Input for upcoming Player Ran PvP Event

Name says it all
Sapper
Novice Scribe

Input for upcoming Player Ran PvP Event

Post by Sapper »

So for this PvP tournament I will be providing all the items worn. No relayers allowed. There is a bunch of other rules I have but I need input on weapons people who would like to attend would like to have available to use at this event. Here is a list of approved weapons.

War Fork, Lajatang, Sai, Tekagi, War Cleaver, Diamond Mace, Mace, Maul, War Axe, Wild Staff, Gnarled Staff, Quarter Staff, Shepherds Crook, Broadsword, Elven Machete, Katana, Long Sword, Pick Axe, Battle Axe, Daisho, Hatchet, Ornate Axe, Rune Blade

So basically no ranged weps, no weps with paralyze, mortal, poison, shadow strike, whirlwind, nerve strike, and some others I am missing.

I am asking for anyone interested in this event to give me a list of their top 3 weapons on this post. If I missed a weapon please let me know and I will add it to the list. Thanks to all that help.

Ill go ahead and list the rules
1. No Ranged weapons this includes thrown weapons and explosion potions
2. No druid spells
3. No Poison weps, Paralyze weps (this includes nerve strike), Shadow Strike Weps, Mortal Blow Weps
4. You will wear the gear I provide. Basically a suit consisting of 70s Resist, 100% LRC, and 4/6 casting****
5. No enhanced bandages
6. No mounts
7. Absolutely no Relayers, Totems, or anything that goes onto your character that is not provided for the event.
8. Anyone caught breaking these rules will be instantly disqualified.
9. More to come as I think of them.

**** I say 4/6 casting but to make fair balanced weapons with spell channel its very difficult to make them without negative casting. Unless I can find a way other than making plain iron weapons and buying a plethora of SC deeds it may end up being 3/6 casting. With Ornament of the magician and FC 1 on both ring and earrings I do not see a way to overcome this. If anyone has a suggestion I havent thought of please let me know. Depending on how many weapons people choose I may level deed some to remove the neg casting but that depends on how many weapons chosen.

Shaden
Deadwerd
Elder Scribe

Re: Input for upcoming Player Ran PvP Event

Post by Deadwerd »

Katana, Ornate Axe, and Elven Machete are my favorites, in that order. Seems interesting, but how would we deal with the str/dex/int boosts some people have due to max and single stat scrolls?
'Deadwerd' in game, 'Deadwerd' onstage.
Sapper
Novice Scribe

Post by Sapper »

Unfortunately that is not something I can control. I would love to be able to make it as balanced as possible but I am just a player. I asked to purchase temporary items like what we use in Onslaught about a month ago for the event and was shot down. Do you have any suggestions that would help me make it more balanced? I mean even the skills at 130 will unbalance it for some.
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Post by Miranda Ventrata »

It's a bit of work. But get a list of folks that are going to do the event ahead of time, like say maybe a week. Then, give each contestant a randomly generated name. They create a char with that name, (so you know its new) and have a week to train. Each event, do this, so if they choose to spend money on the character, sure they can, but its gonna get expensive to do it everytime.
Sapper
Novice Scribe

Post by Sapper »

Thats a good idea Miranda and I do appreciate the input but I have a feeling that would drastically drop the numbers of those attending
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

I would say this is an idea best left to be ran by staff, what you are asking for and I know you mean well, is a drama storm of epic proportions, good luck with it, but I fear this is quite a challenge. Uo pvp is not balanced in the slightest on the best of days, on any shard. Trying to enforce a long laundry list of rules using the honor system in order to sorta cause balance is really really delicate to do too.

Thing is though, half the stuff you disallowed for rules isn't fairness as much as you'd like everyone to hand to hand melee, which btw uo's absolute worst mechanic. The fact that almost all the weapon specials are disabled speaks volumes too.

So for the interest of your fun here, this is not a 2nd age server, and the days of open pvp are over, an event is fine and dandy but in this case it appears you want an oldschool AOS pvp system, which we don't have here. (hence the list of not allowed things).

But I could be totally wrong and it would work lovely.. is there a prize?
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Sapper
Novice Scribe

Post by Sapper »

I completely understand where you are coming from. A vast majority of the weapons that are not allowed simply because the specials of said weapon would not be useful. Like whirlwind, dismount, etc.

Just so you know I encourage all spell usage excluding Druid. Druid is excluded because not everyone has it.

Unless I am mistaken Ranged weapons, thrown weapons, Infectious, Paralyze/Nerve Strike, Shadow Strike, and Mortal Blow is hardly "most" of the weapons. If someone wants to use a weapon with dismount or WW then by all means tell me. Just didn't seem as fair to them seeing as they would only be actually benefiting from one of the abilities. Also I cut the list down because making the weapons has been a chore in itself. I have to make two of each weapon requested, and make them SC with no Neg FC.

The reason I decided against mortal/para was because without insta heal and the lack of enhanced apples on this server makes mortal spam a guarantee win. Para on the other hand is because trapped pouches will not break weapon para here.

Poisoning was excluded because if player A has 120 poisoning and player B has 0 then that is not very fair. I am about 95% sure this event will be a disaster, but you never know until you try. Yes there is a long list of things that aren't allowed but it is only in attempt to help players that haven't been here for 7 years with 120 everything (130 combat skills) to have a chance.

I am greatly appreciative of the time you have taken to respond to this post and hope more people give me some input. I am open to anything that helps make it fair.

Yes there will be prizes. First through third place will receive ED and a custom item I will have made for the event. If there are enough people I will extend that to First through fifth and so on.

To address your statement about leaving it to staff. I am sorry but I strongly disagree with that. I like to PvP. I participated in the Onslaught event the other night to find out how truly unbalanced it was. 1/1 Casting forced Magery to be a last ditch effort. People standing in the bases with bows spamming para/mortal. Then there is the OP Curse/Crushing blow one hit kill from the War Hammer. Don't get me wrong here. It was a good time. Tons of fun and such but there could be many things done to easily fix how completely broken the PvP was there. Not that it really matters I am on a non PvP server complaining about broken PvP >.<

Anyways, whether my event fails miserably or not I will enjoy it, learn from it, improve it, and continue to try. I may never get it right but I wont stop. Even if I have to go craft 50 Iron weapons and level them for SC and FC.