Voting rewards

Name says it all
Ldy Brambas
Apprentice Scribe

Re: Voting rewards

Post by Ldy Brambas »

Yes thank you kindly for looking into this as I know you all are busy with the shard.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

+Colibri wrote:the site is reporting IPv6 IPs, and that's something that the vote reward stone (nor the server) is not compatible with.
OIC, gtop100 enabled IPv6 for their web site so any user with an IPv6 address uses IPv6 to connect instead of IPv4. Ouch, that's a tough one. A user's IPv6 address bears no resemblance to the IPv4 address UOEX sees.

On the other hand, there's something folks who want to vote can do: temporarily disable IPv6 in your browser so you will connect to the vote sites with IPv4. That will match the IP address you use to connect to UOEX. Hence: vote stone reward.

In firefox about:config, there's an option "network.dns.disableIPv6". In theory, setting this to true should do the trick.

Adding all the voting sites to "network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains" might also work.
Shylo
Novice Scribe

Post by Shylo »

i just tried to vote again and it was accepted by sites. I stood next to vote stone and claimed after each site, i had none listed on stone. Stone shows my last vote on oct. 11th.I will also continue voting because i love this shard so if i don't get paid...oh well.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Wil wrote: In firefox about:config, there's an option "network.dns.disableIPv6". In theory, setting this to true should do the trick.

Adding all the voting sites to "network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains" might also work.
You learn something new every day :) Thanks for sharing a workaround.

I am just recoding the system a bit so it'll work (sorta) independently of IPs, hopefully will restart server in a few hours with the fix.

@Shylo: keep in mind that only the GTop100 gives the reward, so checking the rewards after voting on each of the other sites will not give any result. But you should still vote on all 5 big-bold links before claiming the reward, i occasionally audit the votes and remove reward progression for those who I find to have been voting only on the gtop100 - just to get the reward. (voting is important on the various sites because they also bring in new players, but they unfortunately don't have pingback systems).
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Shylo
Novice Scribe

Post by Shylo »

Sorry I should have clarified that. I was checking to see if my IP address was changing.
Honus
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Honus »

Last reported vote was 10/1/2016. I vote about every day as my history shows...but i still cant get the vote to count. :?
Ldy Brambas
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Ldy Brambas »

If you do what Wil suggested your votes will count and you will get your reward. I disabled my IPv6 in my windows 7 and my votes counted. Hope that helps you too.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Today's restart featured an overhaul of the voting system. For those who are experiencing issues (or overall if you want to make sure that your vote will count and be rewarded) here's what you do:

- Go to the Town Center
- Doubleclick the vote stone
- Click the "Open browser" button.

This will make it so that your votes will have a special tag - if you vote with that temporary tag, it doesn't matter what IP you voted from - it should always count.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)