Mistvale- Nimre

Name says it all
Ysara
Journeyman Scribe

Mistvale- Nimre

Post by Ysara »

I went into this dungeon today because I need to kill elder gazers for the gloves. It is absolutely awful in this dungeon. Everything seems to see you as soon as you step into the maze from behind the entrance wall. Everything can attack you but when you go to attack it it says that the target cannot be seen. My pets were all wiped out from being hit by things that were standing behind the walls. I couldn't even drag my pets out because their AI doesn't allow them to leave after being hit by a mob. And I was spamming "all come" believe me. This was really disappointing because so far I've been enjoying the dungeons. Is there any way that we can get this dungeon changed to a different map? I think that at one point I had like 3 bone daemons, 4 devourer of souls, some succubus, and poison elementals on myself and pets. The bone daemons alone have a crap top of health but then add in the devourers and the succubus sucking health from everyone. It was really terrible and quite impossible. I think that even a veteran would have had a hard time with it unless they could one shot everything. I literally had like 15 creatures on me. lol I really hope that it can be changed. I am sorry to ask cause I know that's a lot of work, but the dungeon as it stands now seems to be more for veterans and not new-ish players.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong area. I didn't really see it as a feature request since it's already implemented so that's why I put it here.
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Mistvale- Nimre

Post by +Nyx »

The dungeons have existed for something like 3 years now, I don't have any plans to make any significant changes to them, and they're not going to move maps. If you're having trouble with a particular dungeon, try another one. Some are just more challenging than others, and that's by design. You can kill the mobs you need for the mistvale quests in any place - it doesn't have to be in a mistvale dungeon, and the item drops needed for the quests drop in every mistvale dungeon. So, you can just find the ones that work for you and utilize those instead.

Also, try "all follow me" instead of "all come" for your pets. There's nothing that stops them going back through the exit gate after being attacked.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Or all stop followed by all follow me.
Character name: Ebony
Kara
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Kara »

It's when I read posts like this that the power differential between new players and moderately old players like me becomes glaringly obvious.

I just did an ingenious t-map and three balrons popped up and I was like, "That's it? MOAR ballies, please!"

Point being: You'll get to the point wherein devourers, bone daemons, succubi are like, "Ugh, trash! Gimme five paragon balrons!"
Ysara
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ysara »

@Annachie All stop only works to stop them from attacking for a moment, as soon as something else hits them they are back at it again. I was spamming everything and they just would not come. That's normal, it's the way they were designed. It's a good thing cause if you get separated then your pet is not going to just lay down and die. lol So I expected that. It's just the difficulty of the dungeon that I did not. I guess that's why that dungeon was completely empty when I was there whereas the others had quite a few people run past me.

@Nyx Thank you for replying. I guess that's why that dungeon was empty.

@Kara lol I think that seems a long way off right now. Thank you for the vote of confidence and encouragement. I tell ya that I can't wait for that day. I was helpless sitting there with no mana unable to heal 3 pets taking damage. I can only use bandies on one at a time and it was just not enough. Thank you for the laugh. I really appreciate it.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Honestly Ysara, unless you are completely swamped, it should work.

It can also be a way to get pets to all attack the one target.
Character name: Ebony
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

@ysara your still very new, you have plenty more to accomplish just because you have stumbled upon something that seems to be for the moment doesn't mean it needs to be changed. That's part of the beauty of UO is stumbling in to something your not ready for lol. I remember avoiding that dungeon for quite some time and towards the end of my mistvale time being easily cleared out. Keep getting better and exploring and having fun! A lot more stuff to see and do :)
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

I might add pet management when the mob count is high can be tricky. very very tricky

the moment I was able to ditch the pets entirely (for the most part) I did.

however suggesting this.
Ysara wrote: I think that even a veteran would have had a hard time with it unless they could one shot everything. I literally had like 15 creatures on me. lol I really hope that it can be changed. I am sorry to ask cause I know that's a lot of work, but the dungeon as it stands now seems to be more for veterans
I as a vet cannot even enter mistvale at all. but no I have supreme confidence that +nyx could drop me on the tile where I would be most surrounded and do fine. what is interesting, this dungeon you think is too difficult, inside of 2 weeks you will begin to see is not, not even mildly. there is plenty you can handle at your current level.
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Blathzar
Elder Scribe

Post by Blathzar »

Ysara wrote:I went into this dungeon today because I need to kill elder gazers for the gloves.
Just saying that all quest related kills (not items) can be made anywhere in the Excelsior World. Not specificaly within the Mistvale Dungeons.

As for Elder Gazers, there are plenty in shame mid level and some in Covetous 2nd level. Just need to run around a bit. :)

Good luck.
Ysara
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ysara »

@All that replied. Thanks so much for the encouragement and thank you to all that suggested going to a different dungeon outside of mistvale. I was able to get it done. Took quite a while cause there was less spawn, but it's better then doing that dungeon at this point. I can see why you ditch pets if possible, Yoda. If I would have stayed there with them then I would have been toast.

