OverCensureship said shiz in a causal manner

Name says it all
+Colibri
Administrator

Re: OverCensureship said shiz in a causal manner

Post by +Colibri »

Was going to reply to this thread but it kinda got buried so didn't want to be the one to revive it.

Just want to make 3 comments regarding this thread:

- The OP has the right for this penalty to remain private/confidential, but announcing it to everyone means we can also reveal that less than a month prior to this incident, he already broke the language rules and received a mild penalty for it. So this was not something he had completely no knowledge about.

- Sure, "shiz" isn't that big of a deal, but if we allow slang & abbreviations to be used, then we will see a lot of foul language in disguise, which I believe would lead to a gradual deterioration of the level of conversation. I personally thing we could soften up a bit, for example the word "crap"... but then, if someone says it just occasionally to emphasize something big, or is it just thrown around casually all the time, just because "it's allowed". It's probably impossible to set rules about what "level" of civility the conversation should be at. But we can say which words are not allowed, and that's almost as good.

- GM deciding on a penalty vs judicial system IRL: yeah, here you take a few minutes to decide what penalty to give, the penalty is completely separate from your real life. On the other hand, if you kill someone, and the judicial system has to give you a life-altering sentence, then they sure (i hope they do) take the time to make sure they have the right person and that the penalty is just.
An easier example why we cannot prove intent, over the years we got a lot of "but i didn't mean this to be taken that way". Someone exploits, gets jailed and then says "but i was going to report" it. Maybe he/she did... that is the intent we cannot prove. But that player didn't send any page, and kept using the exploit for days. Maybe the intent was to thoroughly test that it really is a bug, not to waste our time with a false report? :p But the fact is, the bug was exploited, profits were made, it's something we can see in the logs and don't really have to guess what the intent might be.
Technically speaking, we could just ban you - whatever, it doesn't really affect your life. There's dozens of other shards, and thousands of other multiplayer games, or you can even switch off the computer. However, when it come to a serious offense and we consider a permanent ban, we do take the time to assess the situation, discuss it... in a way, we kinda make a big deal out of it :) (unless if it's some newbie who just came on to wreak havoc).

At the risk of being a totalitarian, I'm locking this thread.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)