PSA: The New Help System

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Nyx
Administrator

PSA: The New Help System

Post by +Nyx »

Thanks to much hard work by +C, the new help system is now fully live for all users.

This system is really very self explanatory if you take the time to carefully read everything as you go along, however we are seeing a lot of repeat pages, poorly documented requests, or inappropriately flagged pages. In light of this, I have updated the wiki entry for the help system to reflect the new build and to provide some basic tutorial steps and information.

All players should read the wiki entry before submitting any new pages in-game. Once you have an understanding of the new system, I think you will be much happier with it, just like we are! I also think that when you get into the habit of paging properly with the information provided to you in this tutorial, you will find that you experience much quicker responses to pages. :nod:

Help System Tutorial & Important Information
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Re: PSA: The New Help System

Post by Melkor »

In the part of the wiki you linked to it says houses need a space of 7 tiles apart on the north and south and 5 on the east and west. However on the codex it has long stated and still does at the time of writting this that there has to be a 2-tile walkable gap on east/north/west sides, and a 5-tile walkable gap on the south, between any two houses.

Seems like a discrepancy, wanted to point it out.

Thank you

http://www.uoex.net/codex/services/housing
TDC Guild
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Generally, when we are placing the house, we have to account for the yard, so 7 is our general rule. But in some cases, 5 is workable, and if you are placing it yourself it doesn't take the yard space into account and thus you could place a bit closer.
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

Makes sense, thank you.
TDC Guild
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Thanks for announcing the new system along with the wiki page with extra info.

About the urgency of handling - keep in mind that this is a game, it's not like we're a gas company where if you have a gas leak, someone has to sit in a car right away and drive there. Sometimes it really is urgent but usually things can wait. So in this new system, I've intentionally left out the periodic message that you get if you have a help request in queue, since it sorta falsely suggests that someone will be with you in just a minute, at any hour of the day.

There's still a few improvements and bugs, but generally this is it. A portal side of the system will be available as well, but any extra features with it will only be available for staff, or players in special groups such as radio DJs, wiki editors, etc.

Btw, about house placement: codex page is correct and up to date, there must be at least 5 walkable tiles north-to-south and 2 tiles east-to-west in between. This rule is only for staff assisted placement, but if you use the house placement tool to place it yourself then i think it's just 1 tile east-west and something like 2-3 tiles north-south.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Iago Venport
Elder Scribe

Post by Iago Venport »

thanks for the heads up on this...i've been annoying Requiem like crazy with multiple pages. :oops:

Also just an fyi for house placement tool placed houses it's 1 tile east/west and 5 tiles north/south.

Anyway system looks great, although i do wish there was a display of some sort (much like the reminder)
that says i'm number X in queue...at least then i could tell someone might be on...now it's just limbo.

-Iago
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

The 'limbo' is sorta on purpose. We removed the alerts because like +C said, it was giving people the impression that someone would be with them immediately 24/7. On top of that, people griped in world chat a lot about the alerts, ie: "it said I'm first in the queue and that a staff member was on, but now it says there's nobody on, they're ignoring me/how dare they not get to me/etc" It caused more problems than it was worth. This way, you are informed when someone is working on your page, and in the interim no alerts are given, but you can check the status of your open pages any time you like.You can check your page in the menu, which will show you if it's been claimed by anyone yet, replied to, etc. If not, then nobody has had a chance to get to it.
ashleyacal
Passer by

Post by ashleyacal »

i'm sure there are a lot of problems with paging and the new system but i'm sure its because were all new to it and some are confused. great job though once the kinks get sorted out it will be much better than the last system :)
Ashtastic (in game)