Howdy~! ^_^ New to UO itself as well :3

Name says it all
Niihrazaiya
Passer by

Howdy~! ^_^ New to UO itself as well :3

Post by Niihrazaiya »

Hai there! Just thought I'd poke in and introduce myself.
I'm Niihrazaiya :3 Both here and ingame. And I'm new to both the server and UO itself. Niihra's a necromancer currently and I'm... well.. I'd like a little guidance or help XD

Anyone willing to divulge a guide or the likes? Or is it sandbox to the extreme in that I can do whatever the heck I want?
Aldero
Apprentice Scribe

Re: Howdy~! ^_^ New to UO itself as well :3

Post by Aldero »

You should check out the WIKI.
There is a section for new players.

http://uoex.net/wiki/Main_Page

This is a 'sandbox' game, but there are lots of special quests and rewards for new players.

Have fun and good luck. :mrgreen:
Versales
Elder Scribe

Re: Howdy~! ^_^ New to UO itself as well :3

Post by Versales »

Versales wrote:Hello,

Well, to answer your reply, the gains here are pretty fast, there are, however, some that require time, effort, and money to get up past 100. You can visit the training room and use a special dagger to train all of your fighting skills up to 75.

This shard is quite good for tamers, almost all the new players end up using taming. A lot of people will start with taming at 50 and save to buy a +10 taming power scroll and use their +60 skill ball to get taming to a quick 110. There are a lot of tamable creatures here, the highlight, however, is pet breeding. You can turn almost any pet into a formidable ally by breeding. I've fought with a pack of chickens, llamas, cats, and many others. Using pets will get you quite a ways. It makes it easier for new players to farm up some gold, compete in champ spawns, run the gauntlet, and many other activities.

While magery is a good skill, its not really used much past casing bless, reveal, mark, real, gate travel and the occasional summoned pet.

The real skills people use are mace fighting, archery, and swordsmanship in addition to their taming. You will see almost everyone has a war-hammer or double-axe well as a Yumi. This is because you can do the most damage this way. Also, as a new player you can send your pets in to battle and stay on the outskirts and shoot things.

An important skill to train up early is Spiritspeak, with this skill you can cast some pretty powerful spells. The best healing spell in the game in my opinion is a cleric spell. There is also an angelic form you can cast on yourself which allows you to gain a surprising advantage, I won't spoil it here.

Another feature here is that once you reach 220 dexterity you instant heal with bandages. This allows people to fight some pretty tough monsters without their pets at all. Though, in my opinion, this is something that should NOT be rushed!
Enjoy the ride along the way, save up and earn your 220 dex and you will be much happier for it in the long run this I promise you!

Crafting is ok here, its helpful to craft lower reagent cost (LRC) gear as a newbie, there are some other nice things to do as well with crafting. Gathering can be quite profitable, mining, and lumber jacking, there are certain end game quests which require a lot of gathered materials, and if you can gather all the required materials you can sell it as package to players, or save the money you'd spend buying it yourself!
However, most weapons are either artifacts or looted weapons, artifacts because they have special abilities, and looted weapons because they get 5points per level rather than the 3 that crafted weapons do.
However if a weapon is an artifact, beware, is it has an artifact rarity tag it will only get 3 points per level unless the tag is removed and/or the weapon is changed to another type!

There is a new player champ here that only players who are under 21 days can participate in, it drops crafting power scrolls. it spawns around every 4 hours or so. Beware though its not the most difficult of champs, you can die there! So I'd suggest a little skill training *coughs* pets *coughs* as well as getting some archery!

There are additional quests that are only available to newer players. This is the Mistvale quest line. You can get some gear that is only wearable for your first 6 months here. They are account bound and they can be a game changer while you make yourself more powerful. There are also a couple quest items you can sell and make quite the profit from! Or keep them as your own! they are quite powerful!

You can AFK macro skills here as long as they aren't profit making skills. So things like, fishing,mining, lumberjaking, all need to be done while you're at your computer. There are occasional AFK checks to make sure you are present if you are farming, just be sure to be at your computer and answer the check and you have zero problems.

A couple last notes to this unintentionally long reply!

Be sure you read the wiki! There is SO much information there that even as a veteran player I find myself checking back over things. A lot of answers to general things are found here.

There are guilds that will take you in as a new player and show you around! Take advantage!

Before you ask a silly question like "What is the GoC quest?" make sure you've read the wiki, because the reply you'll most often get is "read the wiki" However, if you have read it, and still have questions, people are usually more than happy to address your question!

You can donate money to get a head here, but in my opinion the people who stick around the longest are the ones who take their time to get ahead. Sure you can spend some real life money and "win" the game in a couple weeks. After that people tend to get bored and leave. Take your time! See the sights...die at the sights, get ressed at the sights and then, RUN from the sights! If you take your time you get to find out what you really like, you get to know the people, the staff, even the houses! You can build an empire! The ED's you can donate for are also available by buying them with hard earned gold!

[exex is your friend, you can store things here! You can buy/sell things here!
[c is to speak in world chat
[g is to speak in guild chat

Sorry for the long ravings of a mad man!

Val

This is from different forum post when someone had a similar question, so I found it and posted it here :P
Valorian in game!