Achievements

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

Achievements

Post by +Colibri »

We have something new for you all to... achieve. Achievements!

Type [Ach or [Achievements to open the main gump. There you will see all the things that can currently be done, but these are just a few initial things we added - we still have a lot of ideas written down on paper, and we will also consider ideas submitted here.

So if you have any ideas for new achievements, feel free to post them in this thread.
On a related note, if you have any comments for improving the existing things (either the interface, or the individual achievements that are already available), we welcome your input.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Achievements

Post by +Nyx »

I'm personally really excited about this, it'll save me a lot of coding silly mini-quests for stuff, and instead I'll just make them achievements!

Achievements I have planned already:
- Seasonal quests (individual & overall)
- Elysium (oodles and oodles of 'em)
- Achievements for my regular non-seasonal events (Harry Potter, Storytime, Family Feud, etc)

Things I'd like to see:
- Easter-egg style achievements. I know there's already one or two in there but I love random and unexpected stuff like that so I'd love to see lots more
- As already discussed with +C, the ability to give cool rewards as part of achievements
- Guild-related achievements like "reach x number of members", "obtain a guild hue" etc. In my head I see this as something tied to the guild stones, so they can open the guild achievements gump from the stone itself or using [guildach or somehing similar.
- Perhaps eventually integrate vet rewards into achievements so it's all one system
- In my dreams, I'm sure, but it'd be cool to have some sort of backwards-compatibility so we could create achievements based on quests and players who've already done it can go click a stone to have it check their questlog and update their achievements. This would be nice for integrating old stuff that folks are proud of having gotten to do.
- One time only achievements allowed. For events or quests that may not run again. For example I'm sure everyone who got a glittering ice wrap in +M's christmas event years ago would have liked an achievement to show off about that, even though they may not be wearing the wrap anymore :)

I'm sure I'll think of more but that's all I've got for the moment :)
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Is overall monster kill count doable? Deaths? Peerless? Sgail/Umbris stuff? Just something off the top of my head :P
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

"You did what!"

For an achievment so amazing it impresses the mods.

For example, Baxter's 100 Dr. Who quest runs, or that Dalek bio from a few years ago, or going way back, the complete relayer suit of +60 smith hammers I hear stories about.
Character name: Ebony
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

The dalek bio was an exploit so not something we'd reward someone for having done lol, but I do like the special achievements for things like the 100 Dr who runs and so on.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Just a note about very exotic achievements - for it to be added as a regular achievement, it has to be possible to get it (even though perhaps very hard in some cases, requiring a lot of grind, or simply something that accumulates by itself with a lot of gametime).

The 100 perfect runs is something that might be nice to have as an actual achievement (rather than having to send a help request to get the reward). But it would only qualify if the event will be available again next year, and every year (perhaps a bit different, but still in a very similar form).
Otherwise, there might be one-time achievable things, but such things won't count towards the overall number of achievements that are available, or that you have obtained (in the main progress bar that you can see in the main [ach gump).

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

Love this! Is it possible to have them viewable by others? Probably hard to implement a system like that maybe through the guild stone or something
Adrycks
Legendary Scribe

Post by Adrycks »

Can we see our progress during the completion of an achievement? Or we will just know when we achieved it? Lets say I'm doing the skeleton achievement will I know how many I've killed or will I get a message when my 100 are done??

Thx
In-game name: Drakis.
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Adrycks wrote:Can we see our progress during the completion of an achievement?
Tried it yesterday and not yet at least. Would be cool to see the progress :)

Also, does the kill x monster achievements count in different types of the monsters? For example gargoyles and orcs have many different types...
eirenna416
Apprentice Scribe

Post by eirenna416 »

First of all, YAYAYAYAYAY for Achievements! I cannot imagine how much work has gone into this so far! Thank you for that!

Secondly, my only recommendation would echo others. It would be really nice to be able to see progress. Even just a counter on the bar that says 10/100 skeletons. 1/100 umms. :D

Edit: Ok, another idea... tiers of achievements. 100 mobs= bronze, 500=silver, 1000=gold, 10K=Plat. or something like that.

Again, Thanks!
-Cathranne :dance
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

In the last couple of hours, I believe I have visited, and tithed, at every shrine inn Fel, Tram, and Ilsh.
But no achievement.

Oh, I submitted a bug report, or will in a minute or 2.
Character name: Ebony
apocalypse
Elder Scribe

Post by apocalypse »

This is an awesome addition!! Everyone loves doing achievements :)

I'd second having a counter to show where your at in your current level, 50/100 skeletons etc.
That way you can check and also tell when the mobs your killing are actually counting and registering towards the achievement.

Maybe small rewards for completing each level?

Can't wait for this to develop, very exciting!!
Jean Luc Picard in game
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Ty for all the input. Regarding the issue where it doesn't show progress, there seems to be a bug. Basically, when you kill the first umm, the progress bar shows up and goes up after every kill (but you still have to refresh the gump yourself).

I am currently unable to see why the kill achievements don't work, this will be fixed with a restart that's planned for tuesday. (internally, there are two bundles - none of the achievements in the first bundle work, but the second one is ok).

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

The monster and exploration achievements are now fixed. Happy hunting! More achievements will be added soon.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by GreenBar »

How about including major opponents in the Champions category? Each peerless, each champion boss, and Harrower come to mind. Probably some others. Might need to rename the category if you expand it.

Skill achievement suggestion: Max all skills under barding, crafting, fighting, taming, or thieving skills. (5) achievements in all. Was going to add treasure hunting but skills would overlap with other achievements. An achievement for having 6200 or more total base skill points.