Attention coders!

Name says it all
Tufi
Master Scribe

Attention coders!

Post by Tufi »

Please take into consideration as you do awesome changes, that players also like to retain some control over what they do. If options aren't available being locked into a new process you created, their personal game here that they love can be miserably altered.

So please, keep this in mind as some of your awesome plans could backfire.
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Attention coders!

Post by +Nyx »

I agree that the gameplay satisfaction/enjoyment aspect of new additions is just as important, moreso even, than the code itself. I also agree that some of the things getting changed lately haven't taken that into consideration enough, it's something that I and several of the other staff have been discussing with +C a lot in the past weeks and I think he understands. I also believe that the speed with which things have been getting rolled out has been very hard for the playerbase to adjust to. As soon as one thing is out, you guys haven't even had a chance to get used to it before suddenly something else is now completely different. It's an old game, and most of us play here for the nostalgia, and changing too much too fast, especially without enough attention to how it "feels" to play this new stuff is boggy ground.

I am hoping that with our planned weekly status meetings for facet coding, I'll be able to help ensure that there is more balance between the gameplay enjoyment aspect and the "numbers & code" aspect. We also have some plans in place to improve overall brainstorming and communication between the coders and the rest of the staff, which I think should hopefully help a lot as more of the new things get rolled out. Hang in there :)
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

Right On!!! I know this wonderful staff is totally capable of acting on what you stated here. I am grateful my unique style of playing (retired battlemage) will endure. I used to wear plate and now I am reluctant to fight in my old age. So my low-key game can still be enjoyable. Please keep it that way! I am HERE. And will be I hope
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Noted, thank you Tufi for writing it so nicely and directly.

I agree that input needs to be considered, since it's you players who actually play and actually we're doing this because of you (wouldn't be much fun to code for 0 players to then use that content).
Something to also keep in mind, is that whenever anything is changed or added, a few people wont like it. Also, if an idea is discussed beforehand, it might get mangled and "upgraded" to the point where I just wouldn't want to do it because it's so remote to the initial idea, and perhaps with so many added and complicated things it's actually twice or three times as much work to do. The old saying goes, "too many cooks spoil the broth".

About Elysium, it is a big batch of content, and that's why we'll have weekly meetings and also at first input from a few players, and later a closed beta with dozens of players, so we can make it as fun as possible. A reminder though, I remember a player back when the facets were first announced, he was against it before any coding even started, before he even knew what all it would be about, and he was against it. Because it would change the shard. The shard has changed a lot over the last 11 years.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

Yes Colibri!

More than one issue here. I think when creating new facets players excited and open to totally new things and ways, BUT will want to be able to go back to what they know and are comfortable with.

You all there het it. Not worried
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

Coders please do not change the mechanics of my banksittin play style! :mrgreen:

Personally I have liked the changes to the mechanics side of things I gmed cooking which is a skill I wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole before because of the insanity of cooking one piece at a time with the old system. Does it need some adjustments, sure all new systems will. I have only been here for over a year but have read through all the change logs ect. from the beginning and can say it is clear this staff works very hard at working to keep everything in tip top shape and makes the changes and adjustments that need to be made and it is why this shard is as good as it is. I myself am hoping for some new items to craft with these big mechanical changes. Keep up the good work :)