Dear +Colibri,

Name says it all
+Nyx
Administrator

Dear +Colibri,

Post by +Nyx »

A long time ago, I was feeling a little nostalgic and very bored, and I decided to try to find somewhere to play UO again. I spent a few days hunting around the web, looking at various shards and reading their websites and I just hadn't really found anything that jumped out at me. So many of them were PVP based or seemed to be run by 12 year olds, and I was really discouraged. Then I happened to click on the uoex site, and I was so excited! I spent the evening reading the codex and the wiki, browsing through the forums and the portal and I was thrilled. I joined the shard the next day, and unknowingly started down a path that I've never regretted.

After I'd been here awhile, I started to get a little bored, because I'd already spent so many years doing the traditional UO stuff. I loved the game, though, and didn't want to be without UO again. I figured I may as well try to apply for staff, it would be a chance to view the game from an entirely new angle and open up a lot of different gameplay options. I sent in my application and spoke to the existing staffers as much as possible to get to know them a bit, getting really hopeful as the weeks went on. It was a little while before you were ready to hire another staffer, and I remember being super nervous the first time you interviewed me. But I thought you were funny, and a bit silly, and I really liked that. It was very encouraging to me, I like to work with people I can laugh with.

A bit more time passed, you interviewed me a couple more times, and then one day it happened - I was hired! Then followed months of training, which then turned into years of ups and downs, ins and outs, fun and frustration. It's been just over 6 years now, and I can honestly say I still genuinely love UO, and especially love UOEX.

So many things have happened in those years. I've learned so much about this game I've always loved, and gone from never even having heard of xml to being proficient in its use. I've learned so much about other cultures, met so many wonderful (and interesting and funny and sometimes downright disturbing) people. I've laughed, and cried, and yelled and joked and gnashed my teeth and basked in exhilaration. It's been a bumpy road indeed, but it has always remained worth it to me. I (and all of us who partake of what UOEX has to offer), owe that to you. Because of you, we have this great place to come together and be our nerdy selves. Because of you, I became close with +Mocha, who is now one of my best friends in game and out. Because of you, I met +V, the most magnificent male I have ever met.

Because you took a risk and hired some random Texan redhead, +V and I have had 5 wonderful, happy years together filled with all the bumps and bruises and joys of this thing called life. Thanks to you, +V and I started a journey together, a journey that just a few nights ago, resulted in our engagement. +V proposed to me on our 5 year anniversary, under the fireworks, and we have you to thank for introducing us all those years ago. So, thank you, +Colibri. For everything, but most especially for that introduction.

❤️
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Re: Dear +Colibri,

Post by culichi »

congratulations!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

I'm glad to see we have the blush smiley already :oops:

Happy anniversary to you and +Veritas, and congratulations on the engagement!

Btw on a technical note - you mentioned knowing "xml", xml is the standardized data format, you probably mean "xmlspawner notation" and the workings of the XmlDialog and similar systems that can be used to make in-game functionality :)
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

Congratulations to you both!!!
TDC Guild
Pheobe
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Pheobe »

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!

I was totally doing the girly happy dance when I read that!

Congratulations to you both!
Slymenstrah
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Slymenstrah »

Ohh!!! Congratulations to you!!! what an exciting and heart warming thing to hear!

Uoex really is a wonderful place, and to see something like this makes me even more happy i came across it!
+Mocha
Expert Scribe

Post by +Mocha »

I don't even know what to say other than I am so very happy for you both!
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

Fantastic!!! I met my other half in Trinsic in 1998 and we are still together. May you both enjoy your roots here as well and at least as long.

You are part of a wonderful attentive staff and your gratitude for it is totally understandable and deserved.

As they say Mazel Tov!!!!!
andy barrington
Apprentice Scribe

Post by andy barrington »

congratulations to you both. my wife and i have been married for 36yrs and they have been just as you described. but... i wouldn't change a minute of it. i pray that ya'll have a long and happy life together. good luck
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

Wow!! Congratulations!!! Love all the work you have done its made me love UO again! 8)
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

Congratulations, both of you! :)
Entora
Master Scribe

Post by Entora »

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you two! <3

Secretly looking forward to attend another UO wedding but groom and bride are both staff this time! It would be awesome!
Odin1
Novice Scribe

Post by Odin1 »

Congrats, I wish you both a life of happiness.
Rahr
Elder Scribe

Post by Rahr »

Congratulations ya'll! Nice snag +V ;)
Kara
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Kara »

Congrats, you two! :dance