New type of PvP on the shard

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

How do you like this idea?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:02 am

Good idea, it will be a great way for more excitement for some players
28%
I'm not into PvP but that's fine with me
11%
I don't have an opinion
3%
I don't much like the idea but I don't really care
6%
This is a bad idea
52%

Total votes: 87

Orbit Storm
Legendary Scribe

Re: New type of PvP on the shard

Post by Orbit Storm »

~Llexa -
Attitude is synonymous with "style" =)

Maybe, instead of spending so much time finding flaws with others, you could try taking a good hard look at yourself in the mirror. You label me as arrogant? I'm not the one preaching to a "newer" player, telling them they have no place in posting in certain threads, or that they're consistently wrong, no matter what is typed. Take it as you want, but I wouldn't be surprised if run-ins with you haven't driven others off. Your egomaniacal eccentricity regarding your longevity and supposed "wisdom" has bored me nearly to death.. >.<

Regardless of what fantasy world you live in, UO (and Excelsior), is merely a GAME. The sad truth of the matter is, that there are types, like you, who spend more time preaching your own thoughts and ideas about the shard, rather than welcoming new ideas, and new theories; those who enjoy making things personal because they feel they're always right. Sure, new members log on every day, but when they see peoples' posts get ridiculed for simply adding ideas/opinions, its certainly enough to drive them away. Heck, I saw the crap myself before coming here. But thought, why not.. lets give it a try, SURELY not everyone is like this. And thus far? I'm right.. there's just a select few who are set in their ways and can't handle change.. those that feel their ideas are the only ones that matter because they've been here longer.

The most ironic thing about all of this, is that outside of the few who try to.. discourage me on the forums.. I don't have any issues with others. I'm not the most "popular" player on the shard, but I'm well known. Both for my generosity to newer players (much like I received from more.. mature "elder" players), as well as my kindness.

Judgmental people with swelled heads, tend to not like me.. why? Because I'm unique and I don't follow your tightly knit, sadly woven little bandwagon.

I'm done here. I made my point, POSTS ago.. you're the only one who still has a problem here.. and is still TRYING to degrade me.

You want arrogance? Here.. how about me relishing in the fact that, despite me being the only one who stands against you, there are others who feel exactly the same way as I do. Most people won't defend themselves from someone who likes to bully others via their ego of "longevity".

So go ahead.. keep it coming. It won't bother me in the slightest at this point. Despite my strong urge to delete UO and be away from the likes of you, I'd rather stay, and not be "forced" out by presumptuous BS, and idle threats, and lyrics of melancholy. I have friends here, and I intend to keep it that way. I would rather be banned for defending my opinions ("a God given right"), than to sit around and be bullied by a nobody.
Licos
Elder Scribe

Post by Licos »

Alright, I offered an olive branch with multiple apologies. Now, time to point some things out. The following are all direct quotes:
_ _ _
Orbit Storm:
“Despite being "new" to Excelsior, I've spent enough time online to be able to say that I know the shard, and its players, quite well.”
“I've been on Excelsior roughly 6 weeks...”
_ _ _
Orbit Storm:
“And maybe it wasn't so much "ego", but there was certainly something raunchy in the air.. something that reeked of "my toon is older, thus I'm better than you".. it's a foul odor, and distasteful.”

Licos:
“I don't think it's anything personal, or at least not on my end. But, I personally find it...premature, how someone (who seems knowledgable and nice) just logs into this shard and from day one starts posting on so many commentary/suggestion/and discussion threads on how the shard should run, what should be added, and how things should be. I think I understand your methods for trying to get a name out for yourself, being the guildleader of and up and comming guild, but butting heads with staff and elder players on here isn't exactly an act of self preservation for a player who obviously shows ambition to become a valuable addition to the playerbase. Just something to think about...”
_ _ _
Orbit Storm:
"You label me as arrogant?"

