Client resolution update/mod

Name says it all
Olyvar
Apprentice Scribe

Client resolution update/mod

Post by Olyvar »

I haven't played here in awhile and was wondering if any thought was given to updating the client to support a bigger draw distance. EA updated their client some time ago to support smaller resolutions and there has even been a client mod released on Reddit by a fan who mimicked EA's updates to support slightly older clients (it's not guaranteed to work below 6.0 though).

I know I can adjust my desktop resolution to make playing a bit easier but I'd really rather not. I frequently multi-task while playing UO and having my browser displaying text half the size of the screen isn't a fun experience. If there are no plans to update the draw distance for people who play on a 1920x1080 resolution, are we permitted to test the client mod released on Reddit? I doubt that there's any way to effectively detect such a mod but I still wanted to be forthright and ask about it.

Link to the mod: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultimaonline/c ... ent_70151/
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Client resolution update/mod

Post by +Nyx »

Hi,
It's not something we are interested in doing at this time. Perhaps sometime in the future, but making edits to the client is tricky and we don't trust other people's work enough to just plug something someone else made in. You can make your game window larger using razor or another 3rd party client, which will give you several additional tiles of view space.

As for using their mod yourself, you shouldn't. Our client.exe is specific to uoex and you will experience crashing and other issues if you aren't using our client and patched files.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Re: Client resolution update/mod

Post by Yoda »

or just do what I did and use it as an excuse to justify a much much bigger tv for the monitor..........

oh yeah my wife plays here....
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011