Something to think about

Name says it all
Cygnus
Legendary Scribe

Something to think about

Post by Cygnus »

As many of you know, I recently celebrated my 10 year anniversary on this amazing shard. But, as I was looking at my account information tonight, I noticed that my play time was at 442 days. That doesn't sound like much until you consider that I log out every time when I am through playing for the day, so those 442 days and 13 hours are pretty much real play time. No bank sitting, etc. That means I have spent over one full year of my life doing nothing but playing Ultima Online here on Excelsior. A year of my life that could have been spent maybe inventing some world changing product; brokering world peace, upgrading my home, spending more quality time with family and friends, reading more books; writing a third book; binge watching several Netflix series; going to the gym; learn a new hobby, etc. The list could go on forever. But then, I would have never gotten the stress relief I so desperately needed or have gotten to know so many good people across the U.S. and all over the world if I decided never to login to this shard. A life experience that really cannot be measured. I have travelled to many countries and states and have met many people, but as I look back, it just wasn't as meaningful as some of the relationships and friendships I have garnered here. Excelsior is my social network. (I don't do Facebook and the like) Somebody from the outside might say that I have wasted a whole year of my life. Maybe I have. But, as of today...there are no regrets on my part. Thank you Excelsior Community for making one year of my life truly enjoyable.

By the way. For anyone who may be picturing me as some socially backward hermit who may be afraid of the sunlight, just a quick background. I retired from the USAF after 21 years and have worked as a Manager/Supervisor for over 15 years in the Automotive, Oil & Gas and Petroleum industry. I am currently retired again which gives me time to reminisce and wax poetic on subjects like this, though I plan to go back to work soon.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Re: Something to think about

Post by Yoda »

+1 one to this.. TL:DR I just skimmed and enjoy use of the expression "waxing poetic"

only messing around, agree totally with your sentiment felt the same lately but in reverse, came OUT of retirement properly and am properly busy, so busy that less time for waxing poetic, and just enough to read about it. Pheobe and I are both Managers at work, and the stress relief thing is real. High level people management especially for people like us (an introvert, and a high functioning autistic) is very stressful, me in particular over the years this game has definitely provided a lot of relief from having to be in people's face. (actually its usually the other way around) I think I have enjoyed the simplicity of a removal of non verbal cues from the social mixture, its far less confusing for me. It is also nice to have conversations without having to force eye contact.

I have always looked at ultima online as a sick sort of group therapy session. For some reason there is a safety and security afforded by this game, and it causes a sort of "ultima realness" hard to describe but we have all had excelsior moments like that, seen world chat moments that felt weirdly emotionally charged, had those moments playing. In a far more brutal and less poetic way than Cygnus put it, it provides alot of things, one of those things for good or bad is emotional outlet . Obviously there is much more "warm & nice" than messed up going on, otherwise.... (looks around the room tries not to address the awkward notion that we are all a little crazy)
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Athena Tenebris
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Athena Tenebris »

I just hit my 1 year mark today; not sure if I will see the 10 year mark like Cygnus; but pretty happy about 1.

This is a nice outlet and should be fun and drama free. Too much in the real world. UO or many games are nice to escape too from the headaches of reality.

Though real friendships and relationships can develop from these outlets we choose; it is nice to have this escape from the real world.

I enjoy it.

I just wish these outlets that people could leave the world-real drama out of it. I tend to ignore the people that bring those and avoid it as much as I can; because I like to relax and enjoy the people that want to enjoy this game and the friendly people that do inhabit it.

I do not actually talk much in the game; mainly with my guild family. I am introvert true and true; and that still carries into the game; even though it is definitely easier to chat there =)

Anyways; maybe I missed the point of the post; not sure; but the get away is a nice reflection for me.
Golden Temptress
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Golden Temptress »

Thats a nice post cygnus :) ... I've clocked up a total of 993 days but... although not much of a bank sitter I am guilty of being afk invisible in my abode so very likely most of that time I've been asleep lol, Excelsior is a great place to talk to people you would never meet in your normal circles of life and a great way to learn about others on this planet and have made some wonderful friends/contacts, thankyou excelsior :D
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

Yoda wrote:otherwise.... (looks around the room tries not to address the awkward notion that we are all a little crazy)
I think this is what makes this shard so much fun. There are "Warm and Fuzzyies" here but there are also definitely some "wierdos". I tend toward the latter and completely enjoy the time spent talking to friends and people I otherwise would not have met. Some of our conversations get off the rails or close to getting us all "Guardwhacked" but isn't that the point of life? To enjoy what you do with the people you do it with? Congrats to Cygnus for having the time and capacity to put that much enjoyment into his life. Who are we, or anyone for that matter, to decry what someone does with their time. For some, this may be the Family they never had, or the only outlet available for contact with others. Live Long Excelsior!!! Now about those Titans Hammers............