Quest-reward Collections: Trade-in?

+Nyx
Administrator

Quest-reward Collections: Trade-in?

Post by +Nyx »

I've been mulling over an idea to potentially put out a box for each of my temporary, deco-collection based quests that would allow a player to submit, say 6 'junk' rewards they didn't need/want in order to be able to select one they did need. It would have to be within the same 'tier' of reward to prevent too much 'trade up', but it would in essence aid folks in completing their collections, while also helping to reduce the overall number of stockpiled/unwanted rewards.

I'm not sure, though, how useful/desirable an addition this would be to the playerbase, and it would be a pretty big chunk of work to go back and make these for every one of my quests. Before I do, I'd like to make sure it's something that's going to be utilized enough to justify the time and effort.

Whatcha guys think?
Ishya
Passer by

Re: Quest-reward Collections: Trade-in?

Post by Ishya »

it is a great idea +nyx i think people would use it alot for the harder items / drops in the quest if they have alot of one and can get the one they need i know personally i would use it if it was avalible sorry i am a horrid speller lol
Angelique In Game :)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Additional question:
For those who like the idea, would you still utilize the trade-in if the reward you chose became account bound?

I ask because I'll have to think of ways to keep this from being abused and that's an easy way to do it.
Ishya
Passer by

Post by Ishya »

ahh never thought about that i am still kinda new to the server so i am unsure but i would say yes to an extent if people abuse it you could make it to where they could not use it for a time maybe...
Angelique In Game :)
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

even though im currently stuck on my dr who collection with one missing item I didnt like the trade in idea because it would devalue the really rare items. making the selected item account bound changed my opinion and I would definitely use the trade in box for that last item I need. great idea I hope it happens.
GrundyGolem
Apprentice Scribe

Post by GrundyGolem »

I personally am not a completionist when it comes to collections but it would be cool to trade repeats in for something I may like better then what I have account bound would be ok if thats what we would have to do to get the option period but like the dr who quest line I did it I think 93 times I didn't get that many repeats that it would be out of control to trade the items with the turn ins because I only personally recieved like 4 sets of 5 extras total
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Alright it seems there's enough interest that it's worth trying. I'll do one for the doctor who quest, we'll leave the system set up for a week. I'll see what kind of usage it gets and how many items it 'sinks'. If the results are good, I'll go ahead and go back through and make them for the other quests for when they run next.
Alex
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alex »

1) I think this is a great idea. I wish it would have been here sooner and for past quests
2) Not too much of a fan of account bound for these items, even though I primarily do it for collection purposes rather than selling, I guess I could live with it if it helps
+Nyx wrote:If the results are good, I'll go ahead and go back through and make them for the other quests for when they run next.
Just 2 clarifications:
- This will be done for the current (just concluded) and future quests only right? and it wont be available for say the 2015 Spring Quest? or 2014 Christmas Quest?
- Will it be able to add say, 2015 Dr. Who Quest Items in the 2016 Dr. Who Quest Item Chest? or 2015 Spring Quest Items in the 2016 Spring Quest Chest?

Thanks!
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

This will just be a test run, using the doctor who quest rewards. I'm sure I'll think that something or other about it needs to be changed, but once I get it working in a way that pleases me, these trade-in stations will become available in future runs of those quests. So, for the rest of the quests for this year, and then the next time the V-day, St. Patty's, and Spring quests run, they would also have them. Right now I think it'd be fine to have them accept rewards from previous years as well, but I'll think on that some more once I see how it works with a quest like that - the halloween quest, I think. Since that has run the past several years, I'll be able to get an idea how it affects things to take in the older rewards after the trade-in is done for the halloween quest; I'll decide what to do from there.
Asmodean
Legendary Scribe

Post by Asmodean »

Rather than seeing the rewards account bound, I would rather see a true item sink. Trade in 2 (or more) unwanted prizes, for 1 wanted prize. These aren't re-layers, or gear to get someone ahead, but rather cool decoration items. I just don't see a need for them to be account bound.

Also, on your point of allowing them from previous years, Do you mean trade in previous years for a current reward? Or trade in current rewards for something you may have missed last year?
Alex
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alex »

Asmo, what I meant with previous years was I was hoping to be able to complete all the previous years sets instead of selling duplicates, triples etc. (and thus not reducing the item count on the shard). Also, I also meant for same quest items to be traded only, so Spring Quest Items for Spring Quest Items, Christmas Quest Items for Christmas Quest Items, etc. Where I see this getting complicated is with year tag i.e. "2014" or "2015" etc. OR I am not good at coding and if this even possible, to eventually have "rooms" for each quest with multiple chests representing the different years (maybe go back to 2012 when they first started). This will certainly take some time and effort since all the quest items would need to be separated into different tiers.

My comment on the current quest trade in test run: I would take this one with a grain of salt, i.e. the timer of 6 hours was higher than other quests, also the number of players running the quest was less than other quests (due to its difficulty), so the number of items of trade in would be significantly lower than i.e. the easy Christmas Quest or St. Patricks or Spring Quest. Don't hold me accountable on the timer comment, my memory is not the best.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Asmodean wrote:Rather than seeing the rewards account bound, I would rather see a true item sink. Trade in 2 (or more) unwanted prizes, for 1 wanted prize.
That's exactly what we're talking about doing - trading in numerous unwanted prizes for 1 wanted one...

Account binding has nothing to do with whether or not it's an item sink. It simply keeps it from affecting the pricing market for those items as well as limiting possible abuse/exploits with it.

As for different years - you wouldn't get a 2014 tagged item by turning in 2014 items. I'll give it backwards compatibility in that you'll be able to turn in 2014 items that are the same (other than the year tag) as the 2015/2016 items in order to obtain an item that would then have the current year's tag. Any rewards that are brand-new for the current year would be separated into their own trade-in tier and you'd have to trade those in, in order to get those. You couldn't trade in a bunch of 2014 stuff to get something brand new in 2016, for example.

Trading across seasonal quests was never even a consideration and will not be done. It will be spring rewards for spring rewards, christmas for christmas, etc.

Alex - don't worry, I'm not going to judge the system solely on the turnout for the doctor who quest. I'm going to turn this out for the halloween event as well, regardless, because the halloween quest usually has a ton of people in it the entire month. That way I can have a better baseline of how this system is received and utilized
Alex
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alex »

+Nyx wrote:As for different years - you wouldn't get a 2014 tagged item by turning in 2014 items. I'll give it backwards compatibility in that you'll be able to turn in 2014 items that are the same (other than the year tag) as the 2015/2016 items in order to obtain an item that would then have the current year's tag. Any rewards that are brand-new for the current year would be separated into their own trade-in tier and you'd have to trade those in, in order to get those. You couldn't trade in a bunch of 2014 stuff to get something brand new in 2016, for example.
Excellent. Thank you for the clarification. Its pretty much what I had in mind.
+Nyx wrote:Alex - don't worry, I'm not going to judge the system solely on the turnout for the doctor who quest. I'm going to turn this out for the halloween event as well, regardless, because the halloween quest usually has a ton of people in it the entire month. That way I can have a better baseline of how this system is received and utilized
Brilliant.