"Judgmental people with swelled heads, tend to not like me.. why? Because I'm unique and I don't follow your tightly knit, sadly woven little bandwagon."
"I'm not the most "popular" player on the shard, but I'm well known. Both for my generosity to newer players (much like I received from more.. mature "elder" players), as well as my kindness."
“I can list a few shards I've administrated over the years, that have been quit popular.”
“Instead of telling me to "find a hobby" maybe you should thank me for being a rather outstanding member.. The hours I've put into this shard should be complimented, not criticized.”
_ _ _
Orbit Storm:
"I'm not the one preaching to a "newer" player, telling them they have no place in posting in certain threads"

Llexa:
"I never said you werent allowed to get into conversations. I said:
Me: "(Johnny) doesn't have the tenure to get into those conversations ---without coming across as something that, >>>most likely he isn't.<<<---"
_ _ _
Orbit Storm:
"And I honestly didn't take the time to read all 9 pages, as I've seen the same grumbling in another thread."

Orbit to Underetaker...
“Alright, not only was that completely childish, but probably the most pathetic statement in your entire reply. If you didn't bother to read my post, then what gives you the remote notion that you have the right to criticize or be judgmental about my opinions or views? You sir, need a stern education in common etiquette and maturity.

Licos:
“My pointing out that I posted earlier was simply a redirection to my previous post if he decided to read it. It's not like I started ridiculing him.”

Orbit Storm:
“Last thing... you made comments regarding your reply I spoke of. See, my real issue isn't the fact you replied, it's more that you replied then made statements in your most recent posts that I was in the wrong for posting here. Hypocritical.. period.”
“Licos, I wish this conversation hadn't happened. I don't have many regrets, and this won't be one of them, but I do wish you would have taken the time to truly read what I was saying, and not be so rash in your reply.”
_ _ _
Orbit Storm:
“My issue wasn't how the OP's friend was detained, it was that when I tried to offer suggestions, I was disrespected in a way, that was completely unprofessional and unbecoming of both players and staff.”

Orbit to Llexa…
"Take it as you want, but I wouldn't be surprised if run-ins with you haven't driven others off. Your egomaniacal eccentricity regarding your longevity and supposed "wisdom" has bored me nearly to death.. >.<"
"I would rather be banned for defending my opinions ("a God given right"), than to sit around and be bullied by a nobody."

(From “To curse or not to curse” thread, since you brought it up...)

Orbit Storm:
“Now I'm not sure what the real circumstances were...”
“How long will all this drama drag on, before staff finally puts their foot down and lays out a clearly defined, set of rules regarding language, rather than jailing people on the whim?”

Rayne:
“No one, other then the individual involved, has any right to know of the circumstances regarding the disciplinary action. All jailing incidents are private matters. Second hand hearsay is anything but factual, and arguments based on hearsay are a waste of intelligence.”

Veritas:
“Hopefully this eliminates some confusion. Frankly, I am a bit saddened that I needed to type this out. But, here it is, and there are examples of acceptable and unacceptable behavior. For some of you out there, you need to stop blaming the rules and regulations and start thinking before you act. People don’t need to be told every single situation that is right or wrong, they need to look at a general guideline and use common sense and reasoning skills.”

Rayne:
“You need to stop perpetuating this. You were not present, nor are you to be privy to the facts of the incident.”

Veritas:
“How would anyone but the staff and the individual player know anything about this issue at hand? From what a guild member posted? Chances are he didn’t know exactly what happened, it didn’t happen to him. So, looking at this chain of sources for the argument…what makes someone who’s only criteria for having a ticket to a discussion, a 2nd hand version of what “happened”, think they have the right to a discussion regarding something that is between staff and a single player? This has been explained may times before. We do not discuss the corrective actions between players and staff. They are private, they are private to protect the player who committed the offense. They are there, because otherwise we would release a statement to the whole shard explaining what happened to a player who violated a rule, upon request. Then, because of this mistake, he or she would probably have to deal with social alienation and a lack of business…depending on the nature of the offense. That is exactly why we do not discuss the nature of offenses.”

