A New/Old Player

Name says it all
Achaus
Journeyman Scribe

A New/Old Player

Post by Achaus »

Hello,

Returning to UO after 18 years...

1999 feels like forever ago. Where does the time go. Used to play Baja, and was a member of The Mage Tower. (cant believe I remember that) After doing some research on freeshards, this place felt right. I am excited to return and figure this out all over again. So much to learn, I have been reading the wiki, tons of information, I have been training some combat skills, but any other advice or help would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to meeting some people in game.
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: A New/Old Player

Post by +Nyx »

Welcome home :)

UOEX is a really great place, and you're already ahead of the crowd if you're reading the wiki while you train skills. This is what we always try to recommend to new players :)

I can't recommend enough that you run the newbie dungeon quests as often as you can for the first 21 days. Don't let other players talk you into running for things like the GoCs and gold farming. That all comes later, and getting to it too soon will stall your progression arc after a few weeks. You can only access the newbie dungeon for the first 3 weeks, and there's a lot of profit to be had from the quests there that you will lose out on if you jump ahead of it.

Most importantly, have fun!
Blathzar
Elder Scribe

Post by Blathzar »

Welcome back !

First thing you might want to know about the shard is that it is loaded with custom stuff. It is a really good start to have read through the Wiki as it is loaded with information. You might want to look at the New Player Section for most of the basic information you really need to get fired up.

Otherwise you can always ask in world chat ( [c your message here ) and alot of people are willing to give help and hints. You might also want to use the [pm playername yourmessagehere to have a conversation just not to flood the world chat. There are rules you might want to look up in the Codex as well. Which are really important. Some concerning the world chat abuse and so on.

All in all, enjoy your stay and we'll probably meet ingame.

Cheers
Achaus
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Achaus »

Thank you for the welcome.

I have been running the Rat Quest quite frequenlty, but the other two are way out of my ability to finish. The dungeon hopper wants me to kill dragons...not ready for that since I cant kill searing elementals yet.
Blathzar
Elder Scribe

Post by Blathzar »

If you have some taming and gold. You might want to invest in some animals to fight for you as well. You can get some mean machines for a decent price. I remember JDI had some crane with 1000 hp that were really cool to play with when i first started. Well anything can help uh ! :D
Pek
Elder Scribe

Post by Pek »

Welcome to Excelsior.

I played on Baja too back in 1998 when T2A came out. Those were the days of bare knuckle fighting your friends to raise Wrestling so that you were less prone to interrupts while casting magic. And days when an Energy bolt 1 shot you and Reapers were my most hated enemies.

You'll find that Magery is rarely used in combat here and that most people are dexxers. This is due to the raised stat cap and 220 dex allowing for instant bandage heals. However, in saying all of that, feel free to play your character however you wish.

You no longer need to chose a template on this shard as there is no skill cap, but I still like to consider myself a Warrior Bard :D

Enjoy and feel free to ask questions if you can't find the answers yourself. Best of luck and happy hunting.
Ecthelion - Drizzt - Gandalf Greyhame
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Welcome friend, you will find a lot os customized stuff here in this server (which is great and unique) and I hope you love it like we all do.

I leave you this wiki link for you to read as this is important stuff to do while starting.

http://www.uoex.net/wiki/Mistvale

Any questions just simply ask around everyone will be happy to help :)
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Welcome to the shard :) If you need some help or info feel free to PM me (Gaara) in-game.
Achaus
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Achaus »

Silent wrote:Welcome friend, you will find a lot os customized stuff here in this server (which is great and unique) and I hope you love it like we all do.

I leave you this wiki link for you to read as this is important stuff to do while starting.

http://www.uoex.net/wiki/Mistvale

Any questions just simply ask around everyone will be happy to help :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I will head that way once my 21 days are up.

Quick question: I am just discovering LRC (among many other things, so many new lands), since this was never a thing back in the day, Is it crafted? found? if you get to 100% will you not use any regs?

Thanks.
Achaus
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Achaus »

Pek wrote:Welcome to Excelsior.

I played on Baja too back in 1998 when T2A came out. Those were the days of bare knuckle fighting your friends to raise Wrestling so that you were less prone to interrupts while casting magic. And days when an Energy bolt 1 shot you and Reapers were my most hated enemies.

You'll find that Magery is rarely used in combat here and that most people are dexxers. This is due to the raised stat cap and 220 dex allowing for instant bandage heals. However, in saying all of that, feel free to play your character however you wish.

You no longer need to chose a template on this shard as there is no skill cap, but I still like to consider myself a Warrior Bard :D

Enjoy and feel free to ask questions if you can't find the answers yourself. Best of luck and happy hunting.

Thanks for the advice. Oh I know what you mean in raising wrestling, so many bloodied friends. I was reading about the 220 dex, im a long way from that, but good to know. Also, crafting to GM was such a rare and respected thing back then. Seem so common now. Lol
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Oh you have a lot to discover here, I felt the same since I returned from old t2a sphere servers, too many lands get lost quite often xP

LRC at 100% = no reg cost, this means you can raise your skills all the way for free, there used to be some vendors selling full set back when I started don't know if it all stayed the same tbh. The quest I sent you is extremely important since a lot of players forget to do them and lose a lot of valuable gear, you can also sell some of the stuff to old veterans for a very good price (but you will need them too).

you can also check all the player vendors data base which includes itmes in sale and location (used to have price too dunno what happened) to make that job easier, or just ask around someone might have an old kit.

vendor link: http://vendors.uoex.net/
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Pek
Elder Scribe

Post by Pek »

Achaus wrote: Thanks for the advice. Oh I know what you mean in raising wrestling, so many bloodied friends. I was reading about the 220 dex, im a long way from that, but good to know. Also, crafting to GM was such a rare and respected thing back then. Seem so common now. Lol
GMing skills is much much easier here. For combat abilities, you can go to the training room and use the training dummies and training daggers there to get your combat skills up to 75. I did it the old school way and went and fought stuff. Old habits.

I never did the young player dungeon or quests, but most people will advise that you do. Once you can, go do the Mistvale quests for some excellent gear. I was lucky enough to do them when they first came out and I still use the quest rewards.

220 dex is a nice to have, but not a necessity unless you want to stand toe to toe with the hard hitting mobs. Until I hit 220 dex, I used Vampiric Embrace + Breath of the Dead (which I turned into a double axe) to heal myself via Life leech.

There are heaps of other tips and tricks which I'm happy to share with you, so pm whenever you get stuck.

Enjoy and good luck,

Pek
Ecthelion - Drizzt - Gandalf Greyhame
Deorum
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Deorum »

Welcome back to UO! I was also a former Baja player from UO:Ren through AOS, Samurai Empire, etc. Played characters named Medea and Deorum and used to run with Luminoso, Grimskull, and Rorschach in The Watchmen and House of Light guilds. Man - hard to believe it was that long ago. You'll like it here - the rules allow you to get up to speed quickly without making things too easy :)