Carpenter BOD Quick Touchup

Name says it all
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Carpenter BOD Quick Touchup

Post by +Requiem »

Tailoring bods are nearly completed, so it's time to start thinking about the next system to update, which is going to be Carpentry.

We would like to hear your thoughts on how these bod rewards can be improved, or changed, or made better, or maybe something new you would like to see.

We are already aware some of the rewards give you "nothing", and that will get fixed with this update. We are also adding a new currency only obtainable by doing carpentry bods.
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Re: Carpenter BOD Quick Touchup

Post by Melkor »

Cyrddin re-did the carpentry BOD rewards in 2010 but they were never implemented. I'm not sure if he is still around or if +C still has his submissions. The link to his thread is below, unfortunately the pictures are dead now but I remember from the time that they were very nicely done.

http://www.uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2938
TDC Guild
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

What about an "Upgrade bag" for ALL bods?
[Glyph] wrote:There was a meeting in TC a few weeks ago and I mentioned having something like a powerscroll bag for small bods. Trade 10 or 15 or 20 small leathers (or carp, smith, fletching, taming) bods for that elusive one you have been looking for that everyone hoards. It also should be able to upgrade one resource level. This makes everyone who has collected bods a buyer and or seller and creates your market. I imagine the BAG being a low level reward or available for 5 to 10 ed or on the token stone. Could possibly be a function of the keys but would have to do something about taming. Could also be a new function of the bod books so no new items have to be created.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

Glyph, describe this "upgrade" bag. What does it do? how would it be used?
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

There are items not available in our server that could be inserted has rewards, examples are:

Bookcase with actual books in it
Garnish banner
chicken coop
soulforge
all in this link: http://www.uoguide.com/Carpentry
covered chairs
Those tables with the cloth like gravediggers

Larger BOD rewards could be house add-ons:

Carpentry tables -> http://www.uoguide.com/Woodworker%27s_Bench
formal dinning table -> http://www.uoguide.com/File:Formal_dining_table.jpg
World map table -> http://www.uoguide.com/File:Davies%27_Locker_south.png
display cases which players could place items -> http://www.uoguide.com/Display_Case

You will see that other items that here are very price are actually craftables :lool:

Ps: still insist in the optional rewards of just taking money instead of the item that rolled out
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

+R,, It would be basically the same as the powerscroll bag. If you put 10 of any 10 regular leather small bods in (random items) , you could get one specific 10 regular leather small bod out (this could be limited to 1x a day per bag, etc), same for 15, 20 qty bods. Or you could upgrade your 10 regular leather bods to one spined leather bod (random bod, you don't get to chose on the upgrade) You would only be able to upgrade one resource level. Same thing applies for smithing, carpentry, fletching and taming. Who really needs a 20 rabbit taming bod? :lool: I am not a coder so I don't know how difficult it would be to do this or if the ps bags could be reworked (maybe a lot of the work is already done). This is all based on the question "what would get more people trading the bods they have?", and the comments about filling hundreds of junk bods by a few people who do bods religiously.
seagrams
Adept Scribe

Post by seagrams »

Something that could increase storage in houses. May help with people who say they can't find room for larger houses.
Iago Venport
Elder Scribe

Post by Iago Venport »

+Requiem wrote:Bookcase with actual books in it
Garnish banner
chicken coop
soulforge
all in this link: http://www.uoguide.com/Carpentry
covered chairs
Those tables with the cloth like gravediggers

Larger BOD rewards could be house add-ons:

Carpentry tables -> http://www.uoguide.com/Woodworker%27s_Bench
formal dinning table -> http://www.uoguide.com/File:Formal_dining_table.jpg
World map table -> http://www.uoguide.com/File:Davies%27_Locker_south.png
display cases which players could place items -> http://www.uoguide.com/Display_Case

All of these are fantastic but please please please give us filled bookshelves and display cases...pretty please. :woot:

-Iago
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

Could we get Lord British's Throne? Either through Carp Bods or another way?