And in closing…

"Maybe, instead of spending so much time finding flaws with others, you could try taking a good hard look at yourself in the mirror."
"I only give respect, where its due."
”Longevity and ego doesn't make you any more valuable than me, we're all equal.”
“As far as offensive posting, well, if you can't take it, don't dish it out.. simple. =)”
Orbit Storm
Legendary Scribe

Post by Orbit Storm »

Okay.. we get it Licos.

You're right, I'm wrong. Everything I say is either erroneous or has no bearing.. my opinions are irrelevant, and my thoughts are inadequate. I'm a meager nobody, who doesn't have a place in Excelsior. I need to just go about my business and keep to myself, for I'm disliked by nearly everyone for my "arrogance". In fact, it might be best if I just delete my Excelsior client!

Better? You've won this little "battle".. I've surrendered, due to this becoming more redundant and pathetic than I'm willing to bear... now you, Llexa and whomever else, can go and brag to all of your friends here, that you've proven me wrong, and made an utter fool of, Orbit Storm.

I'm going to contact staff directly to request that this thread is locked, if they don't.. I'll simply delete my forum account.

So.. again, I beg of you, let this be the end of this whole debacle.. lest it continue to worsen, and I say some choice things that would garuntee a perma-ban for me..
Undertaker
Legendary Scribe

Post by Undertaker »

"go and brag to all of your friends here, that you've proven me wrong, and made an utter fool of, Orbit Storm." *you have not seen the last of me! (*) FLYS AWAY (*)*

*rolls eyes* ... *begins beating the dead horse*
Adin
Elder Scribe

Post by Adin »

On topic:

I wonder if it is possible to get a usage statistic on the pvp dungeon ?
Rune
Elder Scribe

Post by Rune »

"now you, Llexa and whomever else, can go and brag to all of your friends here, that you've proven me wrong, and made an utter fool of, Orbit Storm."
really no need for Llexa or anyone else to do that.....you did quite a good job at owning yourself.
Orbit Storm
Legendary Scribe

Post by Orbit Storm »

~Undertaker, Rune -

*Trolling*

-[[[Commonly, one expression of the definition of trolling, is veteran players presenting questions or topics that had been so overdone that only a new user would respond to them earnestly. For example, a veteran of the group might make a post on the common misconception that glass flows over time. Long-time readers would both recognize the poster's name and know that the topic had been done to death already, but new subscribers to the group would not realize, and would thus respond; at which point other players would begin to bash, or insult, the newer player.]]]

-Trolling is a game about identity deception, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns, [[[but proceeds to pass judgment upon the likes of other players.]]]

-A "Troll" is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, [[[with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion]]]. Trolling is a violation of the implicit rules of Internet social spaces and is often done to inflame or invite conflict. [[[It necessarily involves a value, or character, judgment made by one user about the value of another's contribution.]]]

- The archetypal example of trolling is the deliberately inflammatory edit or post — saying something controversial specifically to cause a flame war. Inflammatory edits usually come from users who have a minority or controversial opinion and who sincerely believe that this view is inadequately represented by the usergroup, and therefore will seek reasonable ways to properly represent their views; trolls, however, [[[will generally not seek consensus but will instead insist on a position without any regard for compromise.]]]

Oh, before anyone tries to single me out?

"Biased editing, [[[even if defended aggressively]]], is in itself not trolling." "Genuine dissent is not trolling."

