wax refiner

Name says it all
Sadie McKee
Adept Scribe

Re: wax refiner

Post by Sadie McKee »

many people probably won't stick with bees that fight and do champs. But I am older and don't have good eyesight. I enjoy crafting and this is a nice addition to the crafting system. I am far from rich but I retrieved 1100 wax last night and made 300k or maybe a few thousand more and that was over a period of 4 or 5 days. I enjoy this shard very much and whichever way it goes I will still enjoy it. Just my thoughts.
patrix
Elder Scribe

Post by patrix »

Not to worry, I wouldnt smack you. If I just dismissed the argument you made in your post, or dismissed you completely by saying that this is a custom shard, or that you're off topic, then next time when you didn't like something you probably wouldn't bother to post. And we need a full spectrum of inputs to get a clear picture.
Thanks +C. I didn't really believe I would get 'smacked', it was a flippant remark.
I do appreciate that players get listened to on this shard and that the ongoing evolution of the shard is to be celebrated not condemned. Having said that, I stand by my earlier post of hoping that future developments maintain the essentially agrarian nature of UO.

Regardless of which way the developments go I will remain a loyal player on Excelsior.

Michi
Michiko in game

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle..
Irina Dunn
Angel
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Angel »

can i go do other things while the wax refiner is working?
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Hi,

Just want to make sure I understand the math:

wax pot, 480 gp refines 255 * 50 = 12750 wax in 10 minutes or so
480/12750 ~= 0.0376 gold per wax produced

wax machine, 1 coal (5gp) per wax plus other expenses (wax machine, repair, etc). So more than 100 times as expensive to produce wax.
Also takes a couple hours per 1000 wax, can only load it with 1000 wax at a time can can't quickly macro through one's stores of unrefined wax.

So, what's the plan? Wax sells for 292 so suck it up, it's still a good deal? Raise the sale price of wax to match? The machines will do something handy that the wax pots didn't like auto-fill the wax from a house's beehives?

Edit: because no wax is lost (unlike the pots that lose 5% to 10%) it's a good deal from day one. With upgrades it becomes much better than the pots.

Regards,
Wil
Last edited by Wil on Tue May 02, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alamiester
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alamiester »

im hoping there is something in the works for harvesting wax and honey from the beehives, maybe a keyset or something for all beehive related stuff, the wax and harvesting tools are most annoying too me. they only have 50 uses. that only gets through part of a hive. maybe they should be added to the tool house for 60000 use combined.
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

I cant recall exactly how much of the raw wax was lost using the old wax pots but with machines there is zero loss. if you use leveling points to increase extra resource chance you can increase output by 1% per level so really the cost of the coal is worth it.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Interesting. I didn't notice that it was giving wax and slumgum, not wax or slumgum like the pots do.
Angel
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Angel »

Is it the personal vendor spawner that gives you a beekeeper? i don't see anything else that would in the ED room.
Sadie McKee
Adept Scribe

Post by Sadie McKee »

Angel wrote:Is it the personal vendor spawner that gives you a beekeeper? i don't see anything else that would in the ED room.
Yes that's the one that will let you choose a beekeeper. :)
Last edited by Sadie McKee on Mon May 01, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac Newton
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Isaac Newton »

culichi wrote:I cant recall exactly how much of the raw wax was lost using the old wax pots but with machines there is zero loss. if you use leveling points to increase extra resource chance you can increase output by 1% per level so really the cost of the coal is worth it.
Well, I just used the pots last week to cook my collection of 118,299 wax. Crunching my numbers, that is just about 500 days of stockpiling. With the math being that close, I think I last processed wax when my bees turned 500. That sounds like the kind of round number day thing I would do. Like this time, on day 1000. Except this time, it was driven by fear of change and not multiple zeros. :worried: I ended up with a 9.8% loss to gum. There were multiple times I lost only 1/255, but I did not see a 0/255.
Isaac Newton

What sad times are these when passing ruffians can say ‘Ni’ at will to old ladies.
HarmBringer
Adept Scribe

Post by HarmBringer »

I read few replies here and was thinking about the whole concern of multiple machines and inflation that they might bring in general...

It is unnecessary to have multiple machines. The only reason why many people saved Raw Wax till 60K or higher was because it is a "torture" like some people said to do it manually. With an average of 1.6K raw wax produced weekly, two Machine loads per week are enough to refine the whole wax. The only reason why some may use 2+ Wax machines now is to use up Dusty stockpile of ancient raw Wax :)

As for concern of inflating the Economy, I think it is a benefit of having these machines at least wrt Wax refining. The reason being as said before, there will be less amount of gold implemented each time into the game. In addition, Beekeepers will take more time off from hunting in Fel which will reduce gold inflation from Hunting. If gold inflation is what you are really afraid of, then remove Bags of Holding, for instance ;)

As for concern of it getting more expensive.... When you refine with Pots, on average 10% of Wax is lost/turned into 3gp Slumgum..... which is 100Wax lost out of 1000, while Machines convert 100% + produce Slumgum once in a while. I think math is unnecessary at this point, in addition with Resource increase chance, the difference is 101+ Wax.... This amount easily covers repair Kit and Coal usage. TBH I would rather reduce coal usage, but make it only available from Beekeepers and make them more expensive.... like 20 Coal should be enough for 1K Raw Wax with Coal costing 250Gp each (this amount is breakeven). What the heck make it even 400GP each, but save me trouble of buying all the coal for My 80K+ Raw Wax :lookingout:
fixxer1963
Legendary Scribe

Post by fixxer1963 »

What is the deal with the books sold by the Beekeepers? What do they do exactly?
And is there any news about the mining of the coal?
Will coal be added to [exex?
Just some questions I have been meaning to ask.
Hawke Armstrong/FiXXer
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

fixxer1963 wrote:What is the deal with the books sold by the Beekeepers? What do they do exactly?
You can also refine wax through the alchemy menu. Not sure why you would, but you can. The books make it go faster.
fixxer1963
Legendary Scribe

Post by fixxer1963 »

Wil wrote:
fixxer1963 wrote:What is the deal with the books sold by the Beekeepers? What do they do exactly?
You can also refine wax through the alchemy menu. Not sure why you would, but you can. The books make it go faster.

ahh. thanks for the reply
Hawke Armstrong/FiXXer