Books!

Alpharius
Master Scribe

Books!

Post by Alpharius »

I think that this wouldn't be too difficult to do (but what do I know?), but would it be possible to have player-written books spawned in some of the empty bookshelves scattered throughout the world? I recall on the OSI shards that there were dozens and dozens of books that had been written from an in-game perspective in the various libraries throughout the world. I think it would be neat to have something like this for our little community. How amusing would it be to open up a bookshelf in Castle Britain and find "Love Poems by Fiernocht"?

Anyhoo, just a suggestion.
Alpharius (verb) - To do something stupid yet hilarious.
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Books!

Post by +Nyx »

Books cannot be spawned 'prefilled' or even duped with their content.

The only way to duplicate a book with its content, sadly, is inscription. So a staffer would have to utilize the inscription skill to duplicate a bunch of books, then go around placing them - and it's not really something I'm interested in doing, personally.
Alpharius
Master Scribe

Post by Alpharius »

I'd be more than willing to do it. If there was a book donation chest with books that people wrote, I'd be more than happy to inscribe the copies and plop them into the various shelves around the world. All I would need would be access to the various bookshelves.
Alpharius (verb) - To do something stupid yet hilarious.
Eos
Master Scribe

Post by Eos »

Yes, I am curious about this too! Are there any ways that players could be more involved with the decoration of the shard?

Is there a way to enable a player to, say, have a zero-cost yard wand within a cities limits? So, you could appoint a Britain gardener, a Cove caretaker, etc...

Or, something like the rentable townhouses work, but with the NPC shops in town. A player could redecorate certain shops, or guilds could have control over certain districts, etc. Zero-cost, but on some kind of honor system to maintain a certain aesthetic quality.

Just ways the players can be more involved artistically. It would make the world feel more lived in. Create more games to play. Make it more lovely. And give some players a way to participate more prominently in a way that isn't necessarily hack-n-slash nor social but still of great benefit to the cOmMuNiTy.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Unfortunately, no there's not really any easy or viable way to do that. It's possible +C could make some of the shops rentable to players but that would just be a nightmare to manage for us and I don't think it's something he would want to do.

The closest thing 'available' to a player having an active role in decorating public areas of the shard is my Elysium player-deco project, where I'm inviting a few players to create buildings for Elysium. They log on to our private test shard, are given staff powers and instructed how to use them, then I show them the location and give them an idea what the building is going to be used for. They build the place, I approve it and then we port it over to the live shard. However, the first player in line for that hasn't begun yet, so I won't be ready for others for awhile.

For the books, it's not a matter of just putting the books in chests - you can do that already, but the items will decay as if they were just placed on the ground. Since we can't make a spawner to spawn pre-filled books, then we couldn't do anything about it either; except perhaps make the books immovable, but then nobody can take them either.
Ishamael
Elder Scribe

Post by Ishamael »

In the immortal words of Star Treks Scotty, "The more you fancy up the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." Too much deco in town would just make things load a bit slower, kinda like it does in TC an MZ.