Vendor buying restrictions

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

What should be done with the player-vendor restrictions

Poll ended at Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Keep restrictions as they are now
26%
Remove all restrictions
28%
Ban possible, but no ability to see who bought what
46%

Total votes: 54

+Colibri
Administrator

Vendor buying restrictions

Post by +Colibri »

(Option explanations are below. )

Just a quick poll to find the overall opinion of the players.

There's been lots of debate about the issue, where a player can ban others from their house, restricting them from buying anything from the vendors inside that house. Both sides of the argument are valid...
- Like the buyer can see the owner of the vendor, I think it's ok for the seller to see who bought things from their vendor. And if anyone doesn't want their vendor to be accessible to someone, they have every right to ban them from their house. It's a lot like advertising your wares on public chat and then 5 people send you a PM - you get to decide who you will sell to. And there can be a problem where a rival seller can buy out your entire vendor just as you log out, making your shop/vendor appear to be empty, discouraging other players to not even visit anymore.

- But if you put something on your vendor, at whatever price, basic logic dictates that you want to sell your item at that price. No matter who bought it - it's sold, and that is the desired outcome when you're selling something.

I think that both views are valid, though I am posting this poll to see whether things should be changed. So there are two options:

- Keep restrictions: Seller can see who bought items from their vendors, and seller can also ban that person from the house.

- Remove *ALL* restrictions: Seller cannot see who bought an item from their vendor. Furthermore, if a house has vendors inside, the ban system will not work. Having just one vendor in your house will mean that you cannot ban anyone.

- Keep the ability to ban, but remove ability to see who bought something - A lot like it was before (by default), except that the name-search remains.
I think both options are equally valid, so 51% in favor of any option will make it so. In the event of a tie (exact same number of votes for both options), I will keep it as it is.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
ModvsQvintvs
Apprentice Scribe

Re: Vendor buying restrictions

Post by ModvsQvintvs »

Hi everybody i think we should keep restrictions because gives you the choice and controle of whats going on with your vendor ;)
zeukaul
Journeyman Scribe

Post by zeukaul »

As long as I can see what was sold and for how much, I could honestly care less who buys it. Id like the option of seeing hat sold being kept.
Dander Sluth
Passer by

Post by Dander Sluth »

[quote="zeukaul"]As long as I can see what was sold and for how much, I could honestly care less who buys it. Id like the option of seeing hat sold being kept.[/quote]
agreed, this would make life easier!
Cornbread
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cornbread »

Cool to see when you sell something, but whatever. The previous way is the right way. If I put on my vendor for a price and I sell it at that price I could honestly not care less what you do with it. Same thing with Exex and same thing in real life. If I put something on Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon or anyother selling site as long as their money is good I don't care. I even owned a gas station for years and had competitors buying cigarettes and other items from me all the time. As long as we didn't violate the predetermined limits set by manufacturers everyone was happy at the end of the day.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

thanks for doing a poll
Asmodean
Legendary Scribe

Post by Asmodean »

Thank you for listening to feedback, and having this poll! It means a lot to some if not all of us.
Devlin
Legendary Scribe

Post by Devlin »

The 3rd choice seems to be winning. To my understanding it says that
1. The "see who bought the item" thing is removed
2. Banning someone from your home is possible, even if you run a vendor mall.

The first one is meh. Some like it, some don't. Who really cares?

I disagree with the second one however. If a player is running a mall with 30 vendors from different players, it seems uncouth that the mall owner can ban shoppers from the malls entirety. The decision should be with the owner of the vendors inside the mall. Aside from the fact that most bans/ignores are a result of one person finding another annoying/bothersome, it is also detrimental to the players that rent space in the mall. One persons squabble with another shouldn't hurt the potential income of the renters (even if they do have free rent).

-Keep the ban search system on the house sign. Its a cool concept; having to click people can be annoying.
-Remove the ban system should there be a player vendor rented in the house.
-Add the ban/search system to each individual vendor.

That is just my take on the system.
Asphyxium
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Asphyxium »

I think you should be able to see who bought what because A, of unscrupulous competitors and B, abuse of low-price limitations (1.4K kegs at Alchemy Jim's).

I think allowing blanket bans for entire houses and shopping malls is wrong. A per-vendor ban is appropriate, I think. It should also be a rule of the server that you can't ban someone from all your vendors because of a rule violation on one of them unless the rule/s that were broken apply to others, too and a second offense takes place.

EDIT 11:00 Oct. 15 2012:

I understand there's an opinion that if you put an item up for sale, you want it sold regardless as to who buys it. Yes, that's true.

Except for situations where people are only supposed to be a limited amount due to philanthropic pricing or a malicious competitor making you seem like you don't care about stocking.

It's NOT cool to allow such things and you SHOULD care about it.
Last edited by Asphyxium on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ironbender
Elder Scribe

Post by Ironbender »

Maybe I didnt understand completely, or maybe I've had one to many to drink before voting, but I voted #1 based on the perception that, that option had the most control possibilities.

Maybe my vote SHOULD have gone to a different choice, but here is how I see it.

1)I have vendors in someone else's house, so if they ban a person based on their own reasons, they have taken away a possible customer from me. Weather or not I'm paying 'rent' for the spot I have, I'm sure in some way or another my vendors bring in customers that might not otherwise visit that shop. So all in all we help each other. My Customers come to visit my vendors, but might also buy something from one of the other vendors in that same house. And vice, versa. So giving the power to BAN a potential customer to the house owner ONLY hurts all vendors/players within.

If it was possible to BAN a potential customer from shopping for a certain Vendor (But not the other vendors in the same house) would be great. But I have come to the point myself where I don't really care WHO buys my items, or what they do with them once they have. So I would not BAN a buyer just cause they bought me out of a certain item(s) for their own personal use, or even if they choose to buy them off me for my price, and try to resell it for more. [There was a point in which the resale buyer did bug me, but I don't care anymore.]

2) I did see some talk about knowing who bought what and for how much. This information I would LOVE to have either way. Often when I click on my vendor and see that he's holding XXXX amount of gold, I have to search through my bags to see what I'm missing to know what it was that sold, so I know what to restock. I would LOVE a report of what item(s) if any were sold, and to whom.

So Maybe I voted wrong, but these are the choices I would have made if it was broken down better to be more understandable to me. lol

Keep up the great work +Colbri, and thank you for taken the time to get input from the players that support this shard for input.
Dramoor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Dramoor »

[quote="Asphyxium"]I think you should be able to see who bought what because A, of unscrupulous competitors and B, abuse of low-price limitations (1.4K kegs at Alchemy Jim's).

I think allowing blanket bans for entire houses and shopping malls is wrong. A per-vendor ban is appropriate, I think. It should also be a rule of the server that you can't ban someone from all your vendors because of a rule violation on one of them unless the rule/s that were broken apply to others, too and a second offense takes place.[/quote]

I wonder what your real game account is other then this new made up one. :)
Namorah
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Namorah »

[quote="Asphyxium"]I think you should be able to see who bought what because A, of unscrupulous competitors and B, abuse of low-price limitations (1.4K kegs at Alchemy Jim's).

I think allowing blanket bans for entire houses and shopping malls is wrong. A per-vendor ban is appropriate, I think. It should also be a rule of the server that you can't ban someone from all your vendors because of a rule violation on one of them unless the rule/s that were broken apply to others, too and a second offense takes place.[/quote]

I think number 3 is the best choice.
You put an item, for sale, at a price.
IT.
SOLD.
It doesn't matter who bought it, you wanted to sell it, and what you wanted occured.
If you don't want people to buy your items at the prices you set, don't set those items out at those prices. Easy fix.
Asmodean
Legendary Scribe

Post by Asmodean »

[quote="Ironbender"]

1)I have vendors in someone else's house, so if they ban a person based on their own reasons, they have taken away a possible customer from me. Weather or not I'm paying 'rent' for the spot I have, I'm sure in some way or another my vendors bring in customers that might not otherwise visit that shop. So all in all we help each other. My Customers come to visit my vendors, but might also buy something from one of the other vendors in that same house. And vice, versa. So giving the power to BAN a potential customer to the house owner ONLY hurts all vendors/players within.[/quote]

Then set up a vendor in Town Center, or Makuto Zento instead of taking advantage of free vendors in someone else's vendor mall.

[quote]
2) I did see some talk about knowing who bought what and for how much. This information I would LOVE to have either way. Often when I click on my vendor and see that he's holding XXXX amount of gold, I have to search through my bags to see what I'm missing to know what it was that sold, so I know what to restock. I would LOVE a report of what item(s) if any were sold, and to whom.
[/quote]

This nearly removes the possibility for anyone to buy anything anonymously. It's still possible i guess, by switching toons, but a pain in the butt. Maybe if the ban thing weren't possible it would be alright. The main issue i have with it was if you put something on a vendor to be sold, and it gets sold, it doesn't matter if 1 person bought everything, or 15 people each bought 1 thing, there should be no discrimination (by way of banning that one person).

That would be perhaps another option, no bans but know who purchased what.

[quote]
I think number 3 is the best choice.
You put an item, for sale, at a price.
IT.
SOLD.
It doesn't matter who bought it, you wanted to sell it, and what you wanted occured.
If you don't want people to buy your items at the prices you set, don't set those items out at those prices. Easy fix.[/quote]

Free market at its finest :) I chose number 3 for this reason. I would also be happy if number 2 won this vote, because it too makes more sense than the first option.
Asphyxium
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Asphyxium »

I just want to elaborate: One person buying all your stuff is fine EXCEPT when you are trying to provide a philanthropic service for all or the buyer is engaging in anti-competitive behavior.

Then it's just selfish.

You want more customers, you engage in a price war and put a little effort into advertising and distributing runestones.

I wonder what Alchemy Jim thinks of all this.

Also, the free market mentality would allow a business owner to deny service to anyone. :P

"I wonder what your real game account is other then this new made up one. :)"

Are you threatening me over my fair perspective on the prevention of both malicious and selfish buying practices and malicious and/or wreckless bannings?
Ironbender
Elder Scribe

Post by Ironbender »

[quote="Asmodean"]
Then set up a vendor in Town Center, or Makuto Zento instead of taking advantage of free vendors in someone else's vendor mall.
[/quote]
The prices per week for vendors at those locations make it unrealistic to have a profitable vendor. All I was saying was that regardless of where your vendor is located, EACH and EVERY vendor owner should have the right to refuse service to ANY Player for ANY reason. Just as it is in most economic areas. I can't even begin to count the number of business I have encountered over the year that proudly post signs proclaiming. "We reserve the right to refuse service to any customer for any reason." Why is it unrealistic to as the same here?

[quote="Asmodean"]
This nearly removes the possibility for anyone to buy anything anonymously.[/quote]
Why would anyone feel the need to purchase something from a vendor anonymously?? Do they have something to Hide?? Heck the other day I was in a store and bought a toaster, and couldn't get out of the store without giving them my Zip Code and Mailing address. Buying things from a retail location (Which is what a player vendor truely is) anonymously has become a thing of the past. By knowing WHO is buying the items from your store you know who are repeat customers are.

[quote="Asmodean"]The main issue i have with it was if you put something on a vendor to be sold, and it gets sold, it doesn't matter if 1 person bought everything, or 15 people each bought 1 thing, there should be no discrimination (by way of banning that one person).[/quote]
I agree. As I stated, I don't care if WHO it is that's buying my items, OR for what reason. But having the OPTION to Refuse Service to someone for whatever reason SHOULD be an option.