TDC Guild
Possum12
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Possum12 »

Would definitely like the reward value of the low type resource BoD's looked at. As I feel most of the crafts "low level" BoD's aren't really with the effort with regards to gathering resources & then time making verses the gold and item rewards. I realize that a new BoD can be gotten straight away on redeeming one - good chance of getting just another "trash" BoD.
The idea of getting "crafting currency" sounds a positive step.
Will it be gold & currency or the ability to trade in unwanted item rewards for the currency?
My idea for a way of making "lesser" BoD's more worthwhile is for the next BoD obtained after redeeming one is for a higher chance of a better one. Like a "+ to your roll", still not a guarantee of good one.
Tarkin Lamere in-game
Deadwerd
Elder Scribe

Post by Deadwerd »

Possum12 wrote:My idea for a way of making "lesser" BoD's more worthwhile is for the next BoD obtained after redeeming one is for a higher chance of a better one. Like a "+ to your roll", still not a guarantee of good one.
I think this is a GREAT idea.

I would also like to see a bookshelf with books, but unsure if it could ever happen due to the fact that there are/were bookshelves in the deco room that have books, but believe they took that section down, and if they did, that would ruin the price of these, as they wouldn't be, seem, or even LOOK special anymore. The people who spent millions upon millions of tokens to fill a room with bookshelves will have done this for no reason, and their (now) hundreds of ED's worth of bookshelf deco would drop in value, and it wouldn't be as special or unique.
'Deadwerd' in game, 'Deadwerd' onstage.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

Possum12 wrote:Would definitely like the reward value of the low type resource BoD's looked at. As I feel most of the crafts "low level" BoD's aren't really with the effort with regards to gathering resources & then time making verses the gold and item rewards. I realize that a new BoD can be gotten straight away on redeeming one - good chance of getting just another "trash" BoD.
The idea of getting "crafting currency" sounds a positive step.
Will it be gold & currency or the ability to trade in unwanted item rewards for the currency?
My idea for a way of making "lesser" BoD's more worthwhile is for the next BoD obtained after redeeming one is for a higher chance of a better one. Like a "+ to your roll", still not a guarantee of good one.
The "trash" bods have a place in the system so that you don't get a good reward every time you get a bod. That's one way it was designed to be balanced. (Well, at least the original system, of which carpentry wasn't part of, but was added by someone else later).

Someone else mentioned an "upgrade" bag, which I think is very similar to what you're suggesting. Just a way to trade in something you consider "junk", for something better. I'm not necessarily opposed to this, but have you tried selling the "junk" BODs? I see people looking for BODs for sale, and not being able to find them... Which is one thing I also hope to address.

I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but there would have to be a loss/cost involved. As you mentioned, since your timer gets reduced when you turn in a bod, that's the benefit of actually doing the bod instead of throwing it away. You might consider it a waste of resources, but it's better than waiting 2 hours for a new one.

The currency is it's own thing, restricted to each craft. There is Tailor's Florin, Carpenter's Florin, Blacksmith's Florin, Fletcher's Florin, and Tamer's Florin. (The name's might not be exact, going from memory). We did it this way so that you have to do blacksmith bods to get blacksmith's florin to buy stuff related to blacksmithing. You can't just do the one kind of BOD you really like, to buy everything.

We haven't decided if we will allow you to trade in unwanted items for Florin yet. It's something that may come, or may not.

Please keep the ideas coming. We haven't decided on a cutoff date, but it's approaching none-the-less.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

What if the bod after turning in any completed bod was simply guaranteed to not be plain log?
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

1. right now the two bugs on carpentry bod rewards are that "nails" don't exist and neither do the pine runic saws.
2. the low level carpentry deco rewards are impossible to even give away except for the unfinished gravestone which arnt worth a lot but good enough for low level reward.
3. I guess the runic saws can be considered worthless because there isn't any carpentry crafted gear/weps as good as smithy gear/weps but maybe that will change when new facets open.
4. carpentry and fletching skill gear share same reward slots as lumberjacking skill gear so that makes carpentry and fletching the hardest pieces to get that can be frustrating but it also keeps their value high so im good with that as is.

I don't really have a lot of complaints with carpentry bods unlike tailoring which were really a mess.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

Last couple days to get your suggestions in before this project starts!