"Don't feed the trolls!"

buh bye.. =)
Adin
Elder Scribe

Post by Adin »

Off topic -.- Please solve this privately.
Orbit Storm
Legendary Scribe

Post by Orbit Storm »

Aye.. the same could have been said regarding the original contentious replies directed at me.. I would have much rather gotten it via PM than drama over a thread.. =) But hey, I can't really PM them that, they might try to have me banned for harassment.. hehe

*ON Topic* -
It would be nice to see a usage statistic.. It would serve as supporting evidence to some of the varied views regarding PvP.. =)
Undertaker
Legendary Scribe

Post by Undertaker »

*clears thoat, begins to speak in a tone of a hurried Elder*
(no harm is ment in this post, but simply, enjoying my time, ty for understanding, think of this more of a story telling hehe)

You openly admit you "lost the battle"... In such of a openly widely spread out- Battle, is frankly another word for- Fighting... Which crosses pathes in the War of Wars in my last contexted post, I clearly stated that this was not a debate, Which you admitted to Licos, Bravo... And yet the Fuel can sitting in the corner of your room, full, you unintentionally, uninvertably, unconsciously intensifed this invigorated inflamed topic that just fuels the very likes of your insides that you must Must MUST invoke your insensible 2 senseless cents...

Son, let it me I, to tell you this openingly sad verse that i think the vets here have seen countless time... Are you ready? I SAID ARE YOU READY?! To embark on this Such of a journey you seemlessly call Home,,, Here 'tis is
*dark whisper'd voice*
(*)You are not the first to come into Excelsior, and Surely is not going to be of the last ones to tale it(*)

We, Excelsions, Deal with such deversity, people like yourself- WAKE UP When i SPEAK to you!- an endless sufficient coward... Yes, you know of what i speak, yet you seeklessly incontinously intensifies such fueled fire... Why? Simply because it endures the very likes of fire inside your endless insenseless Vortex you call of a heart... Ahh, so that is it! that is why!

Son *rests hand on shoulder* why didnt you speak of this befor? in a simple but yet incomplex post... We understand, *leans in and whispers* dddooo not underestimate the true power of the veterans... Rumor has it, they say their equal to us, but my intensions believe some of them are something more then just a veteran, a hidden power, like no other, just beware of which path you choose...in such endless endings... Continue to place your fiery context in a form of debate, not insensible personal attacks, tis no senseless dog eat dog but merely easy going... Now go my friend *gives you the hooded shroud of shadows*, the foot steps of something big is coming, go i say, GO!
Orbit Storm
Legendary Scribe

Post by Orbit Storm »

rofl..

Aside your mess of run ons and supposed "story telling".. I've managed to pick a few things out.

Obviously, you know nothing of sarcasm. My entire post regarding me admitting "defeat", was me simply conceding to you and whoever else wishes to keep this drama up. That post was me simply saying... let the dust settle, and leave things alone.

But sadly, albeit the fact you're an "elder" player, that mark of maturity apparently is beyond your reach.

But if you must.. so shall I:

You label my 2 cents "insensible and senseless"? Outside of your redundancy of the word, that's a pretty crude comment. You, sir, are a perfect example of the hypocritical, disrespectful, nobodies that I so dislike when it comes to any gaming community. You think your opinion, is the only thing that matters. Well, guess what? As far as I'm concerned, your opinion has become my new toiletry product.

Your right.. I'm not the first, and surely not the last. But, if people like you, continue to treat newer members like this, it will result in the ultimate downfall of Excelsior. Not today, nor tomorrow, but in good time. I seriously doubt, this kind of contentious, rudimentary behavior from you, is something staff tends to tolerate. I'm not perfect, but looking over my replies, I defended myself from both snide, and irresponsible remarks from multiple people. If staff sees fit to hand down a disciplinary action, then so be it, but I doubt I'd be the only one.

"endless sufficient coward"? Do you even HEAR yourself? You're trying way too hard to use words beyond your vocabulary, and insult me beyond your means. Just stop.

I'm not the only one here, who continues to "fuel the fire". After TWO requests, you STILL continue to talk smack, and need to just do us all a favor, and log out of the forum. Your hypocritical GARBAGE is useless here.

Lastly.. I TRIED to make my point in the form of debate, but when others come into this thread and flame me for my opinions, and for posting here when others have as well; its ridiculous. So don't try and accuse me with your falsified bull, and take it elsewhere. And I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate here, whether you are suggesting favoritism on the part of staff, or that you ARE staff, but either way, its just more garbage that you continue to spew. Hopefully, staff would not lower themselves to favoring older players over younger players, despite whose right or wrong. And if you ARE staff, and are threatening me, well.. that's an abuse of privelege, not right. Surely, you've read over RunUO's T&C.. they may not set the rules for servers, but they certainly set a standard, that can in turn be used to blacklist a server. That's not a threat on my part, but merely be informing you, you're crap could jeopardize a great server.

So for the final time, let this stop. If you post once more, regarding this situation in any fashion (and that goes for anyone else), I will report each and every one to staff, and won't let it rest until disciplinary measures are taken. I've already messaged Colibri asking to have this thread locked, hopefully he follows through.
Adin
Elder Scribe

Post by Adin »

Oh come on ... *sigh*
Undertaker
Legendary Scribe

Post by Undertaker »

lmao...

[quote="Undertaker"](no harm is ment in this post, but simply, enjoying my time, ty for understanding, think of this more of a story telling hehe)[/quote]

[quote="Orbit Storm"]drama[/quote]

Drama? DRMAMA!?!?!!? THAT is OUR Entertainment in Hollywood *StYlE* (*)zing(*) dude, you completely missed my point... and i think so did i, cuz if you read the first sentence that i quoated above... i do not mean any harm man. relax, and i did that post completely for my own entertainment... and it looks like you blew up at me? and now sounds like you hate me... i dont hate you at all, infact i like your posts, one of those entertainers... plus i was in a story mood and thought it would be funny to go from all the "drama"

*sigh* but if you feel the need to report everyone who posted in this topic... you got 10 pages, i suggest you get started lol ;)
Orbit Storm
Legendary Scribe

Post by Orbit Storm »

Coming into a thread, that you've already made controversial posts in, and making a mockery of another member, is beyond.. pathetic. That's not "entertainment".. maybe to a troller, but not to me. You can take it how you want, whether it be I "blew up" at you or whatnot. I don't "hate" you either, hating is lowly, and quite beneath me.

If you want to tell a story, something far from the drama, try making it involve something much less related to all of this. The apple didn't fall very far from the tree here.

And if you'd read what I type, not what you choose to THINK I typed, you'd see where I stated if people continue to aggravate the situation, I'll make it known to staff. If you want "maturity", then I can report certain people and have them held accountable for their actions on the forum. So far, since my post, you're the only one who keeps going on and on.. like a broken record.

Drop the subject, period. If you take as much pride in being a vet here as you claim you do, then try setting an example for the people on the server, especially the kids. You have kids? I can only imagine the kinds of examples you set, by not knowing how to let a subject dropped, when you're asked to. Good Lord man, act your age and not your shoe size.. LET.. IT.. GO..
Llexa
Legendary Scribe

Post by Llexa »

UT, don't respond to him anymore. He enjoys this because it gives him just one more thing to reply to, talking badly of Excelsior and it's members, while inflating himself.

On another note, I don't think this topic will be locked. Why? B/c Orbit Storm cried out to be able to speak his opinions, but now that his true colors have been shown through his own words, he no longer wants the same platform made available to be spoken from.

For anyone who reads this, I ask you to continue on the discussion of PvP if that is what you wish, however don't make any kind of reference to Orbit Storm. Psychology can diagnose him, and I'll leave that to private conversations. But I will tell you that these types of behavioral issues are ones that thrive on confrontation and on platforms to continue engaging and firing off. So the best thing everyone can do is to not respond to him at all, and continue on topic, or cease speaking on the topic.

I hope everyone will follow suite and trust that, things have been made crystal clear here. Licos ' post where he used Orbit's on words really capped this fracture off. It's perfectly clear and final at this point.

So I'll be first: Well this topic has been called dead for awhile now, and I do not see PvP being free-range at Excelsior. We have the PvP dungeon and some events that support monitored PvP, which is really good enough for our type of shard. Maybe talking about some more themed PvP events would be a good branch, or guilds who like to dual, talking about their events they have in the PvP dungeon.