Portal 2.0 (pre-beta)

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Portal 2.0 (pre-beta)

Post by +Nyx »

Most, if not all, of those are things that will get added when the new portal is almost done. Right now +C is working mainly on adding functionality, since that's the hard part, and then the fine-tuning of aesthetics and UI will come later :)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Good news: portal is now "beta". Still on the same address: http://portal.uoex.net/v2/

For those of you who tested out the pre-beta, this is a noticeable improvement. In the previous version i focused mostly on planning & coding the backend, the core of how things work. In this stage I worked mostly on the user interface (with some backend improvements).

Highlights:
- tabbed interface that works both on desktop and smartphones,
- private messages support
- chat channel interface has a much nicer interface, auto-scrolls as new messages come but only if you're currently scrolled at the bottom.

In reference to an earlier reply, what it's for: aside from an improved web-based interface with the shard, for chatting & PMs, it's mainly intended as a hub to house all sorts of staff tools, editors, viewers... the in-game menus are a pain to create and maintain, plus they're very limited (can't even select some text hehe). Web-based is probably the best choice for our scenario, since there's just one "app" to code that works on desktop&iOS&android (instead of having to create 3 different applications).

Notes / known bugs:
- if you reply to someone's private message via the portal, all messages from that person will be removed from your inbox. (but only messages that the person sent after this feature was added, April 22nd at 19:00 shard time. So, old messages in your inbox will be left untouched).
- loading more history in a chat channel is a bit slow, needs optimization. Also, needs a by-date loading (if you want to check the history of a day 2 months ago, so you don't have to keep clicking "more history"). Preferably i'd like to make it so that history auto-loads as you scroll up, but at this time too much work for such a mini feature.
- as you open "see all..." messages, the menu gets spammed with all the past messages. Basically, 3 most recent conversations should load up in the menu, so this still needs some polishing. Both the conversations window (where it lists all other players you exchanged messages with) as well as the actual message history window, need a way for "load more history".
- bit of an issue with server-to-server synchronization, the portal doesn't know your latest password if you recently changed it. So if you have changed it, try logging in with the previous password that you had (around February).
- alas, no help requests support yet, development is going a slower than anticipated. Well, i'm trying to build a solid piece of software that will power our community for years to come.

If you have any suggestions or bugs to report, feel free to reply to this thread. The whole thing is ripe enough to accept inputs from users (but please read the above notes first).

P.S.: if the portal server is restarted, you get disconnected. while in this stage, portal server restarts will not be announced. though, main game server of course will be announced, these are two separate systems.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

I know you've probably already thought of these, or have them in the works, but here you go:

1) A way to close a tab you have open
2) A listing of online players/staff (if you have permissions to pm them?) (is there a way to hide by turning pm's off?) (a way to hide as staff)
3) A way to open a new tab to message a player
4) Various in game features in the current chat system (block a player, friend a player, etc)
Corn
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Corn »

Loving new portal.

Thanks!!
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

The tabs aren't working for me.
samsung smartphone (android) using the provided browser.
Character name: Ebony
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Annachie wrote:The tabs aren't working for me.
Thanks, will look into that. Forgot to mention, i'm testing with desktop firefox , desktop chrome, and mobile chrome. Can't seem to find the build-in browser on my Sony Xperia (i bet chrome "took care" of it hehe). So you can download the chrome browser from the playstore.
Not a fan of Apple so i dont have any iOS devices, but eventually i'll borrow one to check how things are working there.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
djpaulus
Elder Scribe

Post by djpaulus »

Loving the portal.
This one actually works (never could get the old one to work)

I notice some times posts show as if they have come up doubled. then when I tab back in its ok.
Overall.. amazing, thank you :D
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

+Colibri wrote:
Annachie wrote:The tabs aren't working for me.
So you can download the chrome browser from the playstore.
Not a fan of Apple so i dont have any iOS devices, but eventually i'll borrow one to check how things are working there.
Safari on the Ipad does the same thing.

(Sorry about the size, too lazy to fix :) )

The menu bar isn't rendering properly so it's being covered by the text as soon as you open a tab.

Character name: Ebony
AcidBern
Elder Scribe

Bug Report

Post by AcidBern »

I have a bug report to add. +N may have passed this on to +C yet.

[removed for safety]

Thanks!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Thanks acidbern, Nyx did forward the issue to me and it will be included in the next update.

Although it's not that hard to find this bug, still i rather removed it to avoid people crashing stuff :) (you know, people will want to try if it really works hehe).
Though, this crash probably wasn't due to this, but a more server-to-server data sync issue.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
AcidBern
Elder Scribe

Post by AcidBern »

Sorry 'bout that. After I read this, I realized how dumb it was to share that whole bug with the rest of the world. Sorry if I caused any inconvenience. Kinda dumb on my part
heyyo
Legendary Scribe

Post by heyyo »

was unable to get the original portal working, but portal 2 works fine. It's very nice. I suggest that maybe you replace the portal link on main website page to the 2.0 version or add another link altogether.
darthredeye
Journeyman Scribe

Post by darthredeye »

anyone else having issues with the new portal not connecting? it hasnt worked for me in a few days. :cry:
Adrycks
Legendary Scribe

Post by Adrycks »

same here...its on and off..on my cell and cpu
In-game name: Drakis.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Ok should work now, the server crashed.

(Old Colibrian proverb)