Fall Harvest Quest

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Nyx
Administrator

Fall Harvest Quest

Post by +Nyx »

To begin the quest, seek out Liam the farmer in his home, east from Skara Brae island. He needs assistance with various tasks on his family's farms.

There are 89 possible rewards for this quest, and the rewards are on display in the Archer's guild building to the northwest of Liam's home.

Important Info:
- Say "hail" to Liam to begin the quest.
- Players with the [young] tag cannot participate in this quest, however that is the only age restriction.
- You MUST be patched for this quest!
- Declan has a 30 second delay for his cinematic. Once you've begun speaking to him, do not move until you've completed your objective. Mobbing up multiple players on this NPC will likely cause even worse hangups than usual, so if there are other players in the building working on this quest step, take turns approaching him.
- All of the items you'll need to collect for book book 2 are available on the mobs in the harvest area, as well as on the ground surrounding the fields and also in empty buildings all over the farm.
- Items you must harvest will need to be obtained via the stealing skill. The event space has a drastically reduced reset time for this skill.
- This is a very low-combat quest and should therefore be quite young-player friendly. Just in case, there is a res station in the harvest area, at the crossroads where you enter.
- Most of this quest is based on the NPCs automatically moving you around. Once you've approached and triggered an NPC (Indicated by their greeting you by name), stand still until everything is finished. Otherwise, you could become temporarily stuck.
- All books have a 2 day decay. You must complete your books before this time.
- The maze changes every 7 hours. It could feasibly happen while you are inside the maze, but it is unlikely. Each iteration of the maze has at least 2 ways to get through it.
- If you need to leave any of the quest areas before completing them, you can simply recall out. To re-enter, return to Liam.
- You can check the delay timer on your quest. Go into Liam's home, and stand next to the clock in his bedroom. Then, say 'delay'. It will display the time until your quest can be repeated. Format is Hours:minutes:seconds:milliseconds.

Rules:
- Play nicely. Take turns, help one another out, don't kill steal or in any way be a nuisance. If any player is being a significant problem in the quest areas, they will have their access to the quest revoked.
- The farm area has been carefully blocked-in to prevent players from exiting the event space. Please do not attempt to get past the barriers. If you somehow accidentally get past them, please stand still and send a page explaining how/what happened. Players found wandering around outside of the event space will be exploiting, and quest privileges will be revoked.
- Any attempts to exploit the event (whether by circumventing the one per account system, performing the quest steps afk, etc) will result in revocation of access to the quest and possibly jail.
- If you are jailed for any reason, resulting in 10+ jail tasks or an event ban, your access to this quest will be revoked.

Seasonal Totem: Maple Leaf
If you complete this quest 45 times, you will be able to obtain the seasonal totem. You can check your progress by saying 'runs' to the blue clock in Liam's home. Once you have completed 45 or more runs,say 'hail' to Mandy. She will instruct you what to do from there.

This quest will be open until October 3rd. You can complete it once every 6 hours.

Enjoy, shardlings!

- +N
Adrycks
Legendary Scribe

Re: Fall Harvest Quest

Post by Adrycks »

Maple leaf!!!!! Omg... Go Canada go.... Thx
In-game name: Drakis.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Special prize for 100 runs?
Character name: Ebony
Adrycks
Legendary Scribe

Post by Adrycks »

You can't do 100 runs.. 31 days x 3 times a day.. 93 times if you are "Baxster" perfect :)))
In-game name: Drakis.
Golden Temptress
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Golden Temptress »

It's here it's here it's here :woot: who else has been checking the forums daily lol
Entora
Master Scribe

Post by Entora »

Golden Temptress wrote:It's here it's here it's here :woot: who else has been checking the forums daily lol

ME too!! ME too!! :woot:
aazim
Apprentice Scribe

Post by aazim »

What is
Seasonal Totem: Maple Leaf ?
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

Great job on the quest excellent reward items.

I still hope there was some sort of script assist with you placing the corn for the maze, that is ALOT of corn.

Much Better this year with the stealing cooldown reduced it helped make it flow much better. quest is still longer than any of the seasonal quests by far due to 345 steals, but I suppose the farmers union needs their annual income. Its a well designed quest with alot of variety and like I said I hope some of the item placements are heavily script assisted. You obviously have alot of patience.
Something which evidently I lack after 10 of each in the harvest portion, I felt satisfied, 15 - 20 somewhere around there it crossed my personal tolerance.

But great job Yoda's Adhd not withstanding
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Golden Temptress
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Golden Temptress »

Only thing I can fault is its not repeatable sooner than 8 hours, I'm sitting here looking at my clock itching to go back in already lol :mrgreen:
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Yoda wrote:I still hope there was some sort of script assist with you placing the corn for the maze, that is ALOT of corn.
Nope. I designed the maze on my ipad using a cross-stitching pattern maker (so each square was a 'tile' in game). I designed each version of the maze that way, then I manually created the maze in-game - by hand, placing everything myself. Then, I put the changing portions on xml spawners, which had to be done one item per entry on the spawner, then I made spawners which randomize which option is chosen and then a master spawner which controls those, forcing it to change every few hours.
Golden Temptress wrote:Only thing I can fault is its not repeatable sooner than 8 hours, I'm sitting here looking at my clock itching to go back in already lol :mrgreen:
Wish granted. :) You can now repeat the quest every 6 hours.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

+Nyx wrote:Nope. I designed the maze on my ipad using a cross-stitching pattern maker (so each square was a 'tile' in game). I designed each version of the maze that way, then I manually created the maze in-game - by hand, placing everything myself. Then, I put the changing portions on xml spawners, which had to be done one item per entry on the spawner, then I made spawners which randomize which option is chosen and then a master spawner which controls those, forcing it to change every few hours.

thats quite a industrious repurposing of a cross stich pattern maker .. odd coincidence I wrote one for a swiss company right out of college, it was tedius they were horrible clients..that xml spawner portion would have made me want to kill myself with the nearest available thing that was sharp. each corn is a line item YIKES

but yeah wow corn..

Just got a jack'o'lantern nice to see the animated fire on it
with the adjusted cooldowns it works rather well.

only 2 things I can be at all critical of:
1. The collect function of the quest books I wish functioned like spellkeys or a toolhouse and kept target till you hit escape
2. Slightly less harvesting

overall outstanding.. when the jack'o'lantern fire palette rolled i was like =)~
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Note: leaving 'breadcrumbs' in the corn maze is considered cheating/exploiting. If you are caught doing so, you will lose event privileges. Don't drop anything on the ground to help make the maze easier.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

I meant to ask about that, but then the person I think I saw doing it ended up following me through the maze and I forgot.
Character name: Ebony
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

+C recently fixed a bug which was allowing the stolen items to stay in the player's pack indefinitely without decaying appropriately. You should now notice that all of the stolen quest items decay within minutes of being stolen. Since this wasn't working before, and I'm sure some folks have gotten into the rhythm of stealing all of a type before then adding them to the book, I changed the decay time from 2 minutes to 4 minutes.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Since apparently nobody reads the quest storyline in the gumps ( :roll: :P ) and therefore nobody seemed to know why Tessa needed scarecrows en masse, I've now made it a bit more obvious via the mob functionality of the crows and the deco around the area.

Read the stinkin' story, people! :lol: