voting

Name says it all
Argyle
Apprentice Scribe

Re: voting

Post by Argyle »

Just to make sure - you have to vote from the same IP address as the one that you use for UO.
Ingame char name is microcline
Sadie McKee
Adept Scribe

Post by Sadie McKee »

I have been voting for the shard by going to the internet instead of going to tc and it hasn't counted for 6 days now. I vote on all 5 sites everyday. This am I went to tc and voted from the stone and it counted as a yes instead of a no.
Sir Blood
Elder Scribe

Post by Sir Blood »

+Colibri

I understand the reason to change the voting sites every once in a while, BUT THEY CHANGE EVERY OTHER DAY!!!!!

Well, they have been changing around a lot the past week or so... Incentive to go to the main site and open the voting sites one by one from the bottom of the page and not to shortcut them to your bookmarks page...
- - In game name:: Simply Delicious - -
Find my HUGE Rune LIbrary
- Main Floor Housegates
- Bottom SE corner, look for the black and white housegate tile (looks like a QR code you can scan)
Rune displayed @TC -- Far West Wall: Simply's
Entora
Master Scribe

Post by Entora »

Sadie McKee wrote:I have been voting for the shard by going to the internet instead of going to tc and it hasn't counted for 6 days now. I vote on all 5 sites everyday. This am I went to tc and voted from the stone and it counted as a yes instead of a no.
Sadly i got the same too.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

I've been successfully voting but if Recaptcha doesn't improve soon I'll probably stop. Fool thing tells my I'm wrong at least a couple times before accepting an answer.

Pick all street signs. Except for these that are sideways , visible from behind, or somewhere in the background.

Mark all squares that contain street signs. By street signs we mean the big banner for the laundry, occupying 3/4 of the image.

Pick all store fronts. A church is also a store.

Pick all photos that contain food. Nope, that on the table of the restaurant doesn't count.

Pick all the mountains. Those pyramids are mountains.

Seriously, the captcha doesn't test if you're a human, it tests if you are a crappy image-recognition AI!
Alibaster
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alibaster »

Today I went in game and launched a voting session from the stone in TC. I also turned off my ad blocker in Chrome and my voting was recorded as fair. Tomorrow I'll try without going to TC and see if that made a difference.
Alibaster in game!!
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Yesterday i was unable to vote on 2 sits and got a "not fair" vote but it turned into "fair" afterwards when i tried voting for the sites again. Don't know if this is intentional or not :P
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Sir Blood wrote:On a side note, the voting sites DO change from time to time
Actually they change all the time, and have been for probably over 2 years now. Some of them are more likely to come up and some less. (maybe you're just noticing this now :mrgreen: )

scroft391 wrote:Is it possible an ad blocker is causing the problem?
Someone submitted a ticket saying that they voted after making 2 changes, one of them was turning off adblocker, and it went thru after that. It's possible that sites actually ignore votes (or dont send confiration) if they detect an adblocker, but I would assume it shouldn't make a difference.

Otherwise if your votes aren't registering, the best solution for most cases was to start voting from within the game: Go to the vote reward stone, click the "open browser" link. That way, your votes will be tagged and as the server gets a confirmation, it will surely know where it belongs.
(this was added in I think october, when gtop100 switched to IPv6).

As for captchas, specifically Recaptcha - it can be a huge pain, I know. I tried voting from different ISPs here, my main ISP just gives the checkbox "i'm not a robot" and that's it. For another, I remember it gave me a full turning test, from store fronts, traffic signs, clicking houses and lakes and whatnot, until it finally let me thru.
It is what the sites are using, and there's no way to influence that, i assume... I remember a while back, recaptcha had an option to "report unrecognizable image" but i haven't seen that when testing these days.
I guess that's the best they can do to keep bots away... but yes, it's really really annoying for us humans. There's the alternative of having to enter a phone number though, which can be a bit problematic trust&privacy wise.
More info about recaptcha, the currently most popular captcha system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Alibaster
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alibaster »

Today instead of launching my browser from the Town Center, i just launched it with the game not open at all. Even with the Ad Blocker turned off, I got a "fail" even after voting on all 5 sites. My conclusion is the Ad Blocker doesn't impact voting for me. For some reason I now have to log into UO and launch my browser from TC in order to vote. Anyone know what's changed? Any work around? I'd prefer not to log into UO just to vote every day. It just ads more time to the process. I try and vote every day before I go to work so every minute counts. Any suggestions on what I can change to make it work like before?
Alibaster in game!!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

scroft391, can you tell me your in-game name? Or if you don't want to post it here, you can send a help ticket in game. That way i'll be able to check your detailed logs.

Otherwise, this change seems to have an impact... either that, or it's just all this talk about voting everywhere that reminds players to vote :D
votes increase.png
votes increase.png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 3124 times

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Here's a new one.

I just voted, and received a "This ip last voted 7 hours ago"from one of the sites, but the stone indicated that I was OK to vote.
Gave me an unfair too. :(

Now says I have a reward to collect and can vote again in 23 huors, 59 minutes.
Character name: Ebony
Superduke
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Superduke »

My vote went through on all sites yet the stone said i voted unfair. I voted again on 2 sites but even when ithese werent accepted the stone turned to fair. The day bedore i wasnt able to vote on 2 sites but my vote was fair.
I fail to see the logic behind it.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Annachie, i see the problem yeah - looks like the stone calculated it wrong. However, your vote was consdiered fair (and maybe you'll even level-up when you claim this reward).

Superduke, i can't find you in game (no player with that name), if you tell me your name i can check more info what exactly happened.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Got an unfair vote even though i successfully voted on all sites :?

edit: it switched to fair..?
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Pretty sure that the cool down period on the stone wasn't 24 hours. Closer to 20 or 21 despite saying it started from 24.

Also, note for people, when I voted then dbl clicked the stone it listed the vote as unfair, but when I checked again a minute later it had changed to fair.

Might be a good idea to wait a minute after voting.
Character name: Ebony