Shard opinion about Cupid quest cooldown

Name says it all
kivan78
Apprentice Scribe

Shard opinion about Cupid quest cooldown

Post by kivan78 »

Hi everybody, Blackpix here.

I want to address this issue, to know what other people think about this:
the quest cooldown is 8 hours, so basically you can do it 3 or more probably 2 times a day.

I want to know if theres a reason to put a cooldown like this, instead of a limit for quests that can be made in the span of the 24 hours (for example: you can do the quest two times during the 24 hours of a day).

Many of us, me included, are working people, its hard to fit a 30 minute of game in the morning , before the usual wake up time , and if I want to get the totem , I have to put an alarm 30 minute prior my usual wake up time...
i can do it, ok, but i want to know what are the reasons behind this decision, and what could be different to put a limit in the 24 hours of the day.

thanks,bye ;)

p.s the fact that i have to sleep 30 minute less in the night does not make the quest more difficult or challenging, in the gameplay sense.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Re: Shard opinion about Cupid quest cooldown

Post by Annachie »

Simplicity actually.

It's easier, and simpler, to keep track of the time since you last ran the quest, which is already part of the quest system, than to try and keep track of if you've done the quest twice already in the one 24 hour period.
Character name: Ebony
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

I have to say that I agree with the day limit, instead of the time limit for the same reasons. But that could create a very slow run for players since there would be a lot of people at the same time (and repeatedly) so that might be bad for everyone... :/
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
ScarletArmstrong
Apprentice Scribe

Post by ScarletArmstrong »

What you guys need to realize, is that +Nyx has it set up the way she planned. She doesn't want to change it. It is her quest, and she has spent days to get it to this standard. And really, there is no point in changing how it is. Besides, if she were to change it, then others would complain with THOSE changes. No quest is going to be 100% convenient for 100% of the population. We all have schedules, appointments, and commitments. And it seems really unappreciative to all the work put into these quests, to try to pressure the creator(s) of them to make it more to your individual liking. Just relax and enjoy the times that you can do them.
“Life is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not.” ~ Oscar Wilde
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

First, there is no functionality in the game that would allow us to run quests the way you describe. I have no idea if it is even feasible/possible that it could be coded given the very old and limited nature of the game, and I see no reason to push +C to even try to do so when there are literally hundreds of other things on his to-do list which are more important, pressing, and would net us all much more benefit for his time spent.

On top of that, I don't even care for that idea - as Silent said, it would create periods of each day where a quest would be almost impossible to complete because so many people would be running it at that same time. That happens to an extent currently, since a number of folks share similar RL schedules, but it would be worse if everyone was trying to complete multiple runs in a short period of time. So I wouldn't be very likely to utilize this functionality for many (if any) of the quests.

Scarlet is also right in that people would end up complaining about quests being run that way. As I said in the other thread - people are going to complain no matter what I do. There is no possible way to make 100% of the server population happy in anything we do.

I don't make content by committee. I make content based on what I - from very nearly 6 years of experience making content almost constantly - know that most of our players will enjoy and find rewarding. I also make content based on how I want it to run - my "vision" of that specific piece of content - no one else's. If I want input on how something I make will be, how it will work, then I ask. I always welcome bug reports or input regarding difficulty levels, etc. But your complaints have not been constructive or helpful. Nor was making a second thread to try and force me to change something I've already stated I have no intention of changing appropriate. You already aired your grievances in the other thread, there was no need to try to make it into a bigger, more dramatic issue, by creating this thread.

You are essentially demanding something that: 1. can't even be done, as the functionality does not exist, 2. I would not do, even if I could, and 3. I - and several of your peers - have already said is not needed or desired.

If you do not enjoy the quest, then simply don't run it. That means you won't get the seasonal totem for this quest period, but that's your choice. Totems are not something that are intended for everyone to have. The shard turned 11 years old a few days ago, and only just over a year ago did +C even allow anyone to implement any form of totem slot item outside of the Grand Auction totem which consistently sells for several hundred million gold. The item is meant to have some time sinking involved in getting it, and this is how +C and I agreed it would be done for the seasonal quests. The only other option would be to remove the totems so nobody gets them at all, which I won't do. The majority of players have loved the addition of these seasonal totems, and the quest requirements for them have been well-received by the majority of players. Again, there is never any way to please 100% of the people, but this is one of those "if it ain't broke..." situations, so I'm not going to fiddle with it, and that's the end of it. The issue is closed, there is no need to continue attempting to convince me to change this quest (which has been run this way since 2013 or so and is a well-loved quest) to suit your wishes.
kivan78
Apprentice Scribe

Post by kivan78 »

this will be my last post about this matter, because, you know, its clear that's is pointless to have any discussion when:

1. The person who made the quest , wants the quest to be this way because she wants the quest to be this way (circular reference)
2. People reading the post see different ideas as a personal attack to the creator of the quest , that's not the case, i don't even personally know her, i just play the game
3. If suggestions are seen this way.. wow, keep doing what you do, nobody's perfect, but maybe you are Nyx..

take care
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

kivan78 wrote:this will be my last post about this matter, because, you know, its clear that's is pointless to have any discussion when:

1. The person who made the quest , wants the quest to be this way because she wants the quest to be this way (circular reference)
2. People reading the post see different ideas as a personal attack to the creator of the quest , that's not the case, i don't even personally know her, i just play the game
3. If suggestions are seen this way.. wow, keep doing what you do, nobody's perfect, but maybe you are Nyx..

take care
That's not how you make an item difficult to get...
Because putting a limit in the 24 hours is the same in term of invested time. You are just annoying people who works and are not retired or unemployed...
People are going to complain because the cap of repetitions is spread in 24 hours ( 2 or 3 repetitions in the span of the 24 hours) instead of 1 repetition every 8 hours? Don't think so.
You really think it's a cool way to make a quest difficult to have people logon and play 30 min every 8 hours?
Doing the same stuff 40 times is already tedious, can we at least decide how to manage our time?
This was never a discussion, or a suggestion. It was a complaint fest because you didn't like the mechanics. After you complained, and were told it wasn't going to get changed, you formed a 2nd thread to try to rally the shard behind you against an admin, to get it changed because you felt she was being unfair, and not listening to your "suggestion".

As staff, we see much more than the average player. We get the help requests, and comments about things that you never see. So please don't try to form an opinion based on what we see, unless you also see it.

As for your original question from the 1st post, yes. You can absolutely decide how to manage your time, within the constraints of the game mechanics provided to you.

There are always reasons why we do what we do. Next time if you have a suggestion, try posting it in a manner where it comes across as a suggestion, rather than as a complaint about something you dislike. Perhaps something along the lines of...

Would you consider making this twice per day, instead of once every 8 hours? With my work schedule it's difficult at best to complete it the number of times needed for the totem that I really want.

OR maybe:

Can you explain why you chose to limit this quest to once per 8 hours, instead of twice per day which would be a lot more convenient to me and possibly others?