How Do You Uninstall Excelsior UO

Name says it all
RedRocker
Passer by

How Do You Uninstall Excelsior UO

Post by RedRocker »

I am cleaning off my wife's computer (she never did end up using the secondary Excelsior account I setup for her). How can I uninstall Excelsior UO? It does not show up on the Programs and Features to uninstall it, no "uninstall" in the folder...any suggestions?
Sir Blood
Elder Scribe

Re: How Do You Uninstall Excelsior UO

Post by Sir Blood »

2 options as the uninstaller is not included... probably a 3rd but I don't see the 3rd just yet... ^_^

- 1 -
Delete the folder

- 2 -
Can be risky will remove everything in game folder - Install Steam to your UO folder (the online way to get video games) then uninstall steam, it will remove UO as well... there is also a chance it will remove every single game installed on your computer...
- - In game name:: Simply Delicious - -
Find my HUGE Rune LIbrary
- Main Floor Housegates
- Bottom SE corner, look for the black and white housegate tile (looks like a QR code you can scan)
Rune displayed @TC -- Far West Wall: Simply's
RedRocker
Passer by

Post by RedRocker »

Tried the Steam method...since it wasn't installed with Steam, all it offers is to delete the shortcut. I'm concerned that if I just delete the folder, there will still be registry entries for the game in windows (using Win 10). Anyone else care to assist? How about someone from Excelsior? I find it hard to believe that the Dev team doesn't have an answer for this... :?
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

Just delete the fp;der and its uninstalled or u can do a search for "uo" on your hard drive and delete everything it finds (as long as it has a uo excelsior folder addy if it comes up with uo'somethin windows but id go with the first option since u dont seem to know that much about puters sorry if u do no offense intended ;)
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
RedRocker
Passer by

Post by RedRocker »

Actually, I've worked with PCs/mainframes/minis for 30+ years and do have quite a bit of computer knowledge, thus my concerns about the Windows registry...not much gets installed or loaded on a Windows PC without registry updates, which is why you should never (or almost never - probably 99% of the time) just delete a folder and assume that the software has been uninstalled. No offense intended but it is something that should always be considered. Thanks for the advice tho!
lnickos
Expert Scribe

Post by lnickos »

Sometimes, programs do not add to winreg. I suspect that UO is such a program. You can browse your winreg to verify this by spot-checking the winreg. On the assumption that UO is not registered, I think you can safely delete the folder without worrying about side-effects.

If you want to look more into it, I do have a lead. Try to search more information about RunUO, which is the platform for which custom UO servers run. Perhaps they will provide an answer regarding the winreg.
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

if u think its really necessary in uoex's case to get every little snippet of bits and bytes off your system (there are a lot of programs i feel strongly about that) you could always load a backup of your computer that was made before u installed it or as last ditch effort wipe your hdd and do clean install of windows xxx and dont reinstall . then your sure to be good and uo clean
other then that just delete the folder and be done with it... 20+ years workin on puters lots of it havin to do with virus's and software conflict, enough experience to do low lvl soldering till it got cheaper just to replace the offending c"ard involved...still do some when it involves mobo but that is prob cheaper atm.
"never have had a prob with a computer due to leftover UO files" just my 2 gold pieces
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
RedRocker
Passer by

Post by RedRocker »

Well said, from the both of you. I'll do as suggested and yes, I am a bit OCD on a "clean" system...since I used to build out systems from "back in the day", I tend to get frustrated when things don't uninstall clean...even when using the "provided" uninstaller, most programs leave settings and folders, etc. behind...grrrr. :sick: Thanks for the advice!