OverCensureship said shiz in a causal manner

Name says it all
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

OverCensureship said shiz in a causal manner

Post by Andy Bear »

I mean come on seriously?? Why are harmless coloquialisms so frowned upon that i get 3 days chat ban for saying "yeah miranda celbrate that shiz!" i mean seriously the word "crap" is even banned from being used?? This is a serious problem for the whole shard and i know im not the only one who aggrees i wasnt being overly vulgar or even hateful in my comment i think the mods need to rethink they're overly zealous language policy....
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

Re: OverCensureship said shiz in a causal manner

Post by Andy Bear »

There can be a lot said about this subject but i believe malicious intent is the reason for the rule, please correct me if im wrong (im sure i will get extreme versions of when this would apply) but i believe the rule is there to protect the players who dont want to be treated badly am i wrong??
Last edited by Andy Bear on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Andy Bear »

Oh and now i get a message i shouldnt have made a forum post about this being it "wasnt very smart"? i mean come on what did i do that was so wrong? did i offend someone? please let me know if i did and i will apologize and try to make up for it.. thanks requiem sorry for making you so mad
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

Like I mentioned to you, if you got in trouble for using a word, it's not very smart to then go and make a forum post pointing it out using the same word you already got in trouble for.

"a. Keep chat clean - no cussing, arguing, harrasing, adult material/situations, etc."

This means NO cussing. No using abbreviations, omissions, or substitutions to get around the chat filter. As I also mentioned to you in pm, if you want to use that foul language, and slurs, feel free in PMs, or in guild chat, if the other people are fine with you using it. Just not in world chat. (Or local chat in public places).
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Andy Bear »

ok sorry for m using a term that in modern usage is held in a non-offensive and comically supportive aspect. especialy since its purposely worded to be non-offensive to anyone who may see it since it is self-censored and made innoccuos just by its very spelling and meaning
Andy Bear
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Andy Bear »

i would post my own conversations with cadre on this manner (typos though abundant they might be) but since im chat banned i have no access. So, sorry for anyone i may have offended if im banned from the server I'm sure it wont be a much of a loss.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

You're not banned from the server. You're chat banned. You can talk in local, just not in world chat, guild chat, or pm's.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

3 days is a reasonable amount of chat ban for the 2nd offense of the exact same kind, particularly since the previous offense was barely a month ago.

The chat rules are not "a serious problem" for the whole shard. Granted, there are several impudent folks who have disdain for those rules, but they have no trouble abiding by them either. The chat rules are easy to follow, and you were informed of them (and accepted them) via gump when you joined the shard. You were then reminded of them after receiving your previous chat ban last month. That doesn't mean everyone likes them or would do the same with their own shard. But it is +C's shard and these are the rules he has set, obeying them is easy.

"crap", "damn", "hell" and a couple others are words that I've suggested we remove from the filter and allow. As it is, I do not cite folks for saying them and for the most part nobody else does either. Since the chat rules are not a large, pressing issue, it's been something that has gotten shelved several times in recent memory in favor of spending time on more important shard matters. Perhaps someday these words will be removed from the filter, but for now it is what it is, and the word you used was a few steps above these "PG" level words.

+R's ruling was exactly what I would've given you myself had I been on and seen it, given your previous violation. He was also correct that it isn't helpful or smart to then rage about it on the forums and use the same word again. The forums are a pubic aspect of our shard and subject to the same chat rules.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Also wanted to add a reminder that the rules are enforced based on what a player has done, what actions have been taken by that account. Intention has no place in enforcing the rules. It cannot be proven, and every single person who has ever been cited for any rule violation ever says that they didn't "intend" to do anything bad or do anything malicious. It's an endless waste of time to try and delve into people's motivations for doing what they do. Instead, we simply act based on the player's history on the shard and what they've done. Players who have been here a long time and who the staff are aware are nice, rule-abiding folks may get a slight reduction in some cases of rule violations, and in some cases we have given a benefit of the doubt to some newer players for small oopsies. Players with a history of being a problem in any way get less leeway. But it is still based entirely on the actions of the player in game, not their intent, and in your case it was a 2nd violation in the span of a month.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

re language.

While if I remember rightly World Chat is officially PG, given that different cultures use different cuss words, what is fine for you might be a no no for the shard.

Best advice, keep it G rated. If Bambi wouldn't say it, best you don't :)
Character name: Ebony
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

+Nyx wrote:Intention has no place in enforcing the rules. It cannot be proven.
Can't be proven? That will come as a shock to every criminal lawyer who practices in the Unites States since proving intent (known as mens rea) is a mandatory component of nearly every criminal conviction. Intent holds a central place in enforcing the rules known as "law."

Regards,
Wil
lilbear68
Master Scribe

Post by lilbear68 »

WOOT and a BIG FTW wil tyvm
but then we are not in the US so.............. :cry:
that will be the standard fallback position
si vis pacem parabellum
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Wil wrote:
+Nyx wrote:Intention has no place in enforcing the rules. It cannot be proven.
Can't be proven? That will come as a shock to every criminal lawyer who practices in the Unites States since proving intent (known as mens rea) is a mandatory component of nearly every criminal conviction. Intent holds a central place in enforcing the rules known as "law."

Regards,
Wil
I would have assumed you were intelligent enough to know the difference between an involved, lengthy public criminal trial and an internet video game where everyone is essentially anonymous, where there are logs to show without a shadow of a doubt every action taken and word spoken by a specific account, and where nobody has months or years to spend dealing with any given rule violation issue. I guess either my assumption was incorrect or you just can't stop yourself from trying to stir the pot at every available opportunity just for the sake of doing it.
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

The reality...

1. This is not a democracy
2. The shard is private property
3. Country of origin is irrelevant
4. We need a list of bad words in languages they wouldn't know
Isaac Newton
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Isaac Newton »

Tufi wrote:The reality...
4. We need a list of bad words in languages they wouldn't know
Excellent idea! Now you can get chat banned for not using English.
Isaac Newton

What sad times are these when passing ruffians can say ‘Ni’ at will to old ladies.