Using website stones in game

Name says it all
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Using website stones in game

Post by Opopanax »

I'm not sure how this happened, but every time I try and visit a link through the game no browser launches. I've tried changing my default app in windows 10 back and forth between chrome and firefox, but I can't get it to work. The main reason for doing this is voting. Anyone got any suggestions on what I can do?

I did a search on the forum, but it seems that no-one has reported this issue before.
In game name: Abarai
Barrestock
Apprentice Scribe

Re: Using website stones in game

Post by Barrestock »

I personally think it is windows 10. Are you part of the windows insider program for win 10. I have the same problem but has only started happening after the last windows insider update.
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

Hmmm, I did the creators update, is that something different?
Barrestock
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Barrestock »

Yes if you go to Settings, Update and Security at the bottom of the list you will see the Insider Tab. Basically you get to try new features in Development I wish I hadn't signed up for it and even though it says you can stop I have never managed to do it.
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

Oh dear, I will check it when I'm at home tonight and will post here if I find a fix. If anyone else has suggestions about how to fix this or knows what might work, please do post!
Figger4
Expert Scribe

Post by Figger4 »

You can use your browser without getting on the game and goto uoex.net and access it from there. I have my default browser set to Opera but ingame it always opens Internet Explorer ( which i didnt know i had on windows 10)
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

I used to just access it through my browser and not use the voting stone, the main problem with this was that my voting level would drop even if I voted on all the sites. The only way I could get it to register everything properly was by using the stone in town centre, but it seems like that is bugged now on Windows 10.
Luna
Expert Scribe

Post by Luna »

The game exe uses ShellExecute() for invoking your browser which is a basic and extremely simple function. The shell examines the registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command and reads the (default) variable to invoke your browser.

You can run a command line shell (cmd.exe) and type the command manually (replace %1 with the URL you want to open), it might show you the problem in the standard output.
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

Ooh I see, thanks for your explanation! I'll see what happens when I try it tonight :)