The part about that dungeon that is bad is that everything can see you but the system won't let me or my pets attack anything. It says it can't be seen. That's why I suggested changing the map. The spawn is probably doable even for me at this level in my training but I think it's the map that causes the issue. There are cracks in between the buildings and half walls that that block us. Pets can't get around them but the magic using mobs can hit us from there. That's all I was saying but thank goodness I got it done!

Yoda, Octavius, Annachie, Kara, Nyx, and Blathzar! Thank you all for replying! It's so awesome to have support from everyone. I look forward to the day I can go in and wipe all their butts out. rotfl
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

I really can't comment on mistvale of the maps as I haven't seen them

but thats the downfall of pets, you can be ace with control ace with scripts..

and all it takes is a mobcount more than 5 and directions of attack being multiple, scenery glitch etc. and the pets get you in trouble.

in truth I didn't get pets at all maybe till about a year in, I survived, got gold, grew properties, one of the truely amazing and joyous things is how many ways to make money there are and how many there will always be.

When I was new here, everyone told me do the rat quest do the rat quest do the rat quest.. and at the time it was astoundingly profitable, exex price on organics was vastly greater. but after 1 run of the quest I was bored.. and after 2, Id had more than my fill.. so I looked for an alternate way.

TECHNICALLY this one still works, although I would suggest to the old green elementals that perhaps its time to relocate to a quieter unique place, you old fellas don't seem as aggressive as the rest of minoc.

Anyhoo I built a boat (You don't get rich writing checks!) and found green elementals in minoc, they dropped energy crystals, I still use them unitubbed up as deco (and this is why). The foundation of my gold reserves started with these energy crystals, I loaded both the hold and deck of my boat which I docked north of the mines. Used a sea chart to get to the south jehlom island, and ferry'd crystals to an npc that bought them for 1000 or so gold each, not sure if this still works but I also raised fishing on the trips

1,000,000 ways to fry a fish even the toughest content can be tackled (well mostly) without relayers or pets.. just ask Cygnus
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Ysara
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ysara »

@Yoda Thanks for letting me know how you got your start! I don't know what the green elementals are but I will have to take my boat to where you said they were and see if they are still there. Finding the NPC might be a bit trickier though it's worth looking for! 1000 gold each piece is fantastic! I didn't make any gold off organics because I kept mine. For the 16 years I've been playing UO, I've almost always been a tamer-mage so I figured that I would use them to make an awesome pet. For the most part pets are terrific, but here they don't work as well because of all the spawn. I think I'm going to have to make a system where I park my pets away from the mobs and then pull SMALL amounts of mobs to them. I will be glad when I can start taking a hit though. lol

The map that I am referring to is in the new Elven area. It's been duped and made into the newbie dungeon called Nimre. The original dungeon is called the Labyrinth. I remember having this issue before on other servers when going into that map, but it was not as bad cause there was less spawn and I was definitely not new. hahaha

Anyway, gonna try your suggestion to make the money to buy better gear or pets. Not sure which route I am going to go now, but having more money will help that. Thank you once again for sharing your tricks! So awesome of you!
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

I have been here for about 3 and a half years now. I have no relayers, yet. What I did do was to get the gear (some through luck, some through purchase, some from just finding great people that were willing to help) and got to 224 dex. This is insta heal with bandies and works swimmingly well with Blazes auto healer. That being said, the other really great help was finally getting a decent weapon and levelling it (at about 60 on my double axe). Had a few along the way that ended up not being the right weapon or the wrong stats for my play style. Once you get to this point, things become much easier. Some of the things that used to frustrate me no end are now somewhat menial. I can now kill a paragon Gnaw without pets. It is actually easier without because they tend to get hit faster than I can heal them ( I have 4 nobles) so they die quite a lot and have lost many of their stats and skills. I also took some great advice and worked up Discord (this makes those buggers easier to hit) to help me out. There are some now (Balrons, regular Gnaw) that I still use disco on but blood eles and poison eles and the like I can kill without using disco, though it still makes it easier, just more work for me than killing them regularly. You can look into a +Max Stats scroll to increase your Str and Dex cap to 150. Again, this takes some time and you might need to start with a +20 as the +50 is crazy expensive for newbs. All this being said, it takes time to get there. The relayers are a good goal, but are not completely necessary as I have found out. Being a great Jedi Master like the Exalted Yoda :mrgreen: will take a while. Enjoy the trip in getting there. Learn how to play using what you have until you can get better gear. Also, learn what is best used for a particular situation (pet and weapon wise). I have seen players come in and donate, get uber gear and pets, then leave because they didn't know how to use it. One guy died 3 times in the Halloween dungeon with full relayers and imps, then he got frustrated and quit. Have not seen him since. Be patient, talk to everyone, ask questions, and most importantly Have Fun!!! That is why we are here after all.