Elysium FAQ

+Nyx
Administrator

Elysium FAQ

Post by +Nyx »

I'm always happy to answer questions regarding Elysium (and to an extent Touria, but as that's +V's project, I don't have the same level of knowledge), but answering questions in all our different mediums means the information is scattered and there ends up being a lot of gossip and misunderstanding. So, I figured I'll make a wiki that covers the questions I get asked most often, or the things that I see folks are confused about. I'll update it as folks ask new stuff, and y'all can post questions in this thread. I'll answer them here, then update the wiki page to keep it all in an easy-to-read format for future readers.

For simplicity, please keep questions specific to Elysium. +V will make one for Touria if he chooses :)

Elysium FAQ wiki page
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Re: Elysium FAQ

Post by Melkor »

Thanks for the FAQ and the ability to ask questions. I have been wondering about a few things.

Ethereal Mounts
Will there be quests or some way to obtain new graphic Ethereal Mounts?

Elysium Pets
Will Elysium pets only be able to be used in Elysium? Will non-Elysium pets and mounts be allowed in?

Elysium Weapons/Gear
Any restrictions on weapons and/or gear in and out of Elysium?

Timeframe
Is a realistic timeframe for opening like 3-5 years? And is there anything the players can do to help?
TDC Guild
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Melkor wrote:Thanks for the FAQ and the ability to ask questions. I have been wondering about a few things.

Ethereal Mounts
Will there be quests or some way to obtain new graphic Ethereal Mounts?

Elysium Pets
Will Elysium pets only be able to be used in Elysium? Will non-Elysium pets and mounts be allowed in?

Elysium Weapons/Gear
Any restrictions on weapons and/or gear in and out of Elysium?

Timeframe
Is a realistic timeframe for opening like 3-5 years? And is there anything the players can do to help?
You're welcome, I actually kinda love answering questions (about pretty much anything), since it helps folks get an idea about what's going on behind the scenes and lessens any misconceptions/misunderstandings.

To answer your questions:

Ethy mounts, yes there will be some. I'll have them available in Elysium and probably give a couple to V for Touria, but exact methods haven't been determined yet. Probably one or two on faction vendors, and probably a couple for quests. I do plan to add one or two patch graphic mounts to the vet rewards system after Elysium and Touria are open and I know what's still available to use

Pets - I don't intend to make Elysium pets only usable in Elysium. There may be some types of gear/pets/etc that we need to restrict that way, but I'd only do so if +C insists. Otherwise, I want the facet to fit in and flow with the older content as best possible. There will be some areas and encounters in Elysium where pets are disallowed, but I don't plan to disable them across the entire facet.

Weapons/Gear- Not at this time, and not unless I can figure out a good way to do it that won't immediately be exploited :lol:
If I did figure out how to do it, it'd mainly be to gear-check that someone was at least able to survive in Elysium. I do plan, tentatively, to limit who's allowed in at first to prevent some of our more mercenary-minded vets (those only interested in profits and ego, rather than enjoying the place for the fun of it) from going in immediately and locking down the market on certain things. I've not decided how to do that, but I'm thinking probably I'll limit entry to a max account age for the first few months, and anyone older wanting to go in can talk to me about it.

Timeframe - 3-5 years from now? God, no. No. Nononono. +C had tentatively given a March completion for the facets coding, but that won't be met, so I tentatively hope he can finish the list (which we haven't been adding to for a year now, by the way, the list doesn't grow hehe) before summer. Then I'd be able to spend the summer months developing and beta testing, and open after that. It's really hard for me to give an estimate, since at this juncture it is entirely dependent on when +C gets things done. As for player participation, the only real way to help would be if there were less shard issues for +c to deal with when he's on - that's pretty unlikely to happen, I think. :lol: We did have a player-scripting group going for a brief while but +C took that over and I don't think much has happened with it since then. It was unlikely to be successful from the beginning because +C finds it easier just to do stuff, rather than babysit others' and then have to check every line of their code and test their scripts himself.
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

Quote " I've not decided how to do that, but I'm thinking probably I'll limit entry to a max account age for the first few months, and anyone older wanting to go in can talk to me about it."
so again along with mistvale im missin out cause i been here for goin on 7 years? how bout limiting by you can only get one of certain types per week or month. even if there has got to be a better way then tellin the vets to stay out. some of us play for content also no matter account age. other wise id be decked out in titan and bc relayers and such. just sayin +N there has to be a better way than by account age,
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

I think they key part of the quote is this

Quote " I've not decided how to do that <----
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

dreamstalker wrote:Quote " I've not decided how to do that, but I'm thinking probably I'll limit entry to a max account age for the first few months, and anyone older wanting to go in can talk to me about it."
so again along with mistvale im missin out cause i been here for goin on 7 years? how bout limiting by you can only get one of certain types per week or month. even if there has got to be a better way then tellin the vets to stay out. some of us play for content also no matter account age. other wise id be decked out in titan and bc relayers and such. just sayin +N there has to be a better way than by account age,
Mistvale was designed entirely for new players. Allowing vets in would simply ruin the experience for the players it was made for, they'd have no way to compete. Which was what was happening to them before Mistvale.

Elysium, however, isn't designed to be only for midrange players, it's designed to be for that difficulty level. The problem is that there are some older players here who treat the shard like a business/their second income/like they own the place. Those players actively try to lock down desirable spawns/items and control the market. I intend to block this practice as much as is possible throughout Elysium, but there's only so many ways to do that, and inevitably it'd still happen.

