Sneaks, thieves and rogues

Name says it all
Bognor
Passer by

Sneaks, thieves and rogues

Post by Bognor »

I got led to Excelsior last week by an old friend I played with on Siege Perilous. I had a cold so I spent a *lot* of time playing.

Most of the content and mechanics seem consistent with what I experienced in the mid-2000's when I would pop on and play a few weeks on Pacific or Chesapeake. Felucca was a bit of a shock when I took my noob there and promptly got him killed, but that was my fault. I played back in the day when there was only one facet, and the road to the Brit moongate was strewn with corpses every weekend night. I know how to die!

But there is one area that puzzles me. I used to occasionally play a bit of a cheerful rogue who was basically a treasure hunter and a dungeon sneak. One of the ways I would skill up on Remove Trap was to obtain a set of trapped boxes from a carpenter/tinker and practice untrapping and opening them and then get them re-trapped.

So I got out my carpenter/tinker last evening to make a set of trapped boxes for my newly created rogue and was surprised to find that 1) there are no key rings on his menu and 2) he does not have an option to trap a container. What is the deal with that? Is one expected to develop Remove Trap strictly on public containers? (I suppose with the rapid skill increase on this shard that is not as onerous as it would have been in the past?)

Also, my baby rogue does not seem to have stealth on his skill list. He can hide, but he cannot stay hidden if he moves. I am not sure how he would walk thru a dungeon opening boxes if he cannot stealth. Am I correct in guessing that this kind of character build is not available on Excelsior?

Thank you for any clarification on these questions.

Bognor Regis, Luddite Fencer

(Also:
Amos Thurston, Jack of all Trades
Conary Mor, Paladin Knight
Ouijdani Alvadra, Cheerful Rogue
Asita Ahe, Magickal Lady)
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Re: Sneaks, thieves and rogues

Post by +Requiem »

Key Chains here serve a different purpose than what you may remember. Here, they are used as a crafting component for other storage keys which allow you to hold 60,000 of certain items at nearly no weight.

You can train stealth, but only once you hit 80 hiding.

There is a lot of custom content on this shard. I would strongly recommend spending some time in the training room working on your skills, while you read up on some things you're interested in trying out on the wiki. Of particular use, check out the 220 dex guide, as almost everyone here is a dexxer, because at 220, you can insta heal with bandaids.
Bognor
Passer by

Re: Sneaks, thieves and rogues

Post by Bognor »

+Requiem wrote:Key Chains here serve a different purpose than what you may remember. Here, they are used as a crafting component for other storage keys which allow you to hold 60,000 of certain items at nearly no weight.

You can train stealth, but only once you hit 80 hiding.

There is a lot of custom content on this shard. I would strongly recommend spending some time in the training room working on your skills, while you read up on some things you're interested in trying out on the wiki. Of particular use, check out the 220 dex guide, as almost everyone here is a dexxer, because at 220, you can insta heal with bandaids.

"You can train stealth, but only once you hit 80 hiding. "

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.