a Titans Hammer? :nod: :lol:
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

Can you make a list for seniors who will probably die before being able to get almost everything?
and why did you get rid of the toy things, fun things? and why want footprints and cracks?
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Tufi wrote:and why did you get rid of the toy things, fun things? and why want footprints and cracks?
+Colibri wrote:Notable changes from the old system:
- No more monster statuettes, they are planned to be available through stone crafting.
- No more robes/cloaks, maybe they'll be available in tailoring.
They're being moved to other systems, as +c announced ~6 months ago. The footprints have been a pretty well-loved addition to the vet rewards menu. Just because you may not enjoy them, does not mean they were not a positive addition for most others.
Tufi wrote:Can you make a list for seniors who will probably die before being able to get almost everything?
+Colibri wrote:To see all the possible rewards, open up the achievements menu. (type [achievements or [ach).
+Nyx wrote:Reward display building is now open. It is still under construction, and some things will be updated as their corresponding rewards get bug-zapped. But, rather than keep it closed until everything is perfect, I've opened it now so y'all can see the bulk of the rewards "in person". :)

To visit the display, go to Excelsior halls and follow the path east. The building is just inside the city walls, on the north side of the road.

You should read the thread before replying to complain.
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

I remember hearing first day of the new mounts that under age players could ride them, thought crossed my mind to sell one but it seemed like a clear exploit so I didn't. To turn around and blame the staff because you did it really makes you seem out to lunch lol
TDC Guild
Charon
Elder Scribe

Post by Charon »

dreamstalker wrote:seems a lil bit wrong to say that u wont just wave the magic wand and return ed's to players and ethy's to owner now i have to come up with the ed's to give to my customers and take back the ethy's. but hey least the other people riding around on ethy's they shouldnt have is fair ...... what a flippin joke..i think u should make it right +C i would never have sold an ethy if i had known. i also think that if yall had tested properly it wouldnt have made it through not to mention u had prior experience with probs with ethy's so if any one should be responsible its yall....but no matter what i say or anyone else says its us players that are guilty and have to pay the price. also btw when u give everyone their ed's back just put my artifact points back and take the ethy's since i have no use for 3 or 4 ethy mounts that i cant trade or sell,,,,,perhaps u can tell im lot more then upset wonderin how i can come up with the ed's.
You're kidding? Tell me you're not for real.
Someone is punking us right?
*looks around for hidden camera*

An obvious exploit that you must have
A: Known
B: Taken advantage of by using up so many vet rewards on Ethys.

P.s. If suspect many of your customers were fully aware of what they were doing.
Why else would someone buy an item they "knowingly" can't use unless they know of a bug/exploit
that allows them to use it.
You're under no obligation to refund anything, these people rolled dice and lost.
Life sucks wear a helmet.

Winner +C
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

+Nyx While I appreciate your attention to our "complaints, I went to the display room that your comment that treated us like preschoolers

The only stuff there are banners and ethies which are on the menus and came nowhere close to answering our "complaints".
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

banners, statues, ethies, dye tubs... everything from the veteran rewards menu besides titles, which are self-evident on the [ach menu. Not sure what else you expected to see in the display room.
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

Fun things we can't craft, like a mining cart maybe?
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Tufi wrote:and why want footprints and cracks?
I like the footprints, brings some character to your... character :P Hadn't even crossed my mind that such thing was possible to be made in UO.