Theoretically suitable "Classses" System

Name says it all
neverhood
Passer by

Theoretically suitable "Classses" System

Post by neverhood »

please disregard

someone please delete this
Last edited by neverhood on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Versales
Elder Scribe

Re: Theoretically suitable "Classses" System

Post by Versales »

I like your idea, in theory. However, the issue that arises here, is that since there are no skill caps then there is no real incentive to choose a class. When it comes to having different level of crafter and warrior etc. there is no incentive to choose these classes.

Let me frame it this way, say you get to some X level of crafter. You worked very hard, and gained that skill, and thus you should reap the reward of crafting these "awesome" weapons, and armor. You are then going to sell those weps and armor to pretty much one audience, newbies. This is because there is a system in place whereby more advanced players arm/armor themselves. We have the GoC items, which are nice for new-mid range players. and then we have relayers for the advanced crowd. The crafted armor is not going to nearly reach that level of potential. The same can be said of weapons. Don't get me wrong a crafted wep can be quite good. It just takes time and effort to make the really good ones.

There is something similar to be said for the warrior class. Once a player has 3-4 relayers, and they are sitting at 220 dex with some decent hit points, they can pretty much solo most things. Don't get me wrong there are some things that are still a little challenge, and there are some things that are impossible, like the monsters that will instant kill anyone (like proxy). Then, those players have taming already at their disposal, along with imps, that allow them to solo even those things.

That isn't to say that your idea isn't awesome and doesn't have its place. However, I don't think its something that necessarily needs to be implemented here. Personally, I have several characters that I have instituted "rules" on to make gameplay more challenging.

For instance, I have one character who I made an initial set of armor for and gave some bandaids and turned him loose in the world, no macroing, no scripts, just running around in the woods trying to kill trolls and the like.
Then I have a "hardcore" character. where the rule are, he started with nothing, I even took the gold from his bank, and the items from his pack and ditched them all. He had to start out completely naked and with useless skills. and zero funds, and he can only wear items he loots, or buys from NPC vendors. You'd be surprised are how hard it is to kill a hind with no skill and no armor! For me its nice to hop onto those characters every now and then to give me self a bit of a break from the regular style of play. I have even instated a rule for this character that he can't train mining until he is a gm blacksmith. That means killing a LOT of earth eles!

TL;DR : Everyone will just continue to be a power player even if this were instituted
Valorian in game!
neverhood
Passer by

Post by neverhood »

__
Last edited by neverhood on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

please don't take this the wrong way

but generally speaking I find it productive to spend more than 4 days at a place before suggesting it rework its core mechanics to suit you
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

neverhood wrote:(chances are we could work this out with donations, just in case)
That is not how it works here, and if it did, I would quit.

That said... While I find your idea interesting for a brand-new shard, or someone's pet project, it's just not something that would be implemented here. The shard is 11 years old and counting, and we don't really have any interest in reinventing the wheel at this point.