EUO Loops vs. resources

Discussion about the technical aspects of scripting. Ask about all issues involving your freelance projects here.
assterixxx
Journeyman Scribe

EUO Loops vs. resources

Post by assterixxx »

I have a couple of questions about EOU loops, that I couldn't find any answers for on the EUO forums.

If I have a simple loop that looks like this:

Code: Select all

loop:
         onhotkey F13
            goto KillClosestPlayersHorse
         sleep 10
goto loop
Not that serious, but you probably get where I'm going.

Now for the serious part. My logic says, that can't eat much more then a tidbit of resources. What if I have 10 scrips running with fairly simple loops? It must be adding up. So here's my questions:

Is that even relevant on modern machines?
What if the loops were longer? Would that have a bigger(relative) effect?

The reason I'm asking, is that I don't want to sacrifice my healing for some handy (junk) scripts, that I only use once in a while.

And on a completely different matter, are there any nice programs to write in(like Notepad++), that understands the syntax?
- Darain Farell
Commander of the undead army by night. Confined to a coffin by day.
Superduke
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: EUO Loops vs. resources

Post by Superduke »

Well, i highly doubt it will cause any problems. There's hundreds of scripts on your pc running simultaniously.
Just make sure the script is written properly.
assterixxx
Journeyman Scribe

Post by assterixxx »

I suspected an answer like that, and it does make sense. Thanks for your reply!

My only worry was that, although EOU is designed to run scripts(like my computers OS), UO isn't. Even though I don't "run" them all at the same time, they are still active, in that infinite loop(hotkeys / mob scanners / ...), just waiting for that one thing to change, so they can start. Quite often multiple scripts fire at the same time.

I have some scripts that have nothing to do with each other, but they all waits for a hotkey to start. Would it make sense to combine them into a single file, or are the resources I free up so miniscule that it's not even worth the hassle?
- Darain Farell
lestatzero
Legendary Scribe

Post by lestatzero »

The program does not take much ram at all to run... But running multiple differnet things in a single script will cause lots of hurt ... The way euo runs is it reads from line one down and then re reads it ... it scans the script... So for hot keys you have to hold the hot key down until the script scans it .... if you have everything in one script then your adding mutiple lines to scan through making your overall script slower each line you add... (again small amounts of time but each line takes time to read) ..

Running several scripts allows each one to run independ of each other so you can use multiple hotkeys if you wish ...

I run at least 7 scripts on average all the time. I stop those that i don't need to use when i am not hunting ... Running all 7 scripts easyuo takes up less than 10 mb of ram to operate. Also Running in multiple scrips you can reuse almost any Var you want as long as it is not a static var that saves to the registry (ie a var using something like ! ) ...

Just some food for thought ...

Lestat A. Zero
assterixxx
Journeyman Scribe

Post by assterixxx »

Now that was the reply I was hoping for! Thanks for enlightening me Lestat!

Since I "only" have 8-10 running scripts at most, I wont have to fear for my heal script.
- Darain Farell