Veteran Reward Titles

+Nyx
Administrator

Veteran Reward Titles

Post by +Nyx »

This is a suggestion thread for titles to be included in the veteran rewards rotations.

Titles must be less than 30 characters (including spaces), and must adhere to the shard's codex.

When suggesting a title, please specify which year tier it is for. Currently I am looking for suggestions for years 3, 5, 8, 10, 12 and 15.

These titles will appear on hover, beneath the player name/custom title and guild information, as pictured below:

Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Re: Veteran Reward Titles

Post by Gaara »

I think it could simply state the years you've played "5 Year Veteran", "10 year", etc
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

I'd considered that, but since there won't be a title for every single year, the title quickly becomes inaccurate and I think that would get irritating for the players over time. It's not feasible to have the titles change every year automatically, nor to have a title they can select from the menu every year.
Versales
Elder Scribe

Post by Versales »

I think some cool titles would be

Year 3 - Veteran
Year 5 - Grizzled Veteran
Year 8 - Honored Veteran
Year 10 - Elder Veteran
Year 12 - Legendary Veteran
Year 15 - The Everlasting Veteran

Or maybe make it like skills
3 - Apprentice
5 - Journeyman
8 - Adept
10 - Master
12 - Grandmaster
15 - Elder
16+(?) - Legendary
Last edited by Versales on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valorian in game!
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

+Nyx wrote:I'd considered that, but since there won't be a title for every single year, the title quickly becomes inaccurate
I wouldn't consider that necessarily a bad thing, it would be something to aspire for and not having a new title every year makes it more "valuable". I'd like to hear some other vets' thoughts on this :P

Oh, the titles could also be based on the skill titles, grandmaster [insert something], legendary, etc...

^ nice one versales :D posted at the same time
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

+Nyx you could create account bound deeds that were free in the "veteran stone" and would change your title. This way any veteran could just get the title they earned and if it was blocked to the veteran year no one could use inappropriate titles for their "level". When you achieved another year of veteran you could just get another title deed .

This way there could actually be a title per year
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
patrix
Elder Scribe

Post by patrix »

Maybe just use Roman numerals.. 3 = iii, 5 = v, 8 = viii etc
Michiko in game

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle..
Irina Dunn
fingers
Legendary Scribe

Post by fingers »

3: Humble Veteran
5: Honest Veteran
8: Compassionate Veteran
10: Valorous Veteran
12: Honorable Veteran
15: Spiritual Veteran
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

patrix wrote:Maybe just use Roman numerals.. 3 = iii, 5 = v, 8 = viii etc
i like this one
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Great suggestions, folks, thanks :)

So far I'm strongly leaning toward the skill-based names, with some added fluff to round the title out so it's not just one word. Something like "Excelsiorian Adept", "Excelsiorian Elder", etc. Or perhaps "Excelsior Adept" though that tweaks my OCD since it's not really grammatically correct. :lol: Possibly something along the lines of "Adept of Excelsior". Thoughts?

Oh, also. Eventually there will be a gump that will let you browse all your unlocked titles and select which one to display. That was already part of Elysium & Touria's coding needs and it'll work handily for other types of special titles, like these.
patrix
Elder Scribe

Post by patrix »

Hmm, my initial reaction to the use of 'adept' etc is - 'nah, it doesn't work for me'

So why doesn't it? Well for a start if at 3 yrs I am 'adept' I remain with that title until i hit 5 yrs and I consider myself to be more than 'adept', sort of feels like an insult to time and effort i have put in...
The titles are 'honorifics' awarded for loyalty to the shard and need to be different from skill development titles.

Rather than titles how about a simple graphic using the EX symbol and a number? Ex iii Ex v etc?
Michiko in game

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle..
Irina Dunn
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

Id have to think about the what but I 100% agree with michiko on this.
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Guys, we need to stick to the topic at hand - it has to be titles. Graphics and whatnot, that's way outside of the scope of this update.

Regarding the skill titles, I can see why that might not be a super desirable thing, but everybody will be deciding which vet rewards they want to purchase for themselves. The titles won't be forced on you.

Roman numerals...I don't think that they are going to be anything except confusing for most people. On casual glance, someone wouldn't necessarily know what it's about or for. In addition, since we already have plans in place for Elysium & Touria titles, some of those numerals would conflict with what's already planned.

A title should be an actual title - not just an ascii symbol or numeral, so let's brainstorm more creative titles. They don't have to match the skill ranks, but something that implies that it's a veteran title, and has enough ranks for the years listed above.
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

My head is empty but there's a veteran title system in OSI which is related to UO's lore, how about something that is related to Excelsior's history/custom content or such... Not very refined idea but still...

EDIT: Oh, virtue titles *could* work, something that's unlocked and could be changed when a person wants to do so, though i don't know how "into" people are to the UOs own lore/virtue stuff as people don't really RP here that much :P
Last edited by Gaara on Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

I feel you on the empty-head front..I've had such a hard time getting inspired to come up with good titles. I'm completely done with the rest of the veteran reward updates, but these stinkin' titles are being a problem :lol:

I had kind of a similar idea to what you're suggesting, something more to do with being on and around the shard, exploring etc. Trouble is I think we'll eventually want to add exploratory achievements that would then likely come with some titles, and I don't want to have eaten up all the good titles already for vet rewards. *deep sigh* Developer problems :lol: