New type of PvP on the shard

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

How do you like this idea?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:02 am

Good idea, it will be a great way for more excitement for some players
28%
I'm not into PvP but that's fine with me
11%
I don't have an opinion
3%
I don't much like the idea but I don't really care
6%
This is a bad idea
52%

Total votes: 87

+Colibri
Administrator

New type of PvP on the shard

Post by +Colibri »

As was suggested in the recent thread:
http://www.uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1255

Now, how exactly this would work.
1. If you want to have more PvP in your life, you would go to felucca to some special shrine, you would click a special object that would give you a gump with all the details and rules about PvP. If you would accept, you would become a red player.

2. One could not change his red/blue status for 48 or 72 hours. Meaning, you cant change it however you wish all the time, instead, once you choose your destiny you need to stick with it for a while. (or just log out and wait for it to expire).

3. A red player could attack and could be attacked by, only, another red player. Meaning that if you don't want to do anything with PvP, simply don't go to that shrine, and you're all set.

4. Red players could only travel to felucca and ilshenar - the tough, non housed facets.

I'm yet to determine whether looting should be allowed. I think it should be, since that makes some extra thrill :)

Of course, we would require good sportsmanship. If we found that this creates problems in our community, and that we can't fix those problems, as a last resort we would disable this feature.

(poll runs for 10 days)
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Montavion
Novice Scribe

Re: New type of PvP on the shard

Post by Montavion »

Well, I know I'm new around here, but the lack of pvp is one of the reasons I joined this shard. I think this is a great idea, for the current players of the shard. My fear is that venturing too close to normal pvp type shards will result in those types of players showing up here. I'm all for new players, but it's my point of view that alot of the shards that offer a constant pvp option end up having a fair share of whiney, inconsiderate players. This shard has a great player base. Everyone is kind, considerate, helpful...it's the players that make me want to stay. With this in mind, I have a suggestion. Why not make the pvp option only available to accounts that are over 60 or 90 days. I think we would still be attracting the right crowd, and maybe be able to avoid those players who just want to join a shard and "pwn some noobs", and then cry for days because they "got ganked" and it wasn't fair. Also, the last thing I want to see is global chat flooded with taunts and accusations.

Anyway, I think the idea is great, I just think it needs a little tweaking to prevent the shard from being changed completely.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Montavion, that's a great idea.

Well we wouldn't advertise ourselves as a PvP shard. But i know that PvP brings in a lot of great excitement, of course if those who don't want to do anything with it can be safe.

Yes there will definitely be an account age restriction. That way we don't don't have to fear new players that want to just come by and pwnz0r the place.

Oh and all the rules would still apply to all the red players. No cussing, no stealing. When becoming a red player, one simply accepts another risk of getting killed, other than by a monster in a dungeon.

There would also be an option that us staff can use to prevent someone from being a red player for a limited or unlimited amount of time. So if a player doesn't get the idea, we simply prevent him/her from being red.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
KnitePrince
Legendary Scribe

Post by KnitePrince »

Montavion wrote:Well, I know I'm new around here, but the lack of pvp is one of the reasons I joined this shard. I think this is a great idea, for the current players of the shard. My fear is that venturing too close to normal pvp type shards will result in those types of players showing up here. I'm all for new players, but it's my point of view that alot of the shards that offer a constant pvp option end up having a fair share of whiney, inconsiderate players. This shard has a great player base. Everyone is kind, considerate, helpful...it's the players that make me want to stay. With this in mind, I have a suggestion. Why not make the pvp option only available to accounts that are over 60 or 90 days. I think we would still be attracting the right crowd, and maybe be able to avoid those players who just want to join a shard and "pwn some noobs", and then cry for days because they "got ganked" and it wasn't fair. Also, the last thing I want to see is global chat flooded with taunts and accusations.

Anyway, I think the idea is great, I just think it needs a little tweaking to prevent the shard from being changed completely.
I just came here, and hope to stay for a while, and like Mont, I agree with his statements almost exactly. Couldnt have said it better myself.
Tribecca
Legendary Scribe

Post by Tribecca »

I love the idea! The mandatory acceptance gump would eliminate the Whiners previously spoken of and would give many people a chance to test it out. (me for one!) I hate loosing stuff but I love the idea of fighting other players as another choice of things to do!

Maybe even some kind of tally stone or flag on the character for total wins, etc.

ROCK ON!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

If anyone answered that it's a bad idea, i welcome your opinions why you think so. There are possibilities of things going south but if we predict what those could be, maybe it can all work out without any problem.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Dukalian
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Dukalian »

I believe some PVP would be great. And the system that is in mind seems pretty interesting.
zell
Apprentice Scribe

Post by zell »

Ok Me gonna said could be a good idea but it not in same time because you know and everyone Know PVP come with problem my opignon is put PVP in Event could be a better idea because it restrited there an Example i go Fellucia i put myself red for a day i want do it and others day i go playing was in a Champ or doing a monster and a guy come and kill me before i finish my monster and he loot it what my reaction you think i dont found that cool but i know im red i does the choice but could bring problem that why i think the better way for pvp was in Event , and others thing with level weapon it very easy to kill someone by one shot or two shot no Challenge there That why you must try Naked Battle at Shark tavern, and in Event you could limit strenght of wepon and armor like that more challenge and TActic and poeple.

me i think it a wrong idea but if you put it on gonna accept it but it true The time account is a good idea

that my opignon about that
+Osiris
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Osiris »

So you would like to see it in an event, That's another good idea.

Don't forget all PvP must be kept inside the PvP dungeon in britain, it is forbidden to PvP outside.

Well untill everything is settle here anyways :)
+Osiris : Game Master :
Keep up to date on shard rules. Click HERE
Efanchenko_MM
Legendary Scribe

Post by Efanchenko_MM »

I'm not impressed by the idea off pvp here on excelsior I love the feeling off walking anywhere and not seeing people battling away that for me creates a bad ora around i came to excelsior looking for the land off the fairys thats what we seem to have here im not sure how many use the pvp dungeon if it is used at all
but i just think things should be left as they are or if you really feel the need to add a bit more pvp which i think is not what we should do then go for what zell said about just throwing a few pvp events every now and then
im 100% against this idea
amadman
Elder Scribe

Post by amadman »

I think this is a bad idea for the same reason that was stated above. No pvp is what makes this shard unique and what drew me to it. I have many options to go too if I am looking for pvp game play. But this is one of the few places I can go to get away from it all.

The pvp crowd has a real nasty side to it and I believe the community would suffer from it no matter how it is done. I would rather keep it where there is nothing here for those rude obnoxious players.
Undertaker
Legendary Scribe

Post by Undertaker »

last check is 8 votes Yes and 8 votes No....

the Idea of pvp, even tho its a good system... i voted No... the chaos is already starting over the chat! an this is ONLY a poll, i just heard some people say "i wish i never have donated" becuz most of us came here cuz of the thought of pvp didnt exist, except in pvp dungeon... it just changes everything... sorry, but i dont wanna repeat everything i said on the last topic that started this idea... hehe, neptune had to calm the chat down thanks
Gordin
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Gordin »

Well guys, me and brother booth came to this shard excited about the idea of running around without worrying about getting attacked by another random player.
I think that this is the thing that makes the biggest difference about Excelsior. And I also think that, allowing some kind of PvP could be a halfway to later fully allowing PvPs (idea that i'm not a fan).
That's the reason that I vote for not allowing it.
It could be allowed in some events, or even in guild wars.
Anyway, that's only my opinion.
See ya guys!
KnitePrince
Legendary Scribe

Post by KnitePrince »

OK... here's the deal,
PVP, can be a good thing, if the right people are involved with it. It can be good for business as well.
Having said that, I will relate my own experiences. I ran a Sphere server for nearly two years, and then a RunUO Server for another two years. PVP was limited to Felucia only.
Within the first six months, everyone quit going to Fel entirely. The pvpers griped and complained constantly, and I invited them to leave. I tried many ways of dealing with the problem, allowing reds into Tram, and then had constant harassment problems with them trying to get others to pvp them. pvp, draws the kiddies. they invest time, and effort into their characters, and eventually find out, no one wants to fight them, and they get bored. bored people complain. I only had about sixty active players, seven of them were pvpers, and they owned Fel, because none of the rest of the players would go there.
This system of allowing people to choose, has advantages in that it would allow blues to still go to fel, but i do fear, that it will cause problems with attitudes, and problems for the staff dealing with the complaints.
I am new to this shard, and it has been several years since i played the game. As long as this system allows me to choose weather or not I pvp, and i can still roam freely, I would go along with it, up to the point the complaints started, and they will start, just because of the type of people it will draw. Those already here, seem to be good decent people, and I do not think the problem will start with them, it will start with the new pvpers. it WILL start. The staff also seem interested in their shard, and i like that. What remains to be seen is if they are willing to deal with the problems and swing the ban hammer when needed. I fear for the friendliness and comradeship i have found, and the reason i decided to stay here after my first day.
Thats my say for what it is worth. Then Noob Knite
Rune
Elder Scribe

Post by Rune »

voted no because i know and seen what pvpers also bring with em,lame in chat,smack talk,stalking and whatever other harrashment they can figure out to put on you....im not missing that tbh and it will come if we do this.
i dont mind pvp tho..just how the majority of pvpers act