sent to jail for defending myself (bad mods again)

Name says it all
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

sent to jail for defending myself (bad mods again)

Post by Andy Bear »

So i got sent to jail for defending myself against someone who said i was kill stealing. i always peruse blood dungeon and when i come across people struggling with monsters (especially paras) i always try to help out. so did the same thing as i always do and apparently in world chat i was on and off afk, and got sent to jail because of warnings i received in WORLD CHAT. No messages from cadre whatsoever personal or otherwise. So i get sent to jail for helping someone fight a para bally when i healed them and took agro while they were at 2% health. Guess cadre can post all the messages i sent them after i went to jail for it and defended myself in chat cause i dont have the full record of it. But still i think doing that to me when im just trying to be a decent player and would appreciate it from any other player is a little more than i deserve especially when i always heal people and discord their enemies when i see them fighting monsters in the place i farm just to be a fair person. If you disagree with my approach to being a good person please respond. Sorry +R and +c anyone who gets brought into this but i think my discretion should be just as a big a deal as yours... *waiting for the diplomatic but disreguarding response from cadre*
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

Re: sent to jail for defending myself (bad mods again)

Post by Andy Bear »

i could at least get the digital form of a cease and desist in the form of a private message that i can view when i come back and not just "i told you in world chat even though you cant always see it". maybe there should be an offering to only show world chat and guild chat in the journal to avoid situations like this. maybe its only for paid donaters to the shard and i need to spend more money to get it??
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Andy Bear »

oh and im so bad because i defended myself but Drip N Wet is the char name who won the lottery?? come on
TeslaElectra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by TeslaElectra »

This might be considered a "peep" after +Mocha said to stop, lol.
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Andy Bear »

sorry i was on and off again afk taking care of my grandmother i was trying to actively follow the conversation but i couldnt or it would have been totally different. hence why i wonder why i didnt get a pm
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Andy Bear »

but even if i was following the world chat does that mean every time im told to not say what i feel in world chat when its relevant that im supposed to shut up? im all for being a good player. i help out way more than a normal player would mostly. so thats why i get treated like a scammer or a kill stealer?? cause thats the reason +r gave me for my jail time
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Andy Bear »

+R said i was kill stealing whether i was trying to help someone or not... and thats why i was given jail time because it doesnt matter if im healing someone fighting a monster or dealing enough damage to a monster for someone to kill it then that is "KILL STEALING" and my intentions are inconsequential
TeslaElectra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by TeslaElectra »

Looked pretty active when the +'s warned you more than 3 times.

6.1. 02:54 Andy Bear: i admit that
6.1. 02:54 +Requiem: settle down and take it to PMs
6.1. 02:54 Naeblis: +1
6.1. 02:54 Kitana Jess: +R <3
6.1. 02:54 +Mocha: look, you made 2 GMs talk
6.1. 02:54 Animalicus: ffs let it go so i can talk to someone and see their response before it flies off my screen
6.1. 02:54 Rahr: weeeeeeee!
6.1. 02:54 +Mocha: next peep is jail time
6.1. 02:55 Starfire: can someone answer my question
6.1. 02:55 Yennet: Peep
6.1. 02:55 Jussomdood: *shuddups*
6.1. 02:55 Rahr: * stares hard *
6.1. 02:55 Cornbread: whoa, that's quite the talent to talk to two GM's at once outside of an auction
6.1. 02:55 Andy Bear: ok guess that means something for someone who hasnt been here for just a few months
6.1. 02:55 +Requiem: did you not hear me?
Deadwerd
Elder Scribe

Post by Deadwerd »

The definition of 'Kill Stealing' here is attacking a monster that someone else has engaged without their permission. If the person dies, they have roughly 2 minutes to come back to the creature. (Enough time to rez, equip gear, get corpse, heal, and re-engage enemy) You can ask to assist with the kill, but if the player does not respond, or does not give you verbal permission to help, then it could be considered kill stealing.

I see your point of view, as I am the type of person to always try to help players that are struggling in battle, as well. But I always make sure I get permission, because if I am in the middle of a hard battle, and a player randomly comes to help, and they have auto-loot on, they can steal my gold, and be gone before I can say anything to them. And if they already have gold in their bag, even if I PM them, they wouldn't know the correct amount of gold to give back to me from the kill.

In the end, it's best to get permission. If the player doesn't respond, or refuses the help, then let them fight their own battles. Whether they are struggling or not, some people prefer to test and push themselves. And regardless, if it's too difficult of an enemy, they will learn that once they die a few times and give up, or eventually ask for your help. In this case, you were not given permission from what you've posted, and if the player complained about it, then that IS grounds to be jailed. Whether you had good intentions or not, the staff had to do their job.
'Deadwerd' in game, 'Deadwerd' onstage.
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Andy Bear »

Let me say I apologize for this post before i say that i agreed to take it down. Mainly because there are fundamental reasons that i am wrong, and fundamental reasons that i am right. I now understand that me saving people just by running up and seeing them in distress is not a good reason to interfere and take the glory (or riches). I will endeavor to be more despondent from now on and allow my fellow player/characters to enact the same actions that i myself am playing the game for. I hope this post stays online and marked so that everyone else understands that we all deserve the right to our own fantasies without interference from anyone. you can know i mean this by my tag of: Big Love, Bad Andy, Love you guys :)
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

Couple things. I jailed you for ignoring Mocha and I telling you to drop the subject in world chat, and you continuing on as if you hadn't heard us. I did not jail you for kill stealing, although I probably could have, given the evidence.

If you attack a monster another person is attacking, without their express permission it's kill stealing, regardless of your intentions. If you prefer helping people, I suggest partying up with them, and sharing monsters that way.

I'm locking this thread.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

Andy Bear wrote:but even if i was following the world chat does that mean every time im told to not say what i feel in world chat when its relevant that im supposed to shut up? im all for being a good player. i help out way more than a normal player would mostly. so thats why i get treated like a scammer or a kill stealer?? cause thats the reason +r gave me for my jail time
From the codex: b. What staff members say is to be taken seriously and without question.

When you're asked to do (or not do) something, we expect you to do (or stop doing) that thing. If you have an issue with that, there are ways to get your point across, such as a constructive forum post, a help request (ask for a peer or higher ranked staff person to review the issue), or an email directly to colibri as an absolutely last resort.