Tailoring revamp

+Colibri
Administrator

Tailoring revamp

Post by +Colibri »

The tailoring was updated by +Arden to use the new craft system menus. All the items you can craft is the same.

Along with the tailoring "remastering", we also made an improvement to the overall craft system: it's now possible to set the bag in which the crafted items are placed. This goes well with another update, where you can fill an entire bod from a bag without having to target every item separately.

Also, this update brings in automated tailor machines - automatic loom and automatic spinning wheel, we'll post more when they're tested and available.

There were some issues reported, which we're already fixing and I think they'll be added with the next server restart, planned on Tuesday:
- cannot craft exceptional items
- cannot repair items (forgot to add the button).
- another issue with some resources not being recognized

We didn't make an official thread soon enough, so there were already 2 threads:
http://uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11461&start=0
http://uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11467&start=0
From now on, let's use this one.

There's also a quick touchup on the tailoring bods planned, more info here:
http://www.uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11471
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Tufi
Master Scribe

Re: Tailoring revamp

Post by Tufi »

I don't know where my post went. Sooo special cloth still not craftable. I am not tailoring for awhile so not getting into other stuff. I am not a fighter, only crafting, gardening, and building. I hope the rest of the changes don't nerf the game for me. Crafters and vendors became useless in OSI and it crashed. I don't want to leave losing my few sources of income.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

A lot of the crafting became easier with these updates. For instance, you can just copy a whole spellbook, rather than making all the spells, and putting them in 1 by 1.

A lot of the normal "crafts" you may be used to aren't super valuable here, because of the relative ease you can get what many would consider Over Powered gear. We will be taking steps to update the various crafting systems, but this change has to happen first.

Don't lose hope. :)
Rhiemath
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Rhiemath »

Is there a thread somewhere that explains the new tailoring repair deeds and their use? From what I'm hearing I'm concerned that armor made of special leathers and runic suits are going to become very expensive to maintain. Also, do we need to worry about relayers becoming susceptible to durability loss?
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Nerfed repair deeds. Disappointing.
lilbear68
Master Scribe

Post by lilbear68 »

personally I would like to see a comprehensive rundown of these changes and an explaination of how this will actually improve game play or is this just a stumbling block to slow down players that are advancing 'too fast'
si vis pacem parabellum
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

lilbear68 wrote:personally I would like to see a comprehensive rundown of these changes and an explaination of how this will actually improve game play or is this just a stumbling block to slow down players that are advancing 'too fast'
Staff have made these changes with the players in mind from everything that I’ve seen so far, I don’t understand how it can be construed as creating a stumbling block for players, or to slow people down?

If you have the materials you can just set it to make x amount of stuff rather than having to click over and over, and you can even create to a specified bag. I can see that this is useful in the situations where you are macroing to increase skill level as you can then create a macro to just recycle the contents of that bag, or you can use the new "fill bod from bag" function.
In game name: Abarai
lilbear68
Master Scribe

Post by lilbear68 »

either way I don't see how this will significantly improve game play, working spinning wheels are not what I had in mind as an improvement and looking at the cost for repair deeds looks like this will be an added expense or burden for newer players that use leather and if it continues on to blacksmith and fletch repairs too?
add that change does not automatically mean improve
si vis pacem parabellum
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

Suppose you need 20 exceptional and half of them aren't. You still have to tailkor in smaller amounts over and over to avoid wasting resources. Is that right? Can we specify we must want exceptional to avoid this?
Rhiemath
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Rhiemath »

The overhaul is okay in general. My concern is the added cost of repair deeds. Presently costing about 3500gp for one ethereal leather repair deed (assuming the leather is purchased on exex) may be extreme and I think we can only expect that cost to go way up. Let's face it, not everyone can handle ethereal elementals or tame mules, so it's all down to gold piece value for the average player. That being said, it does tempt me to start working on Bods. That part sounds like a huge improvement.
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

Ah I see, I didn't realise what the change to repair deeds was.

I can see how this would be problematic for newer players in particular, as you're right that ethereal leather and high end leathers aren't easy to come by. I did read somewhere about reward re-balancing, maybe they are going to have more leather in the rewards for lower end single bods? That might even things out and be a potential source of leather for newer players to craft repair deeds rather than having to buy them?
In game name: Abarai
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Regarding repair deeds, keep in mind that repairing an item directly is usually cheaper, but a deed that anyone without a tailor present can use anywhere, on average needs more resources.

Most items which are regular leather, the cost of repair is still virtually free - to repair 250 hit points, you need 12 leather, price of which is about 10gp per.
About repairing higher-end leathers, especially ethereal, well it does make sense that if the item is crafted from some material and you get that material's bonuses, you need that material to maintain the item. But yeah, certain leathers are hard to get - would have to then revisit how common the leathers are - so I'm thinking maybe there could be a way to repair ethereal items with just regular leather, but more of it.

I will be on the lookout to see how many items are actually repaired, how much leather of which kind went into it. Also if the prices of leather fluctuate considerably, where i will also have to take into consideration if this was organic growth or just a random trade by someone (for certain things on exex, just a few million can considerably change the prices).
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

I will suspend judgement on the outcomes of adding resources into the equation and its impact on players etc.. but for clarity. how far does this granularity go, say for example you made a leaf or bone armor which take different ingredients entirely.

ie: stitchers mittens. would the repair deed only require the leather, or would the captured essence and other peerless ingredients also be required?
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Rhiemath
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Rhiemath »

Wait, am I understanding that repair deeds don't require us to be in proximity to a tailor anymore to use? If that's the case, what are they for? To supplement those without the skill to repair directly? Also, I'm hearing that repairing directly no longer has a chance of reducing the overall durability of our gear. Is this true? If so, most of my fears are without cause. I'll simply start repairing directly.
Ysara
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ysara »

I'm having the issue of the sewing kit not seeing my regular cloth now. It doesn't seem to recognize uncut cloth either. Should I be using something else? I didn't have this issue before. It was the issue with not being able to make exceptional items. I can't test if this has been fixed. Should it be working correctly now?

I'm hoping that this is actually the correct place that we should be reporting bugs. Should I just stop using the tailoring until you let us know that it's been completely fixed or do we still need to test it?