Further, the moment I open Elysium, it's going to be flooded. The players who are at the gear level for the facet are the ones whose feedback I will need the most in the first few months, and they're the ones most likely to be completely shut out of things by veterans for whom the content will pose little challenge. If you go back and re-read what I said- I said I may implement a max account age at first. It would be temporary, probably a couple months or so. I also said that veterans wanting access during that time would be able to talk to me about it - I don't mind some uber geared folks going in, but those who don't share well with the younger players don't need early access just to line their pockets or inflate their ego. Remember also that I will be allowing access to Elysium by tickets in groups of 10 at first, the quest to gain access to Elysium would otherwise be far too bogged down. This would simply be an extension of that process, allowing the players who earned a ticket from me, or who are at the gear level for the facet, first access.
Iltar
Elder Scribe

Post by Iltar »

I got 3 questions:
1) Will it be possible to recall out of Elysium and to mark rune there?
2) Will most of the artifacts be account bound?
3) Will bags of sending work?
Those who never die, do not live. (in Ultima Online)
Aryck
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Aryck »

Will there be anything targeted for vets?

Anyways for us to make some coin?

You say, some of us, only play for profit, but it takes profit to buy house slots and relayers. It is getting much harder and harder to get these things since there are less and less ways for vets to profit. Is the idea here to appease new players so they get slightly geared then have to pay to play?

Thanks for doing the Q and A :)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Iltar wrote:I got 3 questions:
1) Will it be possible to recall out of Elysium and to mark rune there?
2) Will most of the artifacts be account bound?
3) Will bags of sending work?
1 - You'll be able to recall out of most places but you won't be able to mark runes anywhere.
2 - I don't think that most of the artifacts will be account bound, though some will be. Some will be 'bind on equip', and some will be just regular no-bind. A lot of that will depend on +C and how he feels about the artifacts I design.
3. No. Bags of sending will not work for Elysium, however there will be a new style of BoS that players will be able to obtain, and it will work in Elysium only.

Aryck wrote:Will there be anything targeted for vets?

Anyways for us to make some coin?

You say, some of us, only play for profit, but it takes profit to buy house slots and relayers. It is getting much harder and harder to get these things since there are less and less ways for vets to profit. Is the idea here to appease new players so they get slightly geared then have to pay to play?

Thanks for doing the Q and A :)
No, there's not going to be any vet-specific content in Elysium. Why would there be? Vets are getting an entire facet of their own in Touria.

Monsters in Elysium will drop gold, though the numbers will not be very high - mobs that would normally drop a high amount of gold will instead drop gold and the Elysium currency, which will be harder to get. There may be a few mobs that will drop an impressive amount of gold, but in all likelihood these would be in areas that can't be farmed.

Your final question was relatively nonsensical to me - yes, it takes gold to buy things, but that doesn't mean that the majority of the players treat the shard like their second job/like they own the place. The attitude in vets that I am going to make effort to block from Elysium for the first few months after it opens is only found in a small portion of the players. I have no idea how you think that it's getting harder for vets to profit - once someone's gear is done or mostly done, they are able to farm faster and more efficiently, and any items they acquire are essentially profit if they opt to sell (since they don't need to be farming things for their own gear). We've not changed anything that makes any content currently in existence harder for vets to run, and the most popular methods of earning gold are almost completely run by vets. As for pay to play, again, this doesn't even make any sense, this shard isn't a pay to play shard, and it has nothing to do with facet discussion.
Sailor Jerry
Elder Scribe

Post by Sailor Jerry »

Nyx -

Has anyone told you that you ROCK, lately? If not, You rock!

I really like your plan, and approach with this zone, and this Q&A.

The intermediate player-class is a shard weakness IMHO and for anyone watching closely the area where we lose the most interest. Elysium IMHO is the answer and your approach is spot on! Bring back the adventure, exploration and fun. :D

Is there anything we can do to help? Many of us are already helping young players; answering questions before they turn into help requests. I for one have greatly cut back on my help requests - LOL 
Full throttle, half-bottle, fun lovin, script huggin gamer nerd...
a Napa Valley 1 Percenter
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Thanks :) I don't think there's much y'all can do - cutting back on help requests doesn't really affect Elysium progress since usually anybody can answer those. +C's motivation levels are probably the primary thing for now, and I'm not sure how anybody else can help him with that hehe
kamila
Novice Scribe

Post by kamila »

Hi Nyx, thank you for the opportunity. I got 01 question:

I) Luck

As example on the new BoS system that was commented above, I understood that this project will include a new facet and also some new types of systems.

Since Elysium is targeting mid lvl+ players on the shard, there is any plan to make Luck a feature that will affect some aspects in this new facet/system (I.E : Tokuno) to turn this property a more desirable quality for the players?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

kamila wrote:Hi Nyx, thank you for the opportunity. I got 01 question:

I) Luck

As example on the new BoS system that was commented above, I understood that this project will include a new facet and also some new types of systems.

Since Elysium is targeting mid lvl+ players on the shard, there is any plan to make Luck a feature that will affect some aspects in this new facet/system (I.E : Tokuno) to turn this property a more desirable quality for the players?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
That's a good question and one I forgot to include in my original post, thanks for reminding me. Yes, I do intend to make luck a factor for some things in Elysium. I'd ideally like to make all rare drops factor luck into their drop chances but I'm not 100% sure if +C can make it work the way I'd need (based on things we can edit in game, rather than only serverside). If so, I'll use it all over the facet. If that turns out not to be possible, then I'll likely factor luck into some of the more significant rare drops across the facet, as well as for biomaking and so on.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

+Nyx wrote: +C's motivation levels are probably the primary thing for now, and I'm not sure how anybody else can help him with that hehe

What does he drink and where do we send him a bottle? :lool:
Character name: Ebony
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Are you going to make Mistas a city with people in it, or something else?
Character name: Ebony