Patch Version 12 Help

Name says it all
Maze Scarlethart
Master Scribe

Patch Version 12 Help

Post by Maze Scarlethart »

Hi, I'm putting this here instead of in a page because I don't think it is something a GM can help with. I mean they might be able to but I don't think this is a bug or technical issue on their end.

I cannot get Excelsior to patch to version 12, I don't know why. I've downloaded the patch and "patched" it dozens of times. I've uninstalled the game and reinstalled with the patched version twice. I've even tried changing browsers because I thought maybe it was a problem with Chrome. Every time it tells me that my files were already up to date. I checked the npc in the patch room and my patched version is 11. I am not patching it wrong, I have done every other patch with no issues at all.

I am 99.9% sure it is nothing to do with the actual patch, it is not a bug. It has to be on my end because Miranda is notorious for not patching his stuff because he doesn't know how so last night I patched his game for him to see if it works for him and I had no problems at all. Our computers are the exact same models with the exact same software and operating systems. We both use UOSteam, easyuo and runuo. I have no idea why mine will not patch and his will.

Anyone have any ideas?
Maze Scarlethart
Master Scribe

Re: Patch Version 12 Help

Ok I had to go through my computer and find all of the files for UO because just deleting the folder didn't get rid of them all. Then I had to reinstall which worked but now I have to get UOSteam to work again which I know was a task last time. :/ But I still want to know why I couldn't patch it to begin with, I really do not want to reinstall every time a new patch drops. Would it be a problem with the new Windows 10 patch? Anyone else have any problems?
TeslaElectra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by TeslaElectra »

When I installed the new patch, the previous patch was called "Expatcher" and the new one was called "Expatcher.latest" or something like that so it did not override the old one. So I had to delete the old one in order to get mine working. Probably not what's going on but just throwing it out there.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

You saw that your patch version is still 11 - did you do this by the [account command, and it shows you there?

In the odd issue you describe, here's what i would try: since you use steam, and might have multiple installations of UO: in the client folder that you have patched to the latest patch, doubleclick client.exe file.
- if in-game you still see that you're version 11, it's likely really a patching issue.
- if in game it says you're expatch12, and you see the graphics in the preview room, then your client is actually patched. In this case, it's probably UOSteam/Easyuo that starts the wrong client (another installation, which isnt patched). In this case, you should open up Expatcher again, and click "Add to registry".

Also:
- go to your UO directory, search for "*.expatcher-part" - that's a temporary file that expatcher makes while downloading, maybe one got stuck, and is perhaps cannot be written to.
- when you run the expatcher, does it say "Version 0.10 - 2016-09-01" in the title bar? that's the latest version
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Maze Scarlethart
Master Scribe

Theres actually a NPC in the patch room that tells you your patch version when you type "version", which is pretty neat.

I did get the patch to work, I must have had multiple downloads of UO for some reason because I deleted one but found a second else where on my computer. I deleted everything I could find related to Excelsior and reinstalled and that did the trick. It may have also been the expatcher-part thing, I do remember seeing expatcher files from version 11 hanging around but I didnt realize it was supposed to be a temporary file. Either way, the extra file got deleted when I uninstalled the game.

Thankyou Tesla and +C for your responses. Next time I run into this problem I will have a better idea of what to do other than deleting the whole program :)