Possible Backpack Graphic Change

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

Which would you prefer?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:16 pm

The white fur backpack
20%
The light tan backpack
61%
I like the idea of a new backpack graphic but I don't like these options
13%
Do nothing - Leave the original backpack graphic
6%

Total votes: 82

+Nyx
Administrator

Possible Backpack Graphic Change

Post by +Nyx »

While working on the upcoming patch, +R sent me some cool new backpack gump graphics, and we wanted to implement them as alternative options for everyone since we all feel that the original backpack gump is far too dark and makes it very hard to see many types of items inside it. However, when +C tried to make the client accept additional new gumps, it just didn't work properly. The gumps are basically hardcoded into the client and it wasn't something we could work around.

So, we are considering replacing the default backpack gump with something new - something that will make viewing items inside the pack much easier. You should be aware that doing this will mean that every backpack in the game will change to the new gump. This would not affect chests, baskets, pouches, bags, etc. Only backpacks. We're curious to see how the players feel about the idea and have selected 2 possible options to show you all.

Please keep in mind that we may or may not go with the popular vote, this is just information gathering for us, and the final decision will still be made collectively by the staff.

The options are:
Fur Backpack.png
Fur Backpack.png (42.67 KiB) Viewed 9979 times
Tan Backpack.png
Tan Backpack.png (48.68 KiB) Viewed 9984 times

If you select that you don't like these options, please post a reply and explain :)
Catti-brie
Journeyman Scribe

Re: Possible Backpack Graphic Change

Post by Catti-brie »

I like the tan color.

Question, if someone has uni-dyed their backpack, will that be reset to default on the paperdoll?
Aryck
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Aryck »

What if you just take the original pack and make it lighter? I like the pack style.

My worry about switching graphics is that we will have less room on screen in the pack.

Few ideas below.

[attachment=1]pack.png[/attachment]
[attachment=0]lighterpack.png[/attachment]
Attachments
lighterpack.png
lighterpack.png (61.44 KiB) Viewed 9806 times
pack.png
pack.png (52.78 KiB) Viewed 9808 times
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Aryck wrote:My worry about switching graphics is that we will have less room on screen in the pack.
They are the exact same size.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

Catti-brie wrote:I like the tan color.

Question, if someone has uni-dyed their backpack, will that be reset to default on the paperdoll?
The dye only affects the outside, which is not what we are considering changing. It would not affect that.

Aryck wrote:What if you just take the original pack and make it lighter? I like the pack style.

My worry about switching graphics is that we will have less room on screen in the pack.

Few ideas below.
The images are the same size, so you would not lose room with the new graphic.
kurganwins
Journeyman Scribe

Post by kurganwins »

I just wanted to point these out, u are probably already aware of them though, but some of the backpacks here are very cool.

http://uodesktop.com/celtic.htm

The pic is of the elven lite images, but there are many other options there

Thanks
Attachments
screen_elven_lite.jpg.pagespeed.ce.3_KjgAc6dn.jpg
screen_elven_lite.jpg.pagespeed.ce.3_KjgAc6dn.jpg (6.47 KiB) Viewed 9725 times
Sethra Lavode
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Sethra Lavode »

As much as I like the furry backpack, I think the tan one would be the better option for what you are talking about. And man...my eyes would so thank you! Q: if you cats do change the backpacks, those of us that have uni dyed ours - would that be void? Thanks for giving us some input!
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Yeah, the furry backpack gives better contrast from the items inside it, but it's a bit... faaaahbulous. I figured the tan would be the most well accepted hehe :)

As +r mentioned above, uni-dye only works on the "in-world" graphic, not the gump (so when you've dyed your pack, you see the color on your paperdoll, but the backpack gump itself doesn't change). This would only change that gump.
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Post by Miranda Ventrata »

As fabulous and contrastic as the Furry one is, i think things would get lost in it hehe. Too bad the fur wasnt just on the outer parts of the tan one :P
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Voted for no change...
Golden Temptress
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Golden Temptress »

I voted for the furry one :) it's sooooo fluffy and my imprisoned pets would be cozy in there, also if I get cold I can wear my bag on my head to keep out the freezies
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

I like the green color ones best. But the tan one would be my choice if that's not possible.
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

Personally i dont care for either but thanks to gaechie's (sp?) my backpacks are already green. Imo if the staff wants to give the population choices perhaps it would be easier to design several to choose from and post the gump.art and such on forums and let people down/patch over their client files. Not positive it would be easier but sounds like it would to me.
On final note if i had to choose i would vote for uo3d gumps for backpack. Color is easy on the eye's and they are "resizable"!!!!!!! I voted for 3rd option do not care for either..
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

dreamstalker wrote:Personally i dont care for either but thanks to gaechie's (sp?) my backpacks are already green. Imo if the staff wants to give the population choices perhaps it would be easier to design several to choose from and post the gump.art and such on forums and let people down/patch over their client files. Not positive it would be easier but sounds like it would to me.
On final note if i had to choose i would vote for uo3d gumps for backpack. Color is easy on the eye's and they are "resizable"!!!!!!! I voted for 3rd option do not care for either..
I actually did suggest that idea to +c but he preferred the idea of releasing only one gump.mul - so that I don't have to re-create numerous versions of the file every time we patch the client in the future. If we offered only, say, 4 options I wouldn't mind doing this, but it wasn't my call to make.

Also, uo3d gumps aren't possible for our client. If we could make resizable backpacks, then I would've been able to simply patch out dozens of different styles of backpack gumps and let everyone choose in-game via a deed. Sadly we are, as ever, quite limited by the version of runuo the server is on.
lestatzero
Legendary Scribe

Post by lestatzero »

I like the Fur